Anybody else snowed in ?

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Lamar,

Glad you are home safe and hope all the Buicks are well covered. Make sure you ration your vital supplies until the roads are clear. You probably now have more snow then we do in the Northeast. At least three of our Yankee Chapter members are now in the south to get away from New Englad winter. Little did they know. Those are beautiful photos.

John

Guest Skyking

Wednesday our weatermen predicted 12"-18" of snow. We got 1/2 inch!

There were more snow plows out that morning than the morning a month ago when we had 20"...............It's hard to believe the southern states are getting more snow than us, but that's OK.

I used to work for Case then CaseIH. In the 50's every JI Case Dealer had a 6' Case Eagle in front of the store. Years back I knew a Case retiree who hid the mold in a Case warehouse in Racine Wisc. He was saving scraps of brass to mold a brass Case Eagle. I think he passed away before completing the task. Now it's hidden away kind of like a Indiana Jones Story.

Edited by Rawja
Let's avoid the political BS, OK? (see edit history)

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read in one of the old tractor magazines years ago that there was only 2 or 3 cast in brass. One was at the factory. I see that there are quite a few of the cast iron ones, and all have big dollar signs on them. I also had a Model D Case Industrial a number of years ago. A very good old friend of mine had a pair of CC's that I use to run from time to time. One would start on a half a flip of the hand crank every time when warm. Fond memories of my youth. :) Dandy Dave!

It's been a pretty decent winter here in central Maine. No snow since Jan 15th but we did have heavy rain a couple of weeks ago and lost about 1' of our snow cover. Can't say that it has been abnormally cold either. Some of your stories remind me of the ice storm in Jan '98. We were without power for 7 days and 12 hours. We took the kids and animals and went to stay with my mother who never lost her power. I came home after a couple of days and drained the water and boiler. When the power came on, I came home first to get things going. It was 33° in the house and it took a good couple of days for everything to feel "normal" again. After that storm, we bought a generator and a chain saw. I'd much rather deal with 5' of snow than that ice. The main difference is that we have the equipment to deal with it. If we got 24" in one storm, the next day we'd be pretty much back to normal.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Did see a breif outburst of news Monday, or Tuesday, I forget which....and I did see Midland street on the news. I missed the part where an ex-city employee went berzerk and killed all the city officials on camera. Maybe you were off getting the truck stuck at that time. Either way, this all just plain SUCKS. Vancouver can have this sh!t!!! Come take it all away...I want my life back to normal again.

Dan I was loving it. All my neighbors (even one of the ones who works for the city now) wanted to know why I quit. I told em the truth.... I was sick of plowing. But Ive come to a conclusion........ PLOWING IS A HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN SHOVELING. As far as the city officials go .... you forget that I was a part of that system and I knew we were screwed for at least several days so there wasnt any point in getting mad.

As far as the news crew went ...... they were from channel 4 , and you know what kind of history I have with them. I wasnt getting anywhere near the camera and if anybody would have gotten killed by a berzerk ex-city employee it would have been the reporter.

Dan

If anyone ever wants a tour (Waterloo Tractor Works or Moline Harvester Works) I can set that up.

For those of us geographically challenged, whereabouts are these?

Dad had a Massey 44 and an IH tractor that I can first remember...wound up trading the IH on a White with duals in the mid to late 70s. All I have at the moment is a 26 hp compact Kubota.

Dad had a Massey 44 and an IH tractor that I can first remember...wound up trading the IH on a White with duals in the mid to late 70s. All I have at the moment is a 26 hp compact Kubota.

I rebuilt a motor for a Massy Harris 44 Special many years ago. A local fellow had the 77th Massy Harris Built. I use to help him get it ready for the local gas up every year. Rebuilt the Motor for a MF 50 last winter for a friend.

Woke up to a whole inch of snow this morning. Called my old friend Jake from Maple Hill NC last night and he said there is 6 inches of snow on the ground there. :eek: Un-beliveable that they have more than us in the great white north. Dandy Dave!

Correct that Waterloo JD Works is in Waterloo Iowa a hour and a half N.E. of Ames. Or 1 hour east of I-35.

Moline, Il (Deere's Headquarters) is just down from Rock Island, Il.

This is where they build Combines and Planters. It is also the site a retro John Deere Dealership and the John Deere Pavillion with many interesting restored items. Like one of Deere's first Cotton Pickers.

The DB (Deere Bauer) Series Planters (sizes from 60' to 240') are built in the little town of Paton, Iowa (population 450) . Also the home of the late Lyle Marshall past BCA Treasurer. Paton is just 10 miles from the JD Dealership where I work and 40 miles from Ames.

