I was swept away...

Guest Paul Christ

I know a guy who used to do that to his Jeep whenever we were around a lot of snakes. They kept the snakes from being flung up onto the body by the tires. Maybe that's what they are doing with that '33 Ford.

Can't see all the wheels but railroad inspection cars had sweepers on front wheels to clear debris on rails before they derailed on it, with only rubber tires it could be a streetcar rail inspection car. Looks like Hebrew text on bottom on image? STude8

Guest Gary Hearn
Can't see all the wheels but railroad inspection cars had sweepers on front wheels to clear debris on rails before they derailed on it, with only rubber tires it could be a streetcar rail inspection car. Looks like Hebrew text on bottom on image? STude8

I doubt a straw broom would do much to remove an item from the rails that was capable of derailing this car....

I believe the writing on the photo is actually Burmese, or some other Tibeto-Burman language.

The first thing I thought of for those brooms were the problems that used to be had around Lake Erie with mayfly emergences in early summer, where the road would have so many insects on it that they became slick like ice (especially on bridges). Perhaps there is an insect similar to this in this location (Burma/Laos/Nepal/Tibet/?) that is causing a problem.

There might also be a fine silt from recent flooding on some roads that this is meant to clear away. Bangla-Desh is one of the countries that uses that form of alphabet.

I would doubt that driving down the road the brooms woud remove much of anything and would wear very quickly.

I would believe that they are ornamantal for something like a weddig to sweep away bad luck during / before a wedding, or some other traditional ceremony. On the other end of life it might be used during a funeral to sweep away bad spirits so the deceased can go on to the afterlife with a clear path... Just my thoughts.