Peerless Hydraulic Brake Question

Guest BJM

When did Peerless go to hydraulic brakes (first year)? What was the design? Such as outward expanding to contact the drum as in most American hydraulic braked cars from the 30's to present?

Was it four wheel hydraulic or just two wheel to begin with?

Was it series differentiated?

Jake,

October 1925 the new Peerless models for 1926 had Lockeed hydralic brakes. These were external contracting very similar to the mechanical brakes and on all four wheels. In 1930, for some unexplained reason Peerless dropped the hydralic brakes and went to a cable operated mechanical brake system.

According to the manual: The Lockeed hydralic four wheel brake system, as used on the 1926 Peerless Motor Cars, applies equal braking pressure to all four wheels at the same instant.

RHL

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a Peerless ad for sale on e-Bay today and saw some copy like this in their description of the Peerless V-8 cars:

"Naturally, balloon tires are standard equipment. As are four-wheel hydraulic brakes."

The ad was dated November 17th, 1924 and was commenting mostly on the vibrationless power and quietness of the engine. I've never heard exactly when the hydraulic brakes were introduced, though.

There was a Peerless ad in a British magazine, The Autocar, that had some nice copy about their brakes:

"Your wife or daughter can drive.

The Peerless is fast -- it accellerates rapidly -- but it is essentially a controllable car. The most fragile lady driver can send it hurtling down the road all out and yet pull it to an I-N-S-T-A-N-T stop with a dab of her foot on the hydraulic brakes.

She can start off in top gear if desired -- certainly she will never need to change down, except on the most freakish hills.

Nervousness goes the moment you test the controls on this wonder car: always you feel that you are in charge and not the car.

Peerless have been building luxury cars for 27 years -- hence you are not asked to spend money on experimental models.

The Peerless is undoubtedly the easiest car to drive and one of the safest in the world.

Prices from 445 Pounds****** 2 YEARS GUARANTEE ******PEERLESS The World's Wonder Car" ---11/11/27

Edited by jeff_a
Added a paragraph. (see edit history)

Interesting research. I went back through my manuals and ads and found that the 1923 Peerless had two wheel mechanical brakes on the rear wheels as standard equipment. "Hydralic brakes for all four wheels are offered as optional equipment at an additional price." Some one mentioned that Peerless had two wheel hydralic brakes but I cannot find any thing on that. My records show them going from two wheel mechanical to four wheel hydralic. In 1924 four wheel hydralic brakes were standard equipment.

RHL

• 1 month later...

I received a letter from a Peerless owner in California last week. His car is a 1924 Model 66 { V-8 } Town Sedan. This Peerless is much like the beautiful Mod. 66 Suburban Sedan [ illustrated in the AACA "Gallery" area at the top of the page ], except it's a 5-passenger sedan insead of a 7-passenger, and this one's burgundy instead of green.

His car has 4-wheel hydraulic brakes, roller cam followers , and insert crankshaft bearings. It is a very late Model 66 -- less than 200 cars before the switch to the Model 8-67.

Edited by jeff_a
Added technical data again. (see edit history)

• 1 month later...