Alternative to replacing vinyl gearshift tape.

atikovi

I read the writeup in an older message and followed the first few steps of taking apart the housing but decided to just leave the slider bare. It appears to be made of stainless steel and looks nice to me the way it is. Plus it saved a lot of additional steps and took just 5 minutes to do including lubing it at edges.

standard.jpg

I also centered the PRNOD21 plate which previously the bottom of the 1 was at the edge of the opening and I'll also adjust the shifter cable as the stick was between neutral and overdrive when the transmission was in overdrive.

I did this very thing on my 91. The stainless was so clean (no scratches or marring) when I removed the remnants of the vinyl covering, I saw no reason to mess with it further. I've been quite happy with the way it looks, even if it isn't stock. I have other minor mods that would disqualify me from 400 point judging regardless, so this was not a consideration for me.

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

Kevin,

The so called judges would probably deduct "points" because you didn't have grey valve caps too. Your car looks great!

I did the exact same thing on both of my 92 Rivieras...kinda like the "stainless steel" look. But, after reading the reatta replacement writeup and knowing the Riv replacement procedure should be very close to the reatta's, I might go that route come spring....very informative writeup, by the way.