Country Classic Cars

I like to look at this site every so often, they get quite a few interesting cars' although I know many of them aren't as nice as they look. There is a 76 Riviera that has been there for a very long time and it doesn't seem priced too high. It sure looks nice in the pictures but I suppose it is a little to new for many of us but what a nice road car to take to nationals or where ever.

Country Classic Cars L.L.C. - Antique and Collectable Cars and Trucks - Cars

There is a newcomer to there also, another not so collectable car to many but a very nice cruiser with A/C also

And finally a really nice looking 1956 Roadmaster that really looks nice but may be priced to high, it also has factory A/C.

Edited by sintid58
spelling (see edit history)

Sid,

To be honest, I view this website weekly. I am going to purchase 2 cars probably no later then fall 2010, maybe sooner. I own four Buicks, all non running full-on projects undergoing restoration. They won't see the light of day until 5-7 years from now, but I am working on them.

I'm 46, I really don't feel like waiting until 2015-2018 to enjoy the Buicks I am doing now.

Many have "bashed" Country Classics without understanding that they fill an important void in the dealer websites. We all roll our eyes at the $75,000 cars that we know are either never going to sell or will sell to those with more money then brains.

Yes we say "oh this Country Classics, beware", but they aren't asking VOLO money, if you know what I mean.

They are what they are. Or to quote Dennis Green of the Phoenix Cardinals "They are what we thought they'd be!"

1. Go in person. I suspect that these cars sit mostly outside and do settle in. Expect that they won't start right up. Understand that most of the interest is Internet based - and based on the 5-8 photos Country Classics has on their website.

2. Cash Talks. When I go I plan to have my cash in pocket, ether partially mine and some financing. If you go in looking to buy 2 cars for their listed, say, $15,000 - I suspect you can get themf or $10,000 to $12,000. If you are looking for only one - then cash still talks. Be prepared.

I spend regrettably 3-4 hours a day on the old car hobby including using the site mash tool, checking saved websites like AACA and Country Classics - and I keep going back to Country Classics because they offer value.

I am very sick of the greed in the hobby. You know darn well the "usual suspects " of the dealers are buying cars for .50 cents on the dollar and asking $100,000 for what were neat but otherwise not noteworthy cars the late 60's/70's.

I'm specifically talking about the muscle car craze.

Now - to use your example #1 - the 76 green Riviera. It is offered for $7550.00. Is there any question - after being offered for 2 + years - that a $6000 or less cash offer would not be accepted?

In my case I am thinking about piggybacking 2 cars into one purchase so believe my savings will be even better (if it is still there).

Now compare that 76 Riviera to what else you can get. For $6,000 you could not even get a down payment on a dealer offered muscle car, Pick an example - a 1970 Stage 1 hardtop (note: a bargain compared to a stupid hemi Mopar which it could beat on the 1/4 miles) ---> $70,000

Sometimes dealers put $100,000 on Chevy muscle cars just to see if the potential buyer willliquidate his 401k for an "emotional" purchase. Clearly these guys did not learn anything!

For, say, $6,000 a buyer gets an interesting, styled car from thr 70's. Period correct colors that's for sure. People will walk over to your car at a car show after getting bored with the row of Chevelles. They all look the same! Hello!

You've got this cool styling, road wheels, psychodelic colors, white interior, green dash - oh! the details of this car! 455 same as the muscle cars. Smiles per miles same as the muscle cars for $6,000 !!!

That's a gorgeous car and it will be on my radar when I visit BUT Country Classics has literally 15-20 interesting Buicks in buy-it-now shape. I will be looking at ALL makes as they have literally 35 cars that I could purchase 2 cars to enjoy for $15,000 to $18,000 easy.

I have monitored this 41 Century dual carb car for 2 years --->

I have compared this car - a Century with 1st year styling - to an offering at an old car dealer in Maine (Goldenrod Garage) who has a 41 Special same body style for $4,000 more and though - it's closer, it's a dual carb in similar condition (nice appearance. worn interior etc) This is a 60 series car, which means a dual carbed 320! Check it out of course - I have no issue with what others are saying about Country Classics - but this should be an easy tell - and if you have the 320 dual carb there - then $7,000-$8,000 is a good price for an "old car" isn't it?

