39 torque tube/ball/gasket info needed

39BuickEight

I will soon be putting the rear-end back under the car (the frame is all sandblasted and primed and painted, now working to blast the rear-end suspension parts) and I need some parts to seal up my torque tube/torque ball (not sure of the proper term) area. Where is the best place to buy a gasket/kit for this?

I don't see anything from Kanter, and I found this:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cat360/36005.pdf

but it says all except 1939 Special

I also need the funny looking fat lopsided bolt that goes thru the frame and holds it in place (see below). I only need the one for that side. Sorry for my explanation of it, but those of you who know these cars surely know what I am talking about.

There was plenty of oil in the tube and it all feels really smooth, so I think I just need all the rubber parts and the bolt.

1-1-10-3a.jpg

G'Day Billy

Bob's Automobila will have all you need (Boots, mounts and gaskets).

I'd replace both those mounts. It's important that they are in good condition to avoid horrible drive train problems.

Danny

thanks for the quick reply! I will replace both mounts--but I am having trouble finding the bolt for the one side.

It looks like Bob's and oldbuickparts.com are combining? The 2 sites are both partly down right now and one links to the other in some cases.

Bob's shows a listing where you send your brackets in and they "vulcanize" the rubber into the mounts for $130 or so. That seems awfully high for 2 pcs. of rubber. What does "vulcanize" mean? Can you not just buy the rubber and put it in the mounts?

• 2 weeks later...

The rubber covered torque ball must be vulcanized. Same is true of the torque ball mount. Have you tried Steele Rubber for the torque ball mounts. If you can't find that torque ball mount bolt, I can probably help you. I would have to look to be sure, but I think I have extras. There is also a thick washer that goes with the bolt. Not sure if I have extras of that. If you need cores, I might also have some old cores of the torque ball mounts. I never throw anything away. The day may come when somebody can rebuild this stuff. I have a box full of used voltage regulators for instance.

The rubber covered torque ball must be vulcanized. Same is true of the torque ball mount. Have you tried Steele Rubber for the torque ball mounts. If you can't find that torque ball mount bolt, I can probably help you. I would have to look to be sure, but I think I have extras. There is also a thick washer that goes with the bolt. Not sure if I have extras of that. If you need cores, I might also have some old cores of the torque ball mounts. I never throw anything away. The day may come when somebody can rebuild this stuff. I have a box full of used voltage regulators for instance.

This is what I have:

1-27-10017.jpg

I do have the other washer too. I need just the broken long stud (which I have found). The hard part will be getting that old nut off to ut on the new stud.

Steele says the torque boot doesn't need to be vulcanized. I am totally lost on this part now.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Billy, you state you are "completely lost" on some of this rear mount and torque ball tube stuff. Do you have a 1938 Buick shop manual and the 1939 Buick supplement? Lots of what you are trying to get squared away is covered in these manuals. John

actually I do, but I was working on ordering these parts today without the book--sorry about that

My main question arose because 2 different parts places gave me 2 different answers...and they both seem confident when I told them what the other said.

I am sending off the mount for sure, but I'm still confused about the boot.

Thanks for all the help everyone--I do really appreciate it.

First Bobs Automobilia and Cars are two Independant companys. Both web sites happened to be down at the same time. Bobs usually has the rebuilt torque mounts in stock, but you have to remove the bolts first.

Bobs also usually has the rebuilt torque ball in stock too. That also needs a good core.

And they also have the rubber boot in stock!

First Bobs Automobilia and Cars are two Independant companys. Both web sites happened to be down at the same time. Bobs usually has the rebuilt torque mounts in stock, but you have to remove the bolts first.

Bobs also usually has the rebuilt torque ball in stock too. That also needs a good core.

And they also have the rubber boot in stock!

thank you!

Dad and I were busy setting up the new blasting cabinet this weekend.

Any idea if I need to blast the core mounts or just send them in as is? I'll call them and ask too I suppose, just thought I'd ask here while I was typing. :D