Dent removal help!

Guest hudson56

To avoid filler strip the panels to bare metal, metal finish the damage and repaint. This will result in a fixed car, dirty hands and new skills. Avoid using filler over the paint to fill the dents as it will shrink and look horrid. There is no easy quick fix and hopefully was reflected in the purchase price. Luck.

If you are unaware of this:

A dent is more than just a depression. Think of it as a crater on the moon. The metal is dented inwards, but that causes the adjacent metal to rise up, just like a crater. (look at the two dents on the right side of the hood, 6" behind the V emblem. You can see the profile of those 2 dents in the reflection)

So, if you just filled the depression, and then block sanded flat, you will end up with many waves. However, if the depression is carefully moved back out, the raised parts will flatten out.

Some of the paintless dent guys can do miracles on thinner metal and still not need to paint. I am not one to farm out repairs, but I think you should at least get opinions from those guys.

Guest hudson56

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it was reflected in the purchase price... it was an honest sell from the previous owner.

Makes a lot of sense... don't have a lot of experience with body repair but I will take a lot of pleasure in learning and applying this new skill.

Thanks a lot!

To avoid filler strip the panels to bare metal, metal finish the damage and repaint. This will result in a fixed car, dirty hands and new skills. Avoid using filler over the paint to fill the dents as it will shrink and look horrid. There is no easy quick fix and hopefully was reflected in the purchase price. Luck.

Guest hudson56

Thanks for the reply,

I did make an estimate for a paintless repair...

The guy gave me an honest price at around 8000$ and he was not able to fix the spots where there was reinforcement. So to finish the job, I would have to repair/repaint anyway.

Thanks!

If you are unaware of this:

A dent is more than just a depression. Think of it as a crater on the moon. The metal is dented inwards, but that causes the adjacent metal to rise up, just like a crater. (look at the two dents on the right side of the hood, 6" behind the V emblem. You can see the profile of those 2 dents in the reflection)

So, if you just filled the depression, and then block sanded flat, you will end up with many waves. However, if the depression is carefully moved back out, the raised parts will flatten out.

Some of the paintless dent guys can do miracles on thinner metal and still not need to paint. I am not one to farm out repairs, but I think you should at least get opinions from those guys.

$8000 seems a little steep although to be fair, we here are not looking at it. An experienced paintles person should be able to take care of 75% of the dents but it would not be perfect. If you decide to fix the dents correctly, you will learn that it's not the depth of the dent that counts, it the area that you have to cover. You have a lot of work ahead of you.

Guest hudson56

Thanks for the reply,

8000$ CDN (Maybe 6500$US) Everything is more expensive up here...

Repairing the panels is the way to go... simply because its a nice project for me.

I could always find a hood and trunk from another Hornet and replace the original ones but there's no fun in that.

Thanks

$8000 seems a little steep although to be fair, we here are not looking at it. An experienced paintles person should be able to take care of 75% of the dents but it would not be perfect. If you decide to fix the dents correctly, you will learn that it's not the depth of the dent that counts, it the area that you have to cover. You have a lot of work ahead of you.

I have heard of taking out hail dents using dry ice.

What you have to do is put the vehicle in the hot sun for a while. Then put a piece of dry ice in the middle of the dent. This shrinks the metal and makes the dent pop out.

Sometimes it works. It can't hurt anything, I'd give it a try before I did anything drastic.

(For $8000 I'd drive it as is, even if it looked like a golf ball)

That's a very cool car by the way. Is it the 6 or V8 model?

Guest hudson56

I agree with you, for 8000$ i'd leave it like that. The paint is not damaged so... I'll repair it myself after reading a couple of books and practice on salvage car parts.

I think the dry ice trick works on big dents on thin metal sheets.

Thanks for the comment on the car... it really is a nice car and a joy to drive.

Its the V8 352 Packard engine. I also enjoy the fact that its a 1956 - year Elvis became popular.

Thanks

I have heard of taking out hail dents using dry ice.

What you have to do is put the vehicle in the hot sun for a while. Then put a piece of dry ice in the middle of the dent. This shrinks the metal and makes the dent pop out.

Sometimes it works. It can't hurt anything, I'd give it a try before I did anything drastic.

(For $8000 I'd drive it as is, even if it looked like a golf ball)

That's a very cool car by the way. Is it the 6 or V8 model?

Guest Jim_Edwards

Rusty's suggestion of heating the surface and then placing dry ice over the dent(s) is a good suggestion that will work well with more shallow dents, however; I would suggest using a heat lamp rather than relying on the Sun. I've used this technique successfully with hail dents in the past, just don't get the heat lamp too close to the painted surface or you will be repainting whether you want to or not thanks to blistered, wrinkling, or even scorched paint. Hopefully you may not have to repaint right away, but be warned that there is something in hail that often leaves strange affects in the paint where it struck. The spot may look a bit like a speckled chicken egg where the hail struck even with the dent gone.

Guest palosfv3

It is amazing what a Good PDR guy can remove. I have seen it done and have been in the auto repair business for over 40 years. A recent repair to a deck lid on a 2005 Taurus had over 80 hail dents from 1/4" to about 3/4" in size . You could not tell it was repaired and there was no refinishing , only a light buff. There is a matrix used by most PDR guys for pricing and its based on the number of dents in the panel and the R&I of parts for access. The deck lid repair was in the $350.00 range. It must be noted that all panels may not look as good as others since location, size and accessability are key to proper repair.