Some would say "Look for hidden rust" but they misss the point all together. There is rust on this car, look underneath it (hello) but this car is offered for a reasonable price. Get in and enjoy price.

NO 1941 Century 4 doors are being restored. So do you want to restore this car that is nice running and looks like that for $50,000 or just enjoy the heck out of if it for several years while chipping away at the interior and other noticebale issues?

Here is a car like Thrillers, that you could get in and enjoy the old car hobby for less then $9000.00 easy.. This is a $6500 car when piggybacked OR a legitimate $7000 car. Then pick away at it's needs while enjoying it.

Can you tell I am sick of the $75,000 dealer cars???

Here is the 56 Roadmaster 4 door hardtop you posted --->

They describe it as a show car but it may not be correct - correct enough to garner a 375 or so on a BCA 400 point scale. However, it is clearly accurate and of high quality - a car that I would not be scared to show at a BCA National. I can not find anything incorrect to my naked unprofessional eye.

The body, the interior and engine bay look stunning. Nice 50's colors, A/C - so the question is 1. can you restore a 56 Roadmaster - as a nice driver - for - say $17,000 (assumes the $19,500 is negotiable) ? NO WAY! Chrome alone would run you $6,000 on this car, maybe more! Look at that interior. Another $7,000.

Bpdy? Motor? - So you see a tremendous bargain just because it's a four door. BUT, this four door at other opportunistic dealers would be $45,000. Seriously! And they would pay the same to purchase as CC. That alone tells me these are good people to deal with, even if they can't keep track of all their cars or "fib" about condition.

Here is a stud Roadmaster 50's sedan that you could pruchase and enjoy for 10-15 years at least and if you never purchased another old car, you would die happy! It embodies the best of our hobby, without the high price tag, But og your neighbor will have the trendy Mopar muscle car for $100,000 and laugh at you. That's what middle fingers are for! As he stresses out over the lint left over from his rubbing clothe, you will fire up that proud Nailhead and go down to the diner!

A BARGAIN at $17,000 (or less)

Here is a gorgeous 63 Riviera --->

Offered at $12,550 is there no doubt you could get this 82,000 mile Riviera in nice 1st gen colors of Silver/Black for $10,000?

Again, you can't restore this kind of Buick machismo for less then $30,000. Why bother? Buy this car, enjoy it on tours for 6-8 years, once paid (in mind and wallet) - then start a reasonable restoration int the off-season. But for $10,000 this is a LOT of car. Offered elsewhere for $20,000 or more:mad:

Here is a new arrival (can you tell I check in often?) that is WOW! So much Buick style. OK, the road wheels had to be added but are authentic.

Here is the kicker in addition to the reasonable price - the motor I think is a 300 CID V8! At tops a 340? Not underpowered by any means, yet delivering 17mpg-20mpg in this day and age and it does not give up one piece of ground in the beautiful styling [look at a mid sixties Chrysler and some Fords and you will know what I mean!]

It does not hurt that the colors are red. Offered price? $7450. C'mon on ! Hey, if youhave to have a 65 Chevy SS like your buddy Melvin, OK - spend $50,000! Whatever! You could cash this car out for $6200 easy and this is why CC is relevant. Yes, they have to have some profit in the mix to keep going but unlike some greedy dealers, they aren't marking up 300% or whatever.

Next is a beautiful driver 66 LeSabre convertible. $9750.00 new paint new top etc. This would be an excellent piggyback car. Buty 2 - get a hardtop like the 76 Riviera for $6500.00 and this convertible for $8,000 and go away with 2 cool collectible Buicks in nice driver shape for $14,500.00. Or buy one overpriced muscle car and line the dealers pockets for $100,000. Your choice.

