Sign in to follow this  
MarkV

Whats it worth? Horror story!

1977 With 46,000 perhaps 146,000 I called the guy told him I would meet him half way and not include the parts and he could buy it for $1500. The parts are worth 300 or 400 anyway.

very few people see the value of "extra parts" when they are buying a used car, assume they only help tip the scale if someone is thinking about it, don't expect to get $X more because the parts are "worth" $y ... other people will be scared off because there are extra parts making them think that the car will not be reliable and it needs a trunk full of extras to get across town ...

That is sometimes true too. Years ago when I was selling my Fiat Spider I presented the buyer with a few boxes of spare parts and a (hard to find) service manual. She was a little puzzled to why I would do this and why I seemed to think I was doing her a favor in offering these things.

Very true. I usually throw in extra parts at no charge. After all what good are they to me when I don't own the car anymore?

I have actually had buyers take rare parts home and THROW THEM AWAY and come to me when they need something asking where they can get more. I mean the same parts they threw away.

Bottom line,it is worth what some one will pay for it ,if you count your time ,most likly it will be a losing battle,but ,was it fun?

When I was done with my 55 Buick rather than haul the scrap to a junk yard I cut what was left of the parts car into pieces and threw them in the woods on an old dump. Then I did a 57 Buick and a 55 Olds. I can't tell you how many times I was back in the woods rooting through the bits and pieces for things I needed. The frame I cut into 1/4's and parts of that I pulled out of the leaves and sent to guy that needed to piece a rusted out frame. My father always said "never throw anything away". After he died I filled two 40 yard roll offs with "stuff". Of course I still remember some of his stuff I chucked that I could of used later........Bob

The extra computer I have for it is worth a few hundred dollars, no joke!

"Horror story"???

Sorry, but this is hardly a horror story and frankly you appear to be too thin-skinned if this behavior upsets you. That's what I call negotiating. Frankly, I would have done the same thing - offer several hundred less than asking price as an opening bid. Did you simply pay full price for your house?

Yes, you will get your share of BS artists when you list a car for sale. I certainly don't loose any sleep over them. If you really think the parts are worth that much, put them up on ebay separately.

"The extra computer I have for it is worth a few hundred dollars, no joke!"

Perhaps, if you need one in a hurry... but you already HAVE one... you just have to find the guy or gal who needs one...

Peddle the extra parts on eBay... that's where you're most likely to get top-dollar for them.

They're not going to significantly add to the resale value of your Seville...

Joe P. offers some tough, but valid advice....

That said, "negotiating" is one thing, the bozo with the new Cadillac (Jay Leno's "buddy") a few pages back was just being a flaming _____... egotist.

:) I like Bighdogs post. What ever I sell I always add 10 or 15% to what I want. This lets me RELUCTANTLY come down a little witch makes the buyer feel good yet lets me get a fair price and best of all a few minutes to BS with folks:),and a few minutes with friends is well worth the few bucks I might lose .

"Horror story"???

Sorry, but this is hardly a horror story and frankly you appear to be too thin-skinned if this behavior upsets you. That's what I call negotiating. Frankly, I would have done the same thing - offer several hundred less than asking price as an opening bid. Did you simply pay full price for your house?

Yes, you will get your share of BS artists when you list a car for sale. I certainly don't loose any sleep over them. If you really think the parts are worth that much, put them up on ebay separately.

I agree 100% with that and already said that at the beginning of the post.

I also agree with the comments about the parts. Anybody looking at the car will just think it needs those parts in order to run. They will have no clue of their value, and will probably throw them out. The only way to get extra money for them is to sell them seperately.

IF the computer is worth $400 I would have sold him the car and kept the computer, then you would have gotten the same $$$$ and we wouldn't be having so much fun in this thread

For what it's worth. There are three prices for everything.

1) the price you want to pay

2) the price I would like to get

3) the price you can buy it for

Something is worth only what someone pays it for. Ever try selling a bottled water in the middle of the desert? How many do you have?

supply and demand, dictates the price.

how fast do you want to rid your self of it.

how desperate are you for the money?

My wife says noting is sacred with me only because everything I have is for sale. It is. Only nobody will give me what I want for it.

Skip

I would hope that everything is for sale except the wife?

Pictures? Price? Is she reliable? Numbers match? All documentation? ;)

Just when I think I'm on a lucky streak, she pops up and finds her way home. Complete with low miles and a warranty. 50/50, 50 minutes or 50 miles, which ever comes first.

Skip

DizzyDale,

I bought the MKV, Mustang, Buick and I had to buy back the '48, I am sorry yours are not as cool as mine! LOL!