Ok, What gets chromed?

Dwight Romberger

Hi All,

I am going to take a deep breath and take parts to be rechromed. I am somewhat confused , however, as to what actually gets chromed on my '30 Buick? Some parts seem to be polished aluminium, some are chrome.

Here is my best guess. If any are wrong or missing I would appreciate a correction:

Polished aluminium:

hubcaps

tubes that hold up the headlights

Chrome:

bracket with Buick badge between headlights

headlight buckets and trim rings

cowl light buckets and trim rings

taillight buckets and trim rings

radiator cover

radiator cap

crankhole cover

gas cap

exterior door handles

cowl band

front and rear bumpers

Nickel:

trim ring around dash

gear shift rod and handbrake

interior handles and knobs

Did I miss anything or have anything wrong?

Thanks,

Dwight

post-63449-14313816797_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143138167972_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143138167973_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143138167975_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight Romberger
corrections from advice (see edit history)

Dwight,

Not sure if I can be any help here as I am somewhat confused as well, however note the following:

Buick bracket between headlight tubes ==> Are you referring to the bracket between the headlights with the Buick script emblem? Mine is chrome although I don't know if was originally.

Headlight support bar that reaches from fender to fender and includes the license plate mount ==> Mine is chrome although I have serious doubts this is original.

Some of the sidemount hardware is chrome, although this may not be applicable to your car.

The interior hardware is nickel plated and I think this includes the emergency brake lever. As far as I know the trim ring around dash should be nickel as well.

My car is the same as yours with respect to the balance of your list.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod
text (see edit history)

As a 1938 owner, I can't offer anything of substance - just a quick comment. Are most of your shiney parts nickel plated, not chrome?

I have seen cars of this vintage chrome plated when they should be nickel only - stands out when the cars are side-by-side.

Jeff

Headlight cross bar should be painted not chrome.

Tubes that hold up headlights should be chrome. These are a 2 piece spring loaded telescopic arrangement with the wires to headlights running up them. Make sure the telescopic/spring arrangement is working as you have to plug in the light wires at the base of the headlight. I'm sure these and the base they sit on should be chrome.

The general rule seems to be all bright-ware outside the car in 1930 was chrome ( except for some polished aluminium as noted ) and all the interior was still nickel to retain a softer glow inside at night.

As a 1938 owner, I can't offer anything of substance - just a quick comment. Are most of your shiney parts nickel plated, not chrome?

I have seen cars of this vintage chrome plated when they should be nickel only - stands out when the cars are side-by-side.

Jeff

Jeff,

1929 was the first year for chrome plating for Buick. Prior to '29, it would all have been nickel, although you do see chrome. Highly polished nickel can come out pretty close to chrome in appearance though.

Now, I didn't pay enough attention - were door handles discussed? Essentially, in the long run, I'll need to answer the same questions for my '29...although if I get something wrong, I can always point to the fact that it is a McLaughlin-Buick and there were some subtle differences :rolleyes:;):D

Now, I didn't pay enough attention - were door handles discussed? Essentially, in the long run, I'll need to answer the same questions for my '29...although if I get something wrong, I can always point to the fact that it is a McLaughlin-Buick and there were some subtle differences :rolleyes:;):D

Derek,

You will have to do detention for not paying attention!!

From 1929 to not sure?

Interior bright-ware should be nickel.

Exterior bright-ware should be chrome.

Have the same excuse with our Holden bodied Buicks - all kinds of differences and some are not so subtle, including in some years body styles not available in the US ( or Canada )

An example is the 1929 Series 116 Roadster - produced in limited number with Holden bodies in Australia but not available in the US ( only available in the US in the Series 121 ). An example of this model has just been advertised for sale by a local club member - if anyone is interested I can post some photos.

Also note that only the master series had chrome headlight, tail light and cowl light buckets....

I have seen the painted steel headlight buckets on some US models.

In Australia the master chrome on brass buckets were used on all series, the same with sidelights and tail lights.

Photo of the 1929 Series 114 Roadster which was not available in the US attached.

post-31244-143138169948_thumb.jpg