Anybody else snowed in ?

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Well its been a little under 2 days since the snow started falling. 23 inches according to the yard stick in my back yard. Im stuck. My 4x4 is approximately 3-4 miles away in a heated storage garage. My car is a beast in the snow and most times I dont need the 4x4..... so I didnt get it out :rolleyes:. I have shoveled the cars out , shoveled the sidewalks and waited for the new plow driver. The new plow driver isnt nearly as good as the old one was. He always made sure this street got opened. Knew the guy all my life , he still stares back at me every morning when I look in the mirror. But he quit public works and I still get mad at him for it. Lets not forget the Pontiac Sunfire thats blocking the middle of the street with a blown tranny from trying to get unstuck. Something tells me Im not getting out of here till April.

Anybody else got any good storm stories ?

Dan

Guest my3buicks

I wanted out of the driveway before my son came to plow me out - I plowed the driveway myself with the Subaru, it is amazing where it will go. We also had 24" plus some drifting on top of that. Was on the PA turnpike last night from Rt 8 to New Stanton and they had it cleaned beautifully and it was mostly dry.

post-30591-143138169991_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138169996_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138170002_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138170005_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138170011_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

No offense but the midwest has gotten storm after storm since December 10ish.

Our kids have missed so many days of school, they no longer want snow days.

We have had 2 12+ inch storms and are getting another 6 inches on Tuesday.

We have had 45.7 inches of snow in this winter season.

Yesterday was a grueling day of plowing and shoveling. Got a wide enough path for a car to get out. I am in a rural area and many people have some form of snow removal but many were ineffective due to the depth and weight of the snowfall. Last one this big was 93 then before that 1890 so its no wonder most people aren't equipped for something like this.

I sold my truck/plow last year and really miss it with a snow event like this. All I have now is my little International but with calcium filled tires and chains I managed to plow out myself and a 3 other neighbors.

I am getting too old for this. Next year I'll have a plow for the new truck.

post-50687-143138170016_thumb.jpg

Wow. We're getting a bit of snow here, but nothing like that. I guess we are far enough north that it is colder and the air won't hold as much moisture...or something. We do get some drifting though.

Here's a couple photos from last weekend. The before photo is shot from essentially bare gravel. I'll have to give the Stihl a bit of a workout when I get enough time out there to deal with the tree that got blown down.

post-32068-14313817002_thumb.jpg

post-32068-143138170303_thumb.jpg

Only about 6" here. Little more than a nusience snow. 24" to the South and 24" to the West. We have a flock of maybe 100 robins that have been here for about a week. I hope they like frozen worms. We always put out bird seed but have never seen a robin eat any............Bob

Guest frazer51

Well here in S.W. Penna. we got around 12 to 14 inches while in the higher elevations they got 27 inches. Our friends from down south requested to see a snow angel. So after the wife shoveled the driveway she made a snow angel in the yard. By the way it was a short driveway.

post-61302-143138170413_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138170421_thumb.jpg

post-61302-143138170428_thumb.jpg

last year we had 156 inches of the good stuff

the year bevore, 128

this year only about 80 inches so far

we are used to it

the snowblower blows it up the side of the house and insulates it, last year in the back of the house you could have walked out the second story window

lived here all my life and just can't seem to pull away

we also get with the snow -20 alot of the times

ain't wisconsin great:)

Greg

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Hiked over to the garage last night in a vain attempt to get to work this morning. Got the 4x4 stuck now too :rolleyes:. Even thought about taking a bus to work this morning but the bus I would take from here to town and the bus I would take from town to work are both not running this morning. In the blizzard of 93 I was still that public works plow driver guy so I really didnt have to worry too much about getting around. I was at work long before the snow started falling , I took care of my primary routes and then the next street I did was MINE!. Still not used to being on the sidelines I guess.

Dan

After I retired in '03, my wife and I have been contemplating moving from eastern MA to someplace warmer and not have to deal with snow. We've been looking in VA and NC. Now we have to rethink all this since these states are getting more snow than we are! Ground is bare as of late. We just dodged the snow from Friday/Saturday but are now expecting about 1 foot starting Wednesday...I absolutely hate snow!!

Here in Owings Mills Maryland we got 26". I have been shoveling out my approximately 85 foot long driveway for the last two days. Woulda shoulda coulda got a snow blower but now there are none available. Now they are forecasting another 12" to 24" starting tomorrow (Tuesday). :(

Yup, 12" forecast for wednesday. Everyones bitching but I kinda like the adversity of it. My wood pile is right by the back door. The stove is fired up. Just picked up a bottle of brandy and two cases of beer. Chains and blade are on the tractor. Bird feeders will get topped off tomorrow and still have lots of hay in the barn for the horses. My two labs love to romp in the stuff and dig for field mice in the fields and are eagerly awaiting more. Let it snow......Life is good...............Bob

This year has been an exception as we have not been hit by all that much yet in upstate NY. My faithful old snow shovel is ready for when it does come though. and in true redneck fashion, I keep it right outside the door. ;) Dandy Dave!