I will do some checking with Deere. It's possible they may be on Summer Shutdown in late July

Edited by RICK YOUNG (see edit history)

Guest wildcat62

Derek, you mean to tell me Waterloo did not come up on the F.R.E.D.? :P

Well, you see, there's at least one in Ontario and a pretty famous one in Europe...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

None of that Green and Yellow Iron flows though your veins, Does it Thriller. ;)

Every JD Collector knows there is only one Waterloo.....The Model R,N, and stationary engines even were built and named for this world re-known manufacture, named after the town. That plant produced the first mass produced John Deere tractor model in 1924. The famous model D. :cool:

If my Buick only had yellow Wheels... :)

We are finally getting some snow today. Dandy Dave!

Great pictures. Keep taking them so when you really get old you can show your grandchildren the pics and tell some fibs about how deep the snow really was.

So, at your age, you must have lots of these stories to tell. Too bad you can't document them all with photos. :eek: When did they invent the camera? :P:p:p

None of that Green and Yellow Iron flows though your veins, Does it Thriller. ;)

You got that right. From my earliest memories Dad had the little Massey 44 and a bigger IH. For whatever reason, he didn't like JD. So, the toy tractors and combines I grew up with were red. It doesn't matter much to me at this point, but I think I'm in good company here on the forum with Mr. Corbin.

We finnally got our share of snow yesterday. It is a little tough to judge as the wind blew it around some, but I would say a good 7 inches. Looks like I have to get my redneck snow shovel out this morning. ;) Dandy Dave!

Almost a foot of the white fluff just west of Albany NY. Was glad to have a chance to run a tank of gas thru the snowblower. Now as long as the sun comes out tomorrow and I can get the cars out by Saturday, everything will be alright. What!!! More slop tonight through Sunday? What the ....!!!!

So, at your age, you must have lots of these stories to tell. Too bad you can't document them all with photos. When did they invent the camera?

Hey Dan, we had to rely on artists to document the events of the day. The only trouble with that situation was that the snow melted before the picture was finished.

Stevo

We are suppose to get a foot or so over the next day or so. No big deal. I drove through the Albany snow storm yesterday on my way back to Buffalo from the Troy, NY area.

Edited by serb (see edit history)

Serb et al. Why don't y'all just pack up your Buicks and head on down south here where even when it does snow it only lasts a couple days and it's much prettier than that nawthern snow.

Lookin out my front door with the sun comin in the back one

100_8334.jpg

open up da door and

100_8338.jpg

100_8346.jpg

The number one Joy of My Life

100_8347.jpg

On Buick Pond

100_8357.jpg

10083701807103.jpg

10083621794472.jpg

10083841828232.jpg

More Buickful Georgia snow

My best friends

10083951835803.jpg

some long haired hippy

100_8377.jpg

and The Warden

10084071849113.jpg

a past Project. the Warden promised to let me back in Buick Barn when I finished it...we'll see

10084111854293.jpg

before there were 54 Buicks on the farm there were

10084171861373.jpg

but then I started planting Buick seeds and it became

10084241869981.jpg

10084301886594.jpg

10084421900295.jpg

10084381893728.jpg

10084651768916.jpg

Just kiddin about southern snow being prettier than northern. It's just that when you don't get somethin very often you tend to appreciate it more. Right?

Almost a foot of the white fluff just west of Albany NY. Was glad to have a chance to run a tank of gas thru the snowblower. Now as long as the sun comes out tomorrow and I can get the cars out by Saturday, everything will be alright. What!!! More slop tonight through Sunday? What the ....!!!!

Stay home JD and keep the good Buicks out of the road salt. ;) Think Spring! It's near. :D Dandy Dave!

We are suppose to get a foot or so over the next day or so. No big deal. I drove through the Albany snow storm yesterday on my way back to Buffalo from the Troy, NY area.

Hey Serb, you were almost in my back yard. If I only knew..... Dandy Dave!

More Buickful Georgia snow

Just kiddin about southern snow being prettier than northern. It's just that when you don't get somethin very often you tend to appreciate it more. Right?

I think the difference is your snow is covering trees that are still upright. It's not as pretty when the snow covered tree has fallen down under the weight of the snow.....and under all that is a power line or two. There is something to be said for "Location, location, location".

Luckily we're on the "Georgia" side of this snow storm today, and I'm so glad we are. I can't deal with another big storm. Hang tough Philly.....

Guest Skyking

Mr Earl, I never thought I would ever see Georgia getting more snow than Southern New England. It's been steady rain here for the last couple of days. Not much snow this winter.:confused:

Pond Hockey in Buffalo coming up sponsored by Labatt's.

Played on the icy shores of Lake Erie at the Erie Basin Marina, 112 teams will compete over two cold, long days. The third annual Labatt Blue Buffalo Pond Hockey Tournament begins on Saturday, February 27 -- with division final games continuing on Sunday, February 28, 2010. Games begin around 7:30 a.m. and go to about 5 p.m.

Edited by serb (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
Bob,

Are you retracting that statement now?

Why? We still don't have any. It rained very light today, the sun was out this morning. I'm looking out my window now and seeing my lawn. It's brown.