1939 Sequoia Cream Sedan

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

At the risk of Earl calling me a "Philadelphia Lawyer" again, here, for your perusal, is an ad from a 1939 National Geographic featuring a Sequoia Cream 1939 Buick SEDAN!!!!!!!:) Still not proof that any were actually sold to the public though.

The door panels have been installed on the coupe, and all that's required to finish the interior is some carpet for behind the seat, since the mat from Bob's only goes to the seat. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. Since the car is nearly done, I'd like to thank Allan, Earl, Mark, Janne, Terry, and everyone else on this awesome forum for their invaluable help.

22472_1354413658648_1180632791_31105185_3384529_n.jpg

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Billy, go for it! It's only paint! And you could say it's based on the one Buick used in their advertising.

Cheers

Grant:D

Guest Grant Magrath

I believe so Howard.

But one of the members has some factory literature that would suggest that sequoia cream was for open topped cars only. A time machine would come in handy!

Cheers

Grant

• 1 year later...
Here is our 1940 Buick special painted Sequoia Cream AACA Senior and Preservation winner.

Cheers, Dave

P1000948.jpg

This is the color I will paint my car, but I keep getting different opinions on it, basically how yellow it is. Obviously the literature shows a much more yellow color. I believe your car is closer to the Francis Cream color used in 1936 (maybe other years too?).

For example, this car is supposed to be Sequioa Cream also, but it is much more yellow, which I don't like nearly as much as the 1940 posted above:

Seybold_Limited1.jpg

Anyone else have opinions on the extend of the yellow that should be in Sequoia Cream vs. Francis Cream?

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Billy, fly out here, and check out our paint chips! Problem solved! We bought an original paint chip set on eBay a few years back. It has the formulas on it as well. FYI, I believe the 39 Chevy color, Italian Cream is the same as Sequoia Cream.

Cheers

Grant

Well, I guess this answers the question on correct colours and pin striping as well.

Check out the note at the bottom.

Danny

(Apologies to whom ever I nicked the pictures from)

Thanks for the list of '39 colors. I don't think I've ever seen that list before, although I've had my 39 Special since 1972.

I do have a question about the chrome strip that runs along the belt line, or there about on a 1939. Mine does not have any color painted down the middle groove of that strip. But I have seen a buick or two where the groove is painted either red or black. I don't think it should be painted although I kind of like it painted red especially on a black car like mine. Maybe some one can set me straight on this and confirm that the strip should be chrome with no paint.

Also, the word "Special" which is within the strip that runs along the side of the hood has red letters on my car. Is this correct?

As always, thanks for your help and comments.

Jim

Guest Grant Magrath

Jim, this comes up from time to time, and I believe the concensus is red letters and no color in the belt molding. However, I don't think the 100% original police will be knocking on your door at 5am if you wanted to throw some paint in there!

Cheers

Grant

PS If you ever get tired of being a "Member", you could always go to the CP and edit it to say '39 Buick Team Member if you want. Unless you need to be a senior member first, in that case, disregard for a while!

.... Authentic, or owner's addition I don't know.
Red in the molding is owner addition in my view. I looked at this in Flint 2003 at 2 very original cars (the black very low mileage 61 & Wayne's original unrestorted green 41) and others

Jim, this comes up from time to time, and I believe the concensus is red letters and no color in the belt molding. However, I don't think the 100% original police will be knocking on your door at 5am if you wanted to throw some paint in there!

Cheers

Grant

PS If you ever get tired of being a "Member", you could always go to the CP and edit it to say '39 Buick Team Member if you want. Unless you need to be a senior member first, in that case, disregard for a while!

Okay, Grant I'll own up and admit that I had red on the strip and on the running board strips as well, because well, I liked it. But then last year before going to Ames I removed the red to try for an Archives award, which I won. Now I'm considering adding the red. True confessions are hard.

I guess that means that my '39 will always have the red - just like the eyes in the photos I take. lol

Guest Grant Magrath

Haha! I don't think a bit of red paint to highlight your stainless trim will make your 39 a street rod Jim! Odd that the "Special" is in red and the hubcap letters are black. But that's what they were!

n1180632791_30315002_7754.jpg

Cheers

Grant

• 2 years later...
Guest Grant Magrath

Ha ha!! Maybe spray a few black spots on the car for authenticity? Then it can be ripe! Buick was quite classy using national park names for colors in 39!

Cheers

Grant