You would be #1 in his book until you wanted to sell your muscle car for what you purchased it for . What? I thought you said it would appreciate! ?

Her eis a nice 67 you could add road wheels to -

Here is an interesting 68 Lesabre convertible:

Not worth the price but a nice original car. Except for the air cleaner.

How about this 69 Riviera. Guys and gals - Note - Rivieras were the flagship cars in those days. This is not a $9,000 car - this is one of the rare overpriced Buicks they have BUT they are basing price on it's 66,000 originals miles. This car should be purchaseable outright for $6,000 max. make them understand this - they have had this somewhat balnd 69 for a while now - but for you - think what else are you going to get for your offer?

66-70 Rivieras were beautiful styled cars, with plenty of highway power, smooth. great cruisers. Or, what the heck, spend $100,000 on a Mopar production car with a 440 - like all you freakin' neighbors.

Add road wheels to this and your wife will want to neck in the back, except tell her no rivets on her jeans -

Here is an awesome 79 Riviera offered for $5300.00. Great conservative styling, leather interior and has been here awhile. I'll bet if you dropped $4000 they would take it BUT again, they have 79 Trans Ams on CC for far more.

This is a great way to get into the hobby. This is one of my piggyback considerations. - How about $10,000 and I take the 76 green Riviera and the 79 grey Riviera? (offered for $12,900.00) I'll bet you'd get DEAL! as an answer. Now look, you would have - for $10,000 - 10% of that Mopar HEMI muscle car - two cars that most people would and could love to consider a "collection" - one a "crazy" linm green ode to mid seventies decadence and one a refined, detailed sic modern classic that gets - oh by the way - 24 mpg!

For $10,000 - we need several more CC outfits trust me!

Here is a coverted 83 20XX Riviera that those ROA guys drool over for offered $5950 that CC has had for awhile - look at thoise photos -

Again, knock off at least $1,000 from what they are offering. This is a significant and desirable Bucik offered by this company. Most old car dealers would buy this car from some desperatwe relative for $2,000 cash and turn around and chekc the NADA or whatever, see it is listed for $15,000 in #1 condition (never mind they never check to see it's actually a # 3 driver) and add $15,000 and list for $30,000.

1984 T Type

I mean - do the seats lie? This is a rare car that has probably been thrashed in it's early years BUT you have evey owner googling out there and seeing $$$ from what a nicely preserved 87 GNX goes for and you probably can't touch an early T Type for this money. Offer CC #3 + cash and I'll bet you would go home with this car.

Here is an opportunity for someone that bleeds Buick to pick up 2, or 3 cars - have an instant collection of what Buick is all about. Don't pander to the popular culture.

I think these cars are all driver quality and not projects and thank CC for filling the void.

Who really wants to spend $50,000 to $125,000 on a "special" car that -when we are dead - won'y help us get into heaven. I mean - does Jesus say " give me your certified Stage 2 COPO GS and I will think about it" NO! He just burns the house down and takes it's spirit.

Each one of these Buicks represent what we love most about Buicks - style, colors, performance, convertible stress relief, luxury. and on and on.

Trust me, although I am trying to wean myself - and with 4 restorable Buicks in the house - I spend about one day (24 hours) per week searching and searching for old car deals and interesting offers - BUT CC offers a unique opportunity to buy old Buicks for a fraction of the cost of others.

and I admire their broad offerings. They take everything into consideration when others would never have offered to buy those 60's Buicks for instance.

Sid, sorry, man - but you hit the nail on this one.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

I went to CCC about 7 years ago to purchase a 1963 Ford Fairlane. The car ran good and was clean body. It was a four door 6 cyl. 3 on the tree. I wanted to buy it for my son to restore. The brakes were gone as the brake line was rotted out. I yard drove it and offered 1500.00. They wanted 1700.00 and turned down my offer. We went on down the road and bought another car. Last summer he and I were out that way and stopped in, the Fairlane was still there. Now many years later the car sat in a big mud hole and was totally rotted away. Funny thing is car was still on the web site with the same pictures and price from years ago. Just saying this as double check with them before making a 500 mile ride as him and I did.

