help identify the year and models

thomaslang

What Keiser said. I think there was little or no difference between 36 and 37. I think the picture shows the three models Cord offered. The one in the middle is obviously a convertible. I believe the one on the right is a Beverly sedan - see the other thread regarding a Cord here. The one on the left appears to be a Westchester long wheelbase sedan.

Terry

These are 1937 Cords, the last year they were made. In fact they are examples of the 3 body styles that were available.

1936 Cords have 7 wrap-around louvers making up their grille. In 1937 they added an eighth to help disguise an increase in height, according to Don Butler's book Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg.

Edited by Dave@Moon
typo (see edit history)

These are 1937 Cords, the last year they were made. In fact they are examples of the 3 body styles that were available.

1936 Cords have 7 wrap-around louvers making up their grille. In 1937 they added an eighth to help disguise an increase in height, according to Don Butler's book Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg.

I count 7 on each car...so...1936??

post-37352-143138170569_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I count 7 on each car...so...1936??

I think you may be right for the first 2 cars. i originally counted eight.

I do get 8 louvers on the long wheelbase car, which is as it should be. The long wheelbase Custom Berline/Custom Beverley was a new body for 1937. I guess knowing that kind of made me imagine extra louvers!:o

I think you may be right for the first 2 cars. i originally counted eight.

I do get 8 louvers on the long wheelbase car, which is as it should be. The long wheelbase Custom Berline/Custom Beverley was a new body for 1937. I guess knowing that kind of made me imagine extra louvers!:o

I still see only 7.

The convertible, in the center, appears to have 1938 Indiana plates. The closed cars have an alpha character on the plate, which was not used on passenger car Indiana plates in the 1930s. Perhaps dealer plates or manufacturer plates had an alpha character.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138170583_thumb.jpg

The majority of both '36 and '37 Cords had 7 louvers. Those with 8 louvers are '37 Cords of the "Custom" series, the Custom Beverly and the Custom Berline with roll up divider window, both with 132" wheelbase, 7" longer than other "standard" Cords, and 2" higher, reqiuring the 8th louver. There was also a stretched Custom Beverly with 135" wheelbase. The Custom series made up only about 20 percent of '37 models produced. In short, the Cords pictured could be either year, unless 8 louvers are present, which I can't detect but may be there. '37 Cords came both supercharged and unsupercharged. A more authoritative source for information about Cords is Josh Malk's 3 books on the subject.