Help with build date

Guest Jletus39

Guest Jletus39

Hello,

I am new to this forum and a new Buick owner. I received a 1939 Buick Special as a gift from my husband. (Great Guy!)

I need help with finding the build date for this vehicle.

The vin # is 13545438

The Engine # is 43728870

Mod is 41

Style # 39-4419

Body # 48733

Trim # 700

Paint # 530

Just missing the build date. I have been doing some research on the wiper arms and blades and have read that some were only used for 4 months for some models. Can someone here help with that?

Welcome to the world of 39 Buick's :)

Trim # 700 = Novetly Bedford Cloth Tan

Paint # 530 = Black

Small to large wiper transmission was at 13513037. Your car should have the larger (better) wiper and the long chassis (at 13486048)

Dave Corbin (early Buick numbers guy) may tell the build dates if he reads this thread.

http://www.prewarbuick.com/gallery/1939-1940-PreWar-Buick-Gallery

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Jletus39

Thank You for the warm welcome! A quick trip out to the garage to find that I do have the larger type. The arms are in decent shape but of course I will need new blades. I have so many things to work on with this car I am not sure where to start. So glad I found this forum because I am sure I will a lot questions.

I am sure Mr Corbin will respond on build dates.

As far as more help I see you live in NY, where exactly as we have several strong NY chapters, but NY is a big state so you may or may not be close to a chapter.

As for parts Bob's Automobilia is the source for repro parts. Also I recommend getting a parts manual usually available on ebay repro or original. A lot f parts interchange with other years and series so know that may help you find parts. Dave tachney is a good source for used 37-38 parts so if the part you need interchanges with those years he is the man to call.

Hopefully if not already a BCA member you will consider joining. In 2011 there is a National Meet in the Boston area, so relatively close (at least compared to Iowa and CO Springs). You should consider attending.

Guest Jletus39

We are members of the local AACA in Poughkeepsie, Ny because we also own a 48 & 49 Packard. I received the 39 Buick Special on Christmas Day and am just now getting my feet wet with her. I do plan to join the Buick Club as I think there is one north of here towards Albany.

I have ordered a parts manual from ebay, but not received yet. Hopefully this week.

My first order when I get another toy is: 1. Check fluids both quantitiy and condition.

2. Inspect gas tank and gas lines. I usually drain the gas tank and start fresh.

3. Pull the wheels and check the brakes. Look under cylinder seals for leaks. Check the flex lines. Check the master cylinder for leaks under the boot.

4. Check the condition of the wiring. Old wires burn cars to the ground.

5. Now that you know the safety condition of the car, you can explore the engine operation. Does it run? I usually do a compression check and inspect plugs and points.

6. check all other systems; lights, wipers, horn, generator, starter, radio, heater, etc.

With the above info you can build a game plan based on what you want to do with the car.

Most of all, Have fun exploring your new toy!!

Bob

The 1942 shop manual is very good:- a lot better than the 1938 & 1939 supplement

The 1928-41 Master Chassis & the 1928-41 Master Body books are good

Thread on 1939 Buick literature http://forums.aaca.org/f165/buick-books-etc-256224.html

Guest Jletus39

Thanks for the reply Bob. Steps 1 thru 6 were done when I received her. My husband had bought her in Oct. and stashed her at a friends garage. All the while I thought he was going to the friends house to work on a Mopar!

I forgot to mention that we are mechanics by trade and hobby.

We are in the planning stages as you mentioned.

1939_Buick, thanks for the link on the books. I am headed there now.

Guest Jletus39

First Born

Thanks for the welcome. I have to laugh. My 39 is far from "eye candy" but she will be! I will try to post pictures later.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Jletus:

Since I got mentioned by name, I guess I better jump in and help a lady.

The numbers you give match to a 1939 Buick built in Flint (lead digit of 1 is the Flint plant code) around the 3rd week of April 1939. The engine number was built slightly earlier and indicates an engine built around the 4th week of March, 1939. The lead 4 indicates an engine for a Special (series 40 car). The engine and frame numbers DO NOT match in a Buick. I am quite sure this is the original engine in the car.

The body number of 48733 also is for a Flint car. Buick built 109,213 model 41's for USA use and sent another 2260 overseas. Everything checks to an original car, so welcome to the wonderful (and sometimes strange) world of Buick. As a 40 year member of the Buick Club, be sure to join us!

Regards, Dave Corbin

PS: Keep that guy that bought you a great car!

Guest Jletus39

Dave,

Thank You very much for that info! You are better than any book I have cracked open lately trying to figure that out.

Update: The windshields arrived today, Yeah! Another step forward.

I plan on keeping this man. He is to good to me. What guy buys the wife a 39 Buick for Christmas?

Yet another welcome!!! I bought my '39 in October and have had a wonderful time both driving it and finding help in this forum. These are great people and you will find answers to most if not all of your questions right here. If I can help please let me know.

Have fun!!!!

Guest Jletus39

Thanks to all of you! I feel like I have been adopted into a wonderful family of loving and caring people. That is very difficult to find these days. I am sure we will have many more questions as the restoration progresses.

Actually I need to update my signature. A 1956 Buick Special came to live with us yesterday. As I have stated earlier we are a family of mechanics. We own and operate a family run auto repair and 24 hr. towing business. My husband specializes in transmissions. This week we had a young fellow in need of a transmission for his daily driver but had no $$$. He handed over his 56 Buick as payment for the transmission! I am not sure this was a blessing as she is in gray primer, trim is completely off, interior is in terrible shape, but she runs. The jury is still out on whether she has a permanet home.

Guest Jletus39

PS: I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. I need one of the younguns to help! As soon as I figure it out, I will post the "eye candy".

PS: I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. I need one of the younguns to help! As soon as I figure it out, I will post the "eye candy".

To add images (in a post) on the bottom of the screen

1) Click on 'Go Advanced'

2) On the to row of your reply box you will see a paper clip. Click on it or on “attach files manage attachments" down the screen-.

3) The 'Manage Attachments' window will appear.

4) Click on the 'Browse' button for that window.

5) A browse dialog will appear. Browse to the location of the file on your computer.

6) Click on the file

7) From the 'Manage Attachments' window click on 'Upload'.

8) Close the 'Manage Attachments' window.

9) Submit your reply when the message text is complete

Be sure to check on the upload screen they are attached by scrolling down

Have also read there is a limit of 2000 pixels when posted as an attachment

You can also add images to a gallery. Check your User CP (Control Panel)

For graphics software to resize images (and much more) try IrfanView Homepage (one of the most popular viewers worldwide.) Free to download with many features. Easy to use.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jletus39

I am just now getting around to trying to post the "eye candy". I hope I did this correctly.

Not much progress in the last week or so.

post-66051-143138171506_thumb.jpg

post-66051-143138171509_thumb.jpg

post-66051-14313817151_thumb.jpg