A fantastic night

ronbarn

Here it is approaching the midnight hour, but I just had to sit down and tell you all about one fantastic night. We couldn't make it to the meet in California, so decided to support a request from a friend to drive the '61 Cadillac convertible "Big Red" in a wedding. The bride absolutely fell in love with the car and really wanted it for the short trip from the church to the reception and then from the reception to their home.<P>Now for those of you that don't know "Big Red", it's what I call a great 30 ft. car - for the discerning AACA eye, it looks great from about 30 ft. Closeup there are things that need work but for most people it is one fire engine red, with red interior, white top convertible with real pizazz!!<P>The charming young couple had a beautiful wedding and family and friends admired their get-away car as we drove off to the reception. Food was great and drink was plentiful and then it was time to take them back to their house so they could get ready for a honeymoon in Washington and Canada.<P>That's when I had my fun. With top down, and incredibly clear 70 degree temperature and a near full moon, I drove the 25 miles home. The car was running great, my hair and mustache blew in the breeze, the pipe stayed lit - just absolutely one of the greatest drives I've ever had - it don't get no better than this.<P>And to top it off, I got a new member for AACA (one of the bride's cousins) and a $100 donation to the AACA Library & Research Center. Hope this didn't bore you but I just had to share a wonderful evening with the old car. Ron

Guest BruceW

Ron,<P>Sounds like an excellent night! Enjoyment is what antique automobiles are for.<P>But..... you didn't share the beautiful moonlight drive with your significant other????? smile.gif)

Gosh, it must be nice to live up in them thar hills where the weather is cool and the humidity is non-existant. And I forgot that there are still some folks around who can stay up until midnight! <BR>Seriously, it was a super story! <BR>Patt

Bruce W., you caught me! That was the one missing part of an otherwise fantastic night. As a general practice when we support a wedding, Sally drives her car separately - in case of a breakdown, needing backup, hauling some of the brides extras, and the fact that the newly marrieds like a chauffer, having the chauffers wife in the car is a bit much. As a matter of fact, I really did consider stopping and telling Sally to abandon her car and hop in the Caddy - but it just wasn't practical - but she appreciates you thinking of her. Thanx

Ron:<BR>That sounds very nice. Made a nice 20 miles in the night at 10.30 with my 1912 Cadillac soem weeks ago. But I was alone (sigh). Some saw me with my car and thought that I must be crazy to drive with such an old car in the darkness. But my Cad has bright lights. I think I have to drive more at this time because there were only a very few traffic.<BR>Thanks Ron that you share this night with us. <P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA<p>[This message has been edited by ThomasBorchers (edited 08-14-2000).]

Ron,<P>Its funny, it wasn't long ago that I considered "a fantastic night" revolving around the back seat of a car, not the drivers seat.<P> smile.gif

Guest snkchevcol

Ron:<BR>Sounds like you had more than a little fun. Any chance of making "Big Red" the official car of the DF'Rs. Everybody could just pile in the best they could and you could drive us around the show field recruiting new members! Of course we could all get locked up to.<P>Rock

"Big Red" has been there - done that! During one of the Founders Tours, after a great dinner and a trip out for ice cream, about ten tourists, most in the backseat, made circles around a local eatery/drinkery while one of our prominent AACA members (won't mention any names but he's married to last years AACA President) raised the noise level with a spare bulb horn off one of my brass cars. A lot of the lounge lizards came out to cheer us on! <P>Last Christmas I stacked 21 girls from one of the Brownie troops in "Big Red" - told the local newspaper editor as we passed that I had always been told that the best way to pick up girls is to drive a big red Caddy convertible - it works!<P>One thing I forgot to mention is why this car has the nickname "Big Red". The man I bought it from 12 years ago was the fire chief of Shelbyville, Tennessee. When he bought it he stole several gallons of paint from the fire department to paint the car - Real Fire Engine Red (and now red upholstery.<p>[This message has been edited by ronbarn (edited 08-14-2000).]