OK Bryan: I too have noticed the Country Classics ads. It certainly looks like he has plenty of money because as far as I can see everything there is way way way overpriced and he doesn't need the money.

You talk of greed from the 5 and 6 figure boys, same deal here, just lower amounts.

Try Jaxed.com It does a search of all Craig's list postings. At least you might run across a legit seller who is willing to sell their car at market price. CC doesn't need the money because if they did their asking prices would be dramatically lower and they would sell a lot of cars. Obvious they don't because the same old iron keeps popping up all the time.

Also remember this, if you were to post instructions on how to get a million dollars probably nobody would read it if there were NO PICTURES!

Mitch

A pal and I drove down from Minneapolis years ago look at an "almost show ready" '65 Pont GP. This was back when he was selling out of his farm-the car was a POS rusting mousemoble. I spent about 5 minutes there and was not too happy with the misrepresentation. On the way back we stopped at Duffy's in Iowa- we giggled like a couple of school girls at the #1 prices for #3 cars-what a trip!?!

OK Bryan: I too have noticed the Country Classics ads. It certainly looks like he has plenty of money because as far as I can see everything there is way way way overpriced and he doesn't need the money.

You talk of greed from the 5 and 6 figure boys, same deal here, just lower amounts.

Mitch

Mitch,

These are all priced below $20,000 easy. Take the 76 Riviera offered for $7500. If you negotiate $1000 off that car and buy it for $6500, then his profit is maybe $3000 tops. That's a 50% markup but does not represent a lot of money.

The dealers who try to make a killing mark their cars up 200-300% - really.

They might buy a 70 Chevelle SS clone for $15,000 then turn around and ask $60,000 for it hoping to get $50,000.

Those guys with previously fat 401k payouts just south of retirement don't care what they pay, they just wanted to enjoy the old car they could not afford all those years. That's greed.

CC is just an old car dealer. Another positive I give to them is that they don't fill their lot with trendy cars. Sure, they have a few Mustangs, a couple of Camaros but they have a lot of usually unseen on dealer lot cars, - like the series of Lesabre convertibles, the Riviera and so on.

Now many years later the car sat in a big mud hole and was totally rotted away. Funny thing is car was still on the web site with the same pictures and price from years ago. Just saying this as double check with them before making a 500 mile ride as him and I did.

Can't explain that one but I know the lower it is the less room for negotiation. That's how the high dollar dealers work. They add a number by rolling the dice and when they lop $15,000 off the salt and pepper haired guy thinks he is getting a good deal.

Try Jaxed.com It does a search of all Craig's list postings. At least you might run across a legit seller who is willing to sell their car at market price. CC doesn't need the money because if they did their asking prices would be dramatically lower and they would sell a lot of cars. Obvious they don't because the same old iron keeps popping up all the time.

Mitch

Mitch,

I spend a lot of time on the Jaxed site mash. Craigs List sellers are sometimes just as unrealistic. Plus, I like the idea that you can browse a website like CC a couple times a week whereas you go into the site mash and cars drop off, or ebay - same deal - you HAVE TO respond within a certain time frame.

On the CC website I do see some cars come and go. They had 1930 Marquette for awhile, it's gone - same with a 57 Cadillac - and some new ones pop on.

CC can't go "dramatically lower". they don't have the profit margins. Show me some examples of what you have found on CL or ebay apples for apples (best we can tell from photos and description) that are a better value then his 41 Century four door dual carb car for $7500.

Also - I want to point out that I can tell from their photos cars that have "been rode hard and put away wet" and I don't know why they even bother posting the photos. I see photos where they pop the trunk and show old car parts in there, or worn interiors with "Grant" aftermarket steering wheels.

I'm not saying their entire inventory is pristine or that they don't fib. If it starts and yeard drives they call it "runs and drives good" Hhhmm. And even that 76 Green Riviera. If it has been sitting in that inside storage for 2 years the carb needs rebuilt, period.

