Sign in to follow this  
bigblueboat

WHAT DO I REALLY HAVE?

SO have always liked classic cars therefore i purchased a 67 buick electra 225 convertible blue on blue 430-4 wildcat 7.0 the interior is mint electric everything and everything works except a couple litters the chassis is solid no major rust body needs some work do too dents everything original with 49000 miles and i love this car its so great to drive but just not sure wat i have. is it something that people like? wat is it worth?

I would say you have what is commonly referred to as a land yacht. In his later years my father had a '69 deuce and a quarter that he had bought from my godfather. It also had a 430 and got around 18 miles to the gallon while riding like your living room. It had the speed sensor that you could set to alert you when you went above a certain speed.

After my father passed away in 1982 my brother sold it to a buddy of his who ran a maid service. Joe could make his rounds with about 6 cleaning girls and all their equipment.

I think that a convertible would be more desirable than a sedan.

Land yacht is right. My father had a '66 convertible in red with a white top. It was quite the eyecatcher. I loved the slab sides.

bigblue, sounds like a very nice car! I for one would be proud to be seen in the beauty, as I know you are. My one year old Old Car Price Guide shows a #4 car being $5200.00. A #3 is $11,700.00. Remember ,this is just a GUIDE.

If you scroll farther down to the Buick Club forum, you will get more opinions.

Just enjoy. Post pics so we can enjoy.

Ben

Sounds to me what you have is nice antique car that you can have lots of fun in.

My Grand dad always said, "If you can't afford the gas, don't buy the yacht."

Sounds like a nice ride. May it give you many happy miles of pleasure. :D Happy Trails, Dandy Dave!

Well if you like it and I like it there's 2 for a start. I bet if you drive it down town on a nice day you will find some more.

I had a 1968 Electra 225 2 door hardtop with the 365HP 430 motor and it hauled ass. You needed the best hi test gas which you can't get anymore. If you have the high compression, 4 barrel, 365HP engine suggest you stock up on octane booster or install a water injection unit.

If you are not already an AACA member, join-and get connected to your local Region/Chapter. That'll provide you with lots of opportunity to enjoy the car in company with a lot of others who also have the "disease." It'll also provide a support mechanism anytime you need some help with the car. Welcome!

Terry

Hello again Big Blue, as owner of a 1960s full size Pontiac I can tell you:

It will never be as popular or valuable as musclecars or other mid size GM models

It will be far more unusual and interesting at any show

It will be harder to find parts for, but they may not be as expensive when you do, supply and demand and all.

The Electra 225 was right below a Cadillac in the GM line in those days and carried some prestige in it's day, people still talk about the famous "deuce and a quarter" (225, get it?). It is big, luxurious, loaded with equipment, everything GM did best back then. So in summary it will never make the big money in speculation but it will be a very fun car to have and they will never build cars like that again. And lest you worry about gas mileage see our thread about the "luxury cars of the 1970s." Enjoy, Todd

It may never be worth as much as a muscle car but see where the crowds gather when you go to a show, or even drive it down town for an ice cream soda.

Take the kids swimming and then buy them an ice cream. The first ride I ever had in a convertible was in my uncle's 1955 DeSoto in 1960. I still remember it.

...and unlike some other cars of the 60's, you can pull a 30-foot Airstream trailer with it, too, as well as drive down to Baskin-Robbins.