My Red Neck Snow Shovel with Heated Cab......

post-44142-143138171042_thumb.jpg

This year has been an exception as we have not been hit by all that much yet in upstate NY. My faithful old snow shovel is ready for when it does come though. and in true redneck fashion, I keep it right outside the door. ;) Dandy Dave!

My Red Neck Snow Shovel with Heated Cab......

Dandy Dave,

Nothing like an enclosed cab. Nice. Hoes does the hoe work with the chains? Whats the deepest snow you have cleared?

I have a NH 555 D 2WD full size hoe but I never got chains because I thought it would be too squirrely on the hills we have down here. After this deep snow I am thinking maybe its worth a try.

Guest cardinal905

Anybody wanna form a new Florida chapter ? I am thinking Miami, they need a lot of original cars down there to offset all those raped customs !!

I've been traveling a 4 county area for 27 years. For the first time 2 weeks ago my company car ( a Lesabre Ltd) didn't make it home . A snowplow got me the last 2 miles. I have driven in some "White outs" before, but that was the worst. Then again this past Monday and stuck in a customers driveway last night. Sounds like another storm hitting Iowa on Valentines Day. I'm sure it'l be headed up "Pa. way" by next week.

Dandy Dave,

Nothing like an enclosed cab. Nice. Hoes does the hoe work with the chains? Whats the deepest snow you have cleared?

I have a NH 555 D 2WD full size hoe but I never got chains because I thought it would be too squirrely on the hills we have down here. After this deep snow I am thinking maybe its worth a try.

Chains will make it ten times better. Get the double ring type. Very agressive, and they don't break as easy as the cheaper types. I have pushed out drifts that were 6 foot or better in a neighbors driveway that is mostly up hill. The nice thing about a loader is that you can always scoop the snow up and dump it out of the way un-like a plow on a truck, which has its limits to how far you can push the snow before it will not go anymore. The back hoe helps a lot as it adds extra weight to the backend. A tractor, with just a loader will not push as well because, most the weight is on the front end, and lighter rear will cause the wheels to spin, The back hoe balances the weight. Plus, if you get stuck, you can pull yourself out with it. :D My brother has a 555B Ford, which is an older version of your New Holland. I also operate, and repair, a 655A for a local fellow often. My old Massy has a Perkins diesel, and starts real easy even in the cold .They're all good when they run and work. :) Dandy Dave!

Woke up to about 4" of new snow here NW of Allentown. No problem making to the diner in light snow for breakfast. It started REALLY coming down about 0900 and has put at least another 5" down so far. No wind yet but it's fcst to gust near 40 later on. No sense doing my lane yet. I may take the blade off and put the big blower on. Looking forward to nice brandy after plowing. 65 horsepower 4WD New Holland T1040 but no cab.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Friday night I got home just before my route home was shutdown due to the snow. Made something, can't remember what now, for dinner and settled in for a night of TV and letting it snow outside. Wasn't long into those plans the power went out. I sat hoping it would return soon, it didn't. Went to bed at 3am. The neighbors still had power, I could see their lights outside.

Saturday morning arrives and still no power. At this point I'm just trying to keep warm as the house has dropped into the 50's. I don't even want to open the garage door due to the cold it will let in. Saturday passes and still no power. As night falls I see the neighbors are now out as well.

Overnight outside temps drop to 0 or something close to it, I'm not sure, info on the radio is sporadic at best on temps. Inside the house has dropped to 45 and I've now quit looking at the temp. I know it's cold, every time I exhale, I can see my breath. I have a generator at my garage but it's 15 mins away by car when it's a dry day. I have a snow blower, but it won't start no matter what I try. The electric start is worthless without power. I decide I better start shoveling the car out even though I'm not supposed to be shoveling. I get about 10 feet shoveled out behind the car, the snow is 2 feet deep.

While inside taking a breather, the power returns. I immediately try to go start the snow blower to finish digging out...still won't start. After enough tries, the thermal shutoff stops the electric start and I'm back to shoveling. I don't get the car moved today either.

At least overnight I have heat, but cable, phone, and internet are still out...not much contact to the outside world. Monday arrives and I finish digging out. I try to get parts to fix the snow blower to clear the rest of the driveway...no luck yet. I find out the neighbors all abandonded the neighborhood Saturday afternoon and are still away....still no power for their side of the street.