But checking the site mash apples for apples (since I am interested in purchasing a 75-77 Riviera I have inquired on 3 cars in the last 2 months. That's all I have seen.

One guy up in Michigan had an interesting one on Craigs List for a decent price with a moonroof - and 20 inch tires! I emailed him and asked him a couple of questions and got no response.

The next guy had a nice black and firethorn red interior 77 Riviera up in Minnesota. I asked him for more photos since - as you know - Craigs List usually only has 2-4 marginal photos - and he said NO - I have local parties interested that are just waiting for the snow to clear.

So Jaxed has it's drawbacks too.

A pal and I drove down from Minneapolis years ago look at an "almost show ready" '65 Pont GP. This was back when he was selling out of his farm-the car was a POS rusting mousemoble. I spent about 5 minutes there and was not too happy with the misrepresentation. On the way back we stopped at Duffy's in Iowa- we giggled like a couple of school girls at the #1 prices for #3 cars-what a trip!?!

Did you ask CC how could they provide that description based on what you were seeing? I'm just curious if they got defensive or said something like "if you don't like it go somewhere else"

Duffys is the typical old car dealer with high mark ups but a decent reputation and they stay in business. I think they thrived when the salt and peppers were cashing out their 401k's. Thise dealers feasted on guys whose wives never let them restore in the attached 2 car garage and they didn't have the money or time any way to do a restoration.

They retire. OK now they want a muscle car to take the local town festival cars shows, plop out the folding chairs and let the wives go shopping in the square. To them, their 401k portfolios were fluffed up by interest earnings anyway so they were playing with house money - Ok Duffy's here you go $45,000 for a 66 GTO. Duffy's probably paid $12,000 for that car.

I live in the region of Country Classic Cars and have been through a number of times. I always think they are overpriced on everything but assume that is just to allow for negotiation ( I have never actually negotiated for a car there).

I enjoy a visit there because of the huge number of cars and the convenient location off the interstate if you are driving past, and I have no grudge against them at all. But I will caution any reader that I would never buy a car there without inspecting it in person first, because their stuff is never top condition IMO. But that is just buyer beware, like anywhere else, and I would hope the proprietor would suggest the same.

I live in the region of Country Classic Cars and have been through a number of times. I always think they are overpriced on everything

OK. I need some examples. Everybody thinks they are overpriced, their website and prices are right there for everyone. Show me some examples.

I don't necessarily believe in price guides as I have never sold a car by price guide guidelines. Some of their prices are too high for sure but the comparison is too other dealers.

What would you pay for this red 65 Lesabre if not $7450.00?

This car needs nothing visually with a nice original interior and nice paint and wheels. The engine compartment even shows attention to detail and pride of ownership. Not some hokey aftermarket air cleaner and chromed up for nothing engine compartment. Nice trunk. So lop off $1000 on that - $6500.00.

Now go try to find a similar 65 LeSabre or better yet a Chevy Impala which is same body with a 327 powerglide - I guarantee you those sell every day for $15,000 in that condition.

Here is the 20th anniversary Riviera again offered for $5300. In checking posts on the Riviera section of AACA, this would be a reasonable price as is. I believe if you were serious you could this for less then $5k, maybe $4500 or less??

Show me some examples - don't just say CC is overpriced.

If a person wants to come back and say - well I wouldn't own that car they don't interest me then I kind of understand why these cars might be sitting longer then normal.

There isn't much demand for several of CC cars necessarily. I like them, but then I only have one muscle car and it's not even a main stream muscle car - 1966 GS.

For my money though, that 76 Riviera would proivde a ton of fun ownership. I doubt there are ANY 74-77 Rivieras at this summers BCA National.

The argument that these are styling dogs does not resonate with me. I remember when these cars were new in the mid seventies and I saw those space age taillights up high.

7042_7.JPG

I love those dashes too very classy. Those were well styled cars front to back and if this is too new CC has cars from the 20's to the 80's.

