1938 Special - trunk info needed

Guest 1938McLaughlin

Guest 1938McLaughlin

I have a 1938 Special 4dr trunkback. Unfortunately the car was incomplete when I got it, everything in the trunk was missing. I need to come up with a pattern/ picture/ detailed description of the raised portion of the floor that sits above the spare tire.

What type of material was it made of? thickness?

Is it a single piece? ...if not, were does it join?

How far to each side of the support does it go?

Any and all help appreciated.

thanks

Edward

Mine was original in that area, so I am pretty confident in this info. Others can certainly confirm as well.

I found a grossly delaminated plywood deck, in two pieces - roughly divided across the middle of the deck (from side to side) with a metal channel. I saved the material as a pattern to cut two new pieces out of plywood - the metal channel width suggested I use 5/8 inch, if I recall. The outer edges of the deck follow the contours of the inner fenders, but leave about a 1/4 inch clearance. The metal channel could be reproduced with two u-shaped pieces, back to back. I didn't fasten the wood to the channel, because the two sections screw into the angle iron brackets, and cannot move. I think the metal piece is just to add stiffness. There is also a bracket that hangs down from the forward piece, to keep the spare tire from moving too far forward.

Make sense?

Guest 1938McLaughlin

That makes sense to me. Explains why the middle bolt holes are closer together on the side angle support pieces. And more importantly I just could not see getting a single piece large enough to cover the hole area, to go it at once.

Excellent description Jeff.

thanks

Edward