Standard Catalog of American Cars Question

Hello Phil, I do not know the answer to your question but just wanted to say that is a great book, I refer to mine all the time. The two editors are legend in the old car world.

If you haven't already got a source try Old Cars Weekly - Covering the entire field of Collectible Automobiles & Old Cars , I think they were the original publisher. Good luck, Todd

Well, given the nature of the book I would expect a later edition probably does add additional information and/or maybe correct errors. Have you ever read one? If you are interested in obscure cars of the teens and 1920s this is the gold standard, a source for information not available elsewhere. The amount of research they did must have been staggering.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a copy of the first edition of The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942 on ebay, paying $68 for it, which might be a bit high, but I've seen them advertised for over $400. I contacted the publisher, and they said they don't plan on a reprint. I would think the AACA might consider publishing something like this, even if it's on CD or web-based. It could be revised over time, even set up somewhat like Wikepedia where members could add information and photographs. In that way, it could be, in effect, thousands of pages long with detailed information on many makes. That would certainly meet the educational criteria set out in the charter.

Phil

• 1 year later...
I've had my First Edition since it first came out, can't see how you can get by in the hobby without one. Thanks for the heads up on their value, I'll keep an eye on them at the flea markets.

I've had a very nice first edition/first printing copy of Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942 for a few days now on eBay with a $10 initial bid and have had very little response, if anyone's interested.

STANDARD CATALOG OF AMERICAN CARS 1805-1942 Ford Buick+ | eBay

I've had a very nice first edition/first printing copy of Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942 for a few days now on eBay with a $10 initial bid and have had very little response, if anyone's interested.

STANDARD CATALOG OF AMERICAN CARS 1805-1942 Ford Buick+ | eBay

Don't ANYBODY bid on this book. I WANT IT!! O.K.....go ahead and bid, but wish me luck.