BJM, you and I agree on wanting a better value than an overhyped musclecar at an overhyped dealer. And I can tell you from seeing CCCs inventory that if you like Buicks, big cars and cars of the 1970s (as I know you do) then there can be values to be had. They truly do offer a good avenue for someone who would like an affordable old car, especially from the 1970s.

I am just saying that this dealer really does have many cars that in person look "rode hard and put away wet" and that the photos tend to make a marginal car look better than it really is. No deception is intended I am sure, it is just how it is with photos--you can't get too excited without seeing the car first. But that is the case anywhere.

By the way BJM, I have to say you have a good eye, these two Buicks look very sharp for the money. That red 1965 Buick with road wheels is one of the best styled big cars ever (next to a comparable Pontiac of the era, of course). And the Riv may not be a "Classic" but it would be a breath of fresh air at your local show and that tiara roof is cool. That is the kind of big 1970s sled my wife is afraid I will bring home. But not until after the recession, of course, good luck!

PS--if I get down that way I would look at them for you, especially if you are not in a big rush.

OK Bryan: There are a few things I keep in mind when it comes to Craig's List.

1. If the item for sale is on the money it usually drops off the radar screen quickly leaving the overpriced items showing.

2. As I track the items I am interested in, I track them on a daily basis and the deals are there. I have my own style of trolling CL as well as the other Internet advertising sites. Knowing how to read an add is all part of the formula. Being Johnnie on the spot also helps too.

3. Sometimes I just need to be patient and wait for the item I want to come along. Usually it's sooner than later.

4. Although Craig's List is not the definitive web site for car listings it is probably by far, the most popular. It has crippled the other media sources like newspapers, freebie rags, and other hobby rags like Hemmings Motor news. And there are other sources still there, perhaps on life support.

Back to CC. I looked at several of their listings advertising the cars I would buy and I GUARANTEE I wouldn't give even one of those cars a second look, mainly because of their horribly high prices.

If you like to kick tires and are in that neighborhood I guess it's just as much fun as walking an old school wrecking yard. That's as far as it goes for me. Mitch

I really don't think CC is hugely overpriced and I'm a tad surprised that a Calif guy would think so. I don't care to see misrepresentation no matter where tho. But, Ca is where I have usually found the highest prices-followed by east coast and then the midwest. Saying that, it's hard to deal with rust and the dry western cars are generally worth more. I also like the boneyards, but many have gone away in recent years-

I went to CCC in 2003 to look at a 71 Centurion convertible. It was red with a sandalwood interior and sandalwood top. Advertised as "new engine." $6500

I got there and paid my $1 entry fee. I had to squeeze through several cars before I found the one I was looking for. They were parked within a foot of each other in every direction. When I did finally find the red Centurion, I was glad I hadn't driven 500 miles for it. The paint was worse than a quickie Earl Sheib job. I could see the dents they filled with Bondo and quickly ran over with a DA...they were everywhere. Seemed as if it had been beaten with a hammer. The top was marginal. The dash pad and front seat was cracked and ripped all the way across. And the new engine? The same old dusty greasy 455 that came in it originally. (Now that I look at it, I would be glad to see the original engine). But the guy even told me on the phone that it had a new engine!! WTF!

We looked around at the "ring" of junkyard cars they've got along the fence, and laughed...and left.

It was fun to pay $1 to look at some old cars, but I will probably never go there again.

Yes Mitch and I will have to agree to disagree. That's OK. I have purchased probably 3-4 cars in the past 11 years that were "drivers". One car was an off-ebay purchase for $4500 - a 1964 Electra convertible for $4500 with 70,000 original miles. Had rust but was straight and ran fine, braked fine etc. Nice leather interior with power windows and original paint that would suck my wax up like a thirsty sailer stranded on a deserted island offered a gallon of water.

We drove it to 4th of July fireworks and with top down had a great time. $4500. Would have delivered another 4-5 years of stress-rolls-out-the back old car pleasure at minimal cost.

