Unknown Wheel Cover: Any Ideas???

Guest RoRi

I've got this unusual hubcap that I can't identify. I'd guess it's from the 50's. It's 15" and stainless steel with a two piece enamel emblem in the middle. I've never seen the emblem before. Thanks for any ideas!

102_0192.JPG

PC240046.JPG

I've got this unusual hubcap that I can't identify. I'd guess it's from the 50's. It's 15" and stainless steel with a two piece enamel emblem in the middle. I've never seen the emblem before. Thanks for any ideas!

102_0192.JPG

PC240046.JPG

The SAAB emblem comes to mind on this one, to me.

The SAAB emblem comes to mind on this one, to me.

I thought of that too. The colors are right... But early SAABs used the head-on airplane profile...

This wheel cover is for an early (1956-62, roughly) Sunbeam Rapier. I've seen them on Series 1&2 Sunbeam Alpines as well (1959-1962).

Thanks! biggthumpup.gif

I believe the actual wheel cover of the one with the Sunbeam emblem is something that was used on more than one car. Without having a picture, I'm pretty sure I've seen that cap on Alfa Romeo, Delage and Delahaye, and the one below is off of a Berkeley.

The Rootes Group cars (Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Simca) were almost an "assembled car", similar in many ways to the "assembled cars" of the 1920s (Moon, Jordan, etc.). They sourced as many of their components externally as possible, which led to huge problems and their eventual demise in the U.S. with the takeover by Chrysler and the coming of emissions requirements in 1968. I wouldn't be surprised to find that this wheel cover was an off-the-shelf item from a supplier that marketed it independantly as well.