I go to work Tuesday, uneventful day, but I can't check e-mail on work computers, so still kinda disconnected. I get home as the next wave of snow is starting. Still can't start the snow blower, so I shovel again. Neighbors are still out. Cable is back and I see a little TV, but it goes out again.

This morning I still have no cable, phone or internet. Roads are all ice covered and I f-ing hate this. I was up early enough to see the neighbors are still out of power today. I was out for 2 days, they're running on 5 days now.

Did see a breif outburst of news Monday, or Tuesday, I forget which....and I did see Midland street on the news. I missed the part where an ex-city employee went berzerk and killed all the city officials on camera. Maybe you were off getting the truck stuck at that time. Either way, this all just plain SUCKS. Vancouver can have this sh!t!!! Come take it all away...I want my life back to normal again.

Oh yea, that driveway is getting covered more today, and I haven't dealt entirely with the original 2 feet yet. Snowblower still not working, looks like a carb rebuild is needed....time to shovel again when I get home today.

Say Bhigdog, I,ve never seen a T1040 Ford tractor? Would that be an Industrial? How about a picture? Dandy Dave!

Sorry Dandy, total brain fart on my part. I traded my old Ford 3930 on the New Holland (Fiat, made in Italy) so was still thinking Ford. Got the model all screwed up too. It's a T-4020.

Got about 20" of wet snow here. The 4020 had plenty of power but even with 4WD had a hard time of it. I have R-4 tires all around and I'm thinking maybe chains for the front too........

Hey HurstGN; it sounds like you are in a bad way.

Just in case your snowblower is Techumsa powered: These carbs usually have a round lower fuel bowl that is held on with a center bolt/jet deal. As I recall the jet part is about 3/16" or so in diameter and about 1.5" to 2" long. Part of it is a smooth shaft, then changes to external threads. Look right near where the threads start, for a very tiny hole drilled through the side.

You almost need a magnifier to see it if it has light colored corrosion plugging it. Use a single strand from a wire brush to clean it out. That is the main issue with these carbs.

I would gladly take snow right now here in CT. They had predicted for 2 days that we would get 10-16" of blowing drifting snow. They cancelled most schools LAST night, for today. Around noon they started to change the forecast. We maybe got 2". I hate snow, but my son who just turned 18 on Sunday could not find afterschool work because he was not 18. He had a job at a local school, but they ran out of money. He spent $100 on a beat up old F-250 plow to put on his old Ranger pickup. It was a big job to get it working and beefing the suspension. He was hoping to cash in today/tonight to try to earn enough for his insurance.. I feel bad for him as he has tried so hard to earn money. Maybe next time :)

Well we got 6 - 8 inches of snow here in Raleigh, NC last week, and the Governor declared a state of emergency. Schools and offices closed. Folks here are not equipped to drive in the snow and you take your life in your hands if you decide to venture out on the roads. For me personally it was irrelevant as I spent the first 35 years of my life in Alaska. They never stop for snow there under any conditions. In the Alaskan winter (which is about 8 months long) it's just another day...

This is what we use. A JD 7800 MFWD w/ Duals and a 12' Gnuse (pronounced Ga-noose) Bucket.

Don't worry to much about fighting to get to work. Yesterday morning one of our technicians got hit by a Semi on his way to work in the snow storm. He did not survive.

Say, nice snow shovel! Are you a JD dealer rick? I have a 1939 A on rubber in my shed. Also a 1937 B Orchard. I have a dealers sign that came off of the local JD dealers building when stopped selling JD equipment. It is about 2.5 x 6 foot porcelain sign from the 40's or 50's. I built a frame around it with fold our legs and take it to the JD shows on occasion to display with my tractors. We had mostly JD equipment on the farm, so I'm partial to the Green and Yellow. :)

Sorry to here about your Technician. Tragic. Dandy Dave!

Hey HurstGN; it sounds like you are in a bad way.

Just in case your snowblower is Techumsa powered: These carbs usually have a round lower fuel bowl that is held on with a center bolt/jet deal. As I recall the jet part is about 3/16" or so in diameter and about 1.5" to 2" long. Part of it is a smooth shaft, then changes to external threads. Look right near where the threads start, for a very tiny hole drilled through the side.

You almost need a magnifier to see it if it has light colored corrosion plugging it. Use a single strand from a wire brush to clean it out. That is the main issue with these carbs. :)

I've been there and done that myself a lot of times. I would also add that you should drain the gas and put in fresh if it has been in there since last year, or before, as it just does not keep like it did years ago. Weather Tecumseh, Kohler, or B & S. The newer horizontial engines have similar carbuetors. they all seem to gum up faster with this trashy fuel that we are getting these days. One nut and the bowl will drop down. Wash it out good with carb cleaner. Dandy Dave!

