Need Advice on 1980 MGB Restoration

Guest Hillock

Guest Hillock

I am in the process of having a 1980 MGB restored and would appreciate some advice on suppliers of the necessary parts and other equipment. I've never taken on this type of project before, and I am entering some uncharted territory. I have compiled a long list of the necessary parts and I am about to order them. The parts are all available from Moss Motors and from Victoria British (and probably other companies/sites as well). Do these parts come from the same suppliers? Are there any fundamental differences between the parts from one company versus another? Also, I am interested in purchasing a new cloth convertabel cover and a cloth convertable boot cover for the car, and I've found them on the Moss and Victoria British sites, and also on a site called The Roadster Factory. The price on The Roadster Factory site is significantly less expensive than on the other two, and the description of the cloth material sounds similar on all products on all three sites. Can anyone offer advice on how I would determine if the quality is suitable from any or all of them? It's very difficult to tell much from the pictures.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and information you can provide.

The Roadster Factory (TRF), Victoria British, and Moss are known collectively as "the big three" by most LBC (little British car) guys. A lot of the time (but not always) they are supplied by the same manufacturers for mechanical parts (suspension, brakes, tune-up, etc.). Occasionally they are supplied by the same sources for soft parts (tops, interior, trim, etc.), but often they are not. Generally speaking they are each equivalent in supplying quality materials. As a community we are very fortunate to have them!:cool:

As a Triumph guy, I've always been partial to The Roadster Factory. (They supply very comprehensive catalogs for all Triumph sports cars as well as the MGB). More often than not they have the best price, and having dealt directly with the owner on several occasions I can personally attest to his conviction to quality parts over cheap ones. Their tops are sourced from excellent suppliers, as are Moss's and VB's. This is one case where shopping by price is best.

There are other sources that carry the same brand names, like Tops On Line, but they are more generic in service and will not be as helpful (but may be cheaper, depending on what you want).

If you're concerned about the tops at TRF you can call them @ (800) 283-3723. Their customer service is all on site in Armaugh, PA, and staffed with people who drive and work in their own cars. They have the best, most well-informed and honest customer service I've ever dealt with. They'll tell you what problems exist with their products, unlike most suppliers. :cool:

Edited by Dave@Moon (see edit history)

I am currently restoring a Triumph TR4 and agree with everything Dave@Moon said including a preference to The Roadster Factory. I guess second on my list is Victoria British, then Moss.

Some other info I have heard but not confirmed is that the Roadster Factory interiors are made as original, including heat sealed seams on the seat and interior panels; where as the Moss interiors are stitched seams. I personally feel the stitched seams look better, but am planning at this time on going with the Roadster factory interior for a more original look.

Remember this is Triumph info I am giving you and you may want to do some research for an MG.

Bob Beers (Vila)

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

AACA, VCCA, VTR, TRA

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Guest Hillock

Bob,

Thanks very much. I talked to TRF today. They seemed very helpful and I'll almost certainly source quite a bit of the parts I need from them. It's good to hear that several people have had good experience with them. I appreciate the input.

MJH