Because it was a tweener, I sold it. I did not want to restore it but wanted a better Buick to go to shows. I was wrong. Should have kept it and saved my money for a project to sit beside it.

Mitch, these cars at CC are no different. I have not seen a 1941 60S dual carb for that kind of money. That's a 320 under there not a 248 (nno offense at all to special owners) and that 65 Lesabre is nice. Look at the trunk and engine compartment. For $7500.

Mitch, if I understand you correctly, since you offered no examples - you basically are looking for all or nothing - cars that are restored for a fair price. Doesn't exist.

If you want show cars fine, that's different, but these are NOT overpriced for the entry level aspect they offer. AND - there are few of these dealers that are between project and show. They just don't exist.

I've seen truly nasty project cars for 60-75% of what CC offers for a running and driving car. If it runs and drives you can assess it. If it's a non runner, you start from scratch.

I don't care to see misrepresentation no matter where tho. But, Ca is where I have usually found the highest prices-followed by east coast and then the midwest. Saying that, it's hard to deal with rust and the dry western cars are generally worth more.

Let's face it, there is bound to be misrepresentation in what CC offers. But I can determine 99% of that from looking at the photos.

Here is an example of a 56 Cadillac --->

Now, why would you not clean up the trunk before posting and look at the rear bumper hanging down? But that's an orignal interior.

Here is the stupidest thing I have seen. Who would pay $8500 for this mess--

Non original front seats, non chromed rear bumper. If the previous owner could not afford proper chrome replating ,what else did he skip?

On this 63 Riviera, note the poor condition of the rear bumper and those stupid extended chrome exhaust tips.

Plus non original air cleaner and poor overall condition of engine compartment. No mention of mileage in the description so even they don't trust mileage. NO - I seriously doubt this car runs and drives good. BUT my point is I can tell all that simply from the photos.

Now look at the nicer 63 Riviera --

Beautiful appearing body, nice original interior, stated miles at 82,000 gives you a benchmark.

You guys know a good running REAL 82,000 miles from a higher mileage fraud. Correct air cleaner and engine paint silver, BUT notice the stupid NAPA spec top coolant hose (BAD) $12,500 is too high but what's "high" for a basically sound (from photos - requires a personal inspection) 82,000 mile 63 Riviera? Try to find one for $8,000 - those guys aren't selling. Go to another dealer - $17,000 (ridiculous but true)

That looks like a repaint obviously, but with nice chrome and a nice black leather interior - I offer it as a comparison to the last 63 Riviera.

Again look at the pristine 65 LeSabre -

Note how nice the body, interior, engine bay and trunk are.

Or... buy this stupid 66 Chevelle (hey it's a Chevelle) for nearly double the price. Notice the non original seats, poor detailing in the engine bay and rotted out trunk.

The 65 LeSabre is 10 times the value of this stupid "Chevelle" but hey if you got to have a Chevy 'cuz Vern on the corner duz, go for it!

If you look for clues in the photos a person could save a lot of time and money at a place like CC. I pass over more then I like but more then anything it's the CONCEPT that CC is buying cars that aren't trendy and offering them at reasonable prices (Mitch - check the price guides, check evilbay and CL)

Where else are you going to find a 41 60S dual carb for that price? Or a 65 Lesabre in triple red for $7500 (or less) or a psychodelic green halo 76 Riv for $6500 or so?

I tried to show BUICK only items in my above post but the fact is they ahve a lot of cars that I would look at. Many are non mainstream and most of all I appreciate CC for offering them at any price.

Bryan---I live 30 minutes from CCC. If you would like a set of eyes on something, let me know. I am one that trys to buy my cars at or below Old Cars Price Guide values---I would say that 9 out of 10 cars that I am interested in are priced way over that guide price.

Thanks Cardinal.

We are stuck in winter. I'll take a closer look this spring and may contact you. It would be fun to go over there maybe once every two months to walk around.