Sorry Dandy, total brain fart on my part. I traded my old Ford 3930 on the New Holland (Fiat, made in Italy) so was still thinking Ford. Got the model all screwed up too. It's a T-4020.

Got about 20" of wet snow here. The 4020 had plenty of power but even with 4WD had a hard time of it. I have R-4 tires all around and I'm thinking maybe chains for the front too........

Gotcha now Bob, Nice Tractor. :D As close as I can come to the Long Line of Ford - New Holland, is a 1960 fordson Power Major that I restored for myself several years ago. I do Brush Hogging and York Raking with it. I don't think that there is a major brand of tractor that I haven't owned, operated, or worked on at some point in my life.

Think Summer, :D Dandy Dave!

post-44142-14313817211_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

I'm a Salesman at a JD Dealership ( www.harcourtequip.com ).

We had Farmall's when I grew up so don't know alot about 2 cylinders.

They have a very active 2 Cylinder club over at Waterloo. Also a retro JD Dealership in Moline next to the JD Pavillion Just down the street from the Combine Plant.

That sign should be worth some bucks. We had one (black, red, yellow) for years on the store front.

The family who used to own the dealership here has a unbelieveable tractor collection including a Case Steam Engine (1 of 2 existing in the world) and a Case Eagle ( 6' foot tall cast iron )

If anyone ever wants a tour (Waterloo Tractor Works or Moline Harvester Works) I can set that up.

Edited by RICK YOUNG (see edit history)

Gotcha now Bob, Nice Tractor. :D As close as I can come to the Long Line of Ford - New Holland, is a 1960 fordson Power Major that I restored for myself several years ago. I do Brush Hogging and York Raking with it. I don't think that there is a major brand of tractor that I haven't owned, operated, or worked on at some point in my life.

Think Summer, :D Dandy Dave!

Now thats a handsom little tractor, Dandy.

My dad had Perkins powered MF's so I was kinda partial to them. My first tractor was a nice little Ferguson T-30 that I cosmeticaly restored to real nice condition. Actually did body work on it etc. It was real cute but just couldn't do what it needed to do so I traded it on the 3930. I just traded the 3930 on the T-4020 this fall. The Ford (now NH) dealer is only a mile from me and has always treated me real well so that's what I buy. It's nice to be able to just drive the tractor over if I there's something I can't do on it or he'll just send a roll off for it, no charge........Bob

If anyone ever wants a tour (Waterloo Tractor Works or Moline Harvester Works) I can set that up.

I may take you up on that sometime.

If I rememeber correctly, The 6' CASE Eagle is very rare with only 2 or 3 cast.

I have had my share of IH's also. Farmall Regulars, F-20's, F-12's. International T-20 Tractractor. F-30, TD9 track loader. The two I have kept though the years are gray models, with Red Wheels. A 1924 McCormick Deering 10-20, and a 1924 McCormick 15-30 (Both on Iron with the rare road duty angle iron cleated wheels.) Both run very well, but someday need paint and some sheet metal work. We use to have a "Harvest Day" on my dads farm back in the eightys. We had as many as 5 McCormick horse drawn corn binders working at the same time. I use to run the 15-30 on a Pepeck silage blower durring the get together. The 15-30 just played with it, and rarley got up on the govenor. Great belt power. :D Dandy Dave!

The Ford (now NH) dealer is only a mile from me and has always treated me real well so that's what I buy. It's nice to be able to just drive the tractor over if I there's something I can't do on it or he'll just send a roll off for it, no charge........Bob

It is nice to have a good dealer near by. The MF TO-30 was a nice little tractor, and it is relatively rare with the diesel option, but I can see where it would be short on power for many modern applications like running a snow blower. Dandy Dave!

Managed to get home before the roads became impassable. Saw 3 spinouts on the way.The Kroger Supermarket parking lot was packed and cars backed up a mile so wasn't able to get any bread and milk. Bubbas liquor store the same way, but never fear, I'm never without my JWB. Will probably be snowed in for sure tomorrow as they're predicting 2-3 feet of snow over southern Georgia. Of course you need to use the Nawthern/Southern 1 inch/1 foot conversion factor in understanding what I'm talkin about. Got plenty of firewood and my old Bugle collection so I'm set. Thought I better stop and take a picture in front of my lil pond as I'm sure nobody is gonna believe 2 feet of snow in Georgia.

100_8331.jpg

100_8328.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)