Alternator/belt squeals?

Guest barra

My 1988 reatta squeals at engine start and at speeds between 45-50 mph. The squeal became constant this evening after 50 miles of driving and the gage cluster showed output of 13.8-13.9 v. I had the serpentine belt replaced a month ago. The car has 106,000 miles on it and I haven't replaced the alternator since purchasing the car almost six years ago. I have had no increase of steering effort. Is there any other part that could require attention or replacement?

Try using soft scrub to clean the pullys. I recall this tip from an auto site. Just put a small amount on the pullys, while auto is OFF, run motor.

I just replaced my alternator because of a bearing going dry and squealing. If it is that you need to deal with that sooner than later because a bad bearing will get so hot the epoxy on the alternator will catch fire (how would I know.....). You can also try to isolate the noise by using a piece of half inch or larger diameter tubing one side in your ear and probe the other side around the pullys and idler.

Guest Bobby Valines

I had to replace tensioner about 130,000 mi. Im thinking it was bad when I got the car. I would suggest to replace before it goes bad all the way. I had to walk home.

Guest steveskyhawk

I had an AC compressor sieze once and everything was fine until I turned on the air. Squeel and smoke untill the AC was off and the compressor declutched. Dont rule out the compressor.

Find the source. If the tensioner is good, it is hard to make a serpentine belt squeal unless you have a bearing that is seizing. Should be easy to find, just start a cold engine and let it squeal for 5-10 seconds. Source will be hot. Belt will soon be thoroughly ex.

Maybe that is why they made the water pump so easy to change. Would be a 1/2 hour job if I did not spend an hour cleaning the gasket surface.

Good antifreeze also acts as a lubricant & distilled water is 77 cents/gal at Walmart. Never use plain tap water except for flushing.

The previous owner [of the black/gray] replaced the water pump prior to my purchase. He discounted the price to me [before I even looked at the car] as he saw it leaking again. Turned out the hose clamp just wasn't tight enough. Two turns with the screwdriver and all is good.

So I have not yet had the thrill of replacing one yet...

I took the reatta to a GM dealership and they put it inside overnight. It ran quietly when they drove it. They kept it over night outside with singel digit temperatures. Again, it ran quietly the next day. I got squeal on start up but it ran well after they gave it back to me. I rarely drive it in the winter exept when my son is home on leave. If the squeal returns, I'll ask for your knowledge again. Thank you all.