Spring Bumper

I'm getting ready to remove all the chrome from my 31 Pontiac so I can finance the rechromer's kids education. I've never disassembled a spring bumper and can't find any info on how best to separate the bumper from the bracing and, more importantly, how to put them back together! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim

Jim-- There are probably 4 bolts on your '31 and none of them should be under tension. The "spring" action per se should come in the chance of a minor bump, pretty much the same as our present day "5 mile per hour bumper". Should be able to take it off with a helper to hold one end or a box to set the end on while you take off the other end.Reassemble the same way,being sure the bumper irons are straight on the car. There should be a level plane from the floor or road. ---Bob

Edited by Seldenguy (see edit history)

Bob,

It's not removing the bumper from the car I'm asking about. It's separating the chrome bumper from the steel bracing. The ends of the bumper are bolted to the brace in something like an eye bolt fashion, but the two pieces are interlocked.

Thanks

Jim

Just did this last week on my '29 Studebaker Dictator...fairly easy process. Good warning about having a helper or box as they will drop off once nut is off the bolt.

My bolts are bent and took some elbow grease to remove. Any one have a resource for replacing these bolts? 6 1/4" long 1/2" bolts with a rounded head (and no, my local hardware store doesn't carry them!)

Robert