Serial number locations...

keiser31

I was thinking about this post for a long time and decided to try it out for size...

Each one of us who knows where the serial number is located and can post a photo of what it looks like on their year/make of car would sort of give newbies a way to spot exactly where to look and what to look for. It would also compile a great list of serial number locations for future reference.

I will start with mine. The serial number on a 1931 Dodge DH6 is on the passenger side front door post and looks like this...

post-37352-143138164561_thumb.jpg

The serial number on a 1931 Dodge DH6 is on the passenger side front door post and looks like this...

As do all other US built Chrysler Corporation cars from 1930 through 1942. Switched to the driver side front door post after WW2.

• 5 weeks later...

Location of engine serial numbers on a 1931 Dodge on the 2 Canadian cars that I have are located in front of the steering box on the frame. On the American frame that I have the motor serial # is located in front of the steering box ,also at the rear of the car just in front of where the wire comes out of the frame to go to the tail light.

I discovered this when trying to find the serial # for our restored 31 dodge driver.The plate on the right hand passenger side has been missing for at least 45 years. So if anyone knows if & where the serial # is stamped on the frame of a 31, please let me know. I have found the serial #'s on my 27-28-29 parts cars behind the spring shackle on the right front.

Glen

post-63263-143138179129_thumb.jpg

post-63263-143138179133_thumb.jpg

post-63263-143138179135_thumb.jpg

post-63263-143138179138_thumb.jpg

Continental Mark II:

Makers plate on driver's door post, stamped into front inner fender on driver's side and on frame rail near the rear of the car. The engine number is stamped into the block by the distributor.

IMG_0176-1.jpg

I've been told that today's cars have serial numbers in locations that require spot-weld removal to see.

My '55 Porsche has the serial number stamped into the floor of the trunk and on a maker's plate on the driver's doorpost. The last three numbers of the serial number are stamped into every removable sheet-metal part, even inner door-post covers. Actually, my hood is not numbered as I believe it's a replacement. The engine and transmission carry their own stamped serial number.

I am fortunate to have an almost numbers-matching car as engine and transmission swaps were so common.