We stopped in while traveling Route 66. Only found a couple cars that where decent. Most have new paint right over the bondo and sand marks. Waste of time going there. About same quality as Golden-Rod garge up here in Freeport, ME WASTE OF TIME

We stopped in while traveling Route 66. Only found a couple cars that where decent. Most have new paint right over the bondo and sand marks. Waste of time going there. About same quality as Golden-Rod garge up here in Freeport, ME WASTE OF TIME

Wow. I like Goldenrod's website and they have some nice looking cars. They describe their lesser cars honestly. The nicer cars they have very high prices, typical dealer prices.

I guess there are no good old car dealers out there.

I agree with the mostly junk, and overpriced too. I thought they had a absolute auction last summer---I was out of town or may have gone, I assumed they were going out of business. Besides, if Adam is correct and they charge a dollar I would boycott just for that reason---I aint paying to look at cars for sale (even stripper money)

I agree with the mostly junk, and overpriced too. I thought they had a absolute auction last summer---I was out of town or may have gone, I assumed they were going out of business.

The auctioneer was Vanderbrink and I am on her email notification list. I heard about it too late to attend but it was meant to clear out the non running "project" cars as supposedly his wife would not let "him" buy any more cars until a few left.

There was 1-2 that I wanted in project shape. About two months later, the website was cleaned up. But it was not meant to be a closing sale, just to sell their obviously overpriced non runners.

I attended an old car dealer closing auction that Yvette Vanderbrink DID put on in August 2009 and my posting friend LINC400 was there so he can attest.

Similar cars, junk project cars or suspect runners, probably way overpriced before the auction - causing the dealer to go our of business - but the owner-dealer kept walking around saying "you are killing me - giving my cars away!"

No - I am not paying $1 to go see cars for sale. There is no need to as supply exceeds demand, especially with Craigs List.

I think Mitch and Adam and others must be right. Somehow they just post lies on the website and when people come, they get the $1 but seldom sell cars.

That's too bad they run that way. Like I said, they have an interesting cross-section of what is usually not mainstream cars, but that are still collectible.

One interesting aspect of this thread is that NOBODY has chimed in and said they purchased a car from CC and that they were satisfied with the car, the price and the transaction. We are all just observers.

OK Bryan: Come to think about it here in Hayward, CA Pick-Your-Nose charges a $2. gate fee. For less than that I can upgrade my combo at Carl's Jr. and get the large fries AND the large drink! I was wondering why CC only gets a buck because they sure aren't bashful when asking a horrible price for a hoopdy.

One LAST thought. I am curious about two things.

1. How many cars do they sell average per month (a documented number and not a big mouth ego figure)?

2. Are there complaints from customers with the Department of Motor Vehicles?

That's it. CC can go back to sleep now Mitch

• 8 months later...

I bought a 58 Ford Custom 2 door sedan there 6 or 7 years ago. I didn't go to look at it and took the salesman's word for the condition, which was a mistake. The engine had a knock and the body was loaded with bondo. After it was delivered I found out it was from Minnesota when he told me it was from Texas. I took it to a guy in Cincinnati to have the engine replaced with a similar one out of an Edsel which was another mistake. I finally sold it a couple of years later for about $5K less than I had in it. I like looking at the cars on their website too but I'll never buy another one there....

It's interesting since this post was hot I have not bothered to check in to Country Classics to see what they have. I did about 2 weeks ago on a boring rainy day and at least for Buicks, some were gone.

Mitch asked about how many they actually sell. And I might add at what price. I don't really know how the price guides get prices. Or why sellers ask what they ask.

If you were a price guide and you went to CC and asked what was sold and for how much, is that information reliable? H-e-#-# no.

On a different subject....how about the color combo on THAT Riviera???

I hadn't seen a Buick in that combo for many years, but when I was a kid I worked at a Virginia Buick dealership---I remember Regals, LeSabres, and even ELECTRAs in that color combination!

We didnt' sell a lot of them, but there were a few. Whether you liked 'em or not, you couldn't miss noticing them out on the front lot!

• 4 weeks later...