Sign in to follow this  
Ranger

93 A/C Problem

Hi All,

About two months ago I bought a nice '93 Riv. with just the basics and no options. When I bought it, the grandson of the original owner said she spent $1800 on the A/C @ the Buick dealer. The compressor, lines, etc. all look new.

Shortly after I bought the car, the "Service A C" light came on. I disconnected the battery, waited about 5 minutes and reconnected the batt. The A/C was pushing cold air again and the "Service A C" light was not lit. With-in a week, the light was back on.

I just got back from the garage (it was warm enough today to check the system). Their gauges show a full charge, no relevent codes from the dash check and nothing on their computer check. The tech told me he needs to clear the "Service A C" light without clearing everything else out of history or current, is there any way to do this? The compressor is not engaging, he said it won't engage unless the "Service A C" light is off.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by Ranger
left out information (see edit history)

Jim,

You have a '90 Reatta. You clear codes the exact same way. Press warm and off and toggle thru the prompts.

You could have anything from a dirty connector to a bad BCM. Look at the easy stuff first.

Under the hood on the line that runs across the firewall is a (1) high side temp sensor (2) low side pressure switch. Near the low side switch, on the low pressure line is a (3) low temp sensor The connector or the sensor itself could be causing the light to come on.

There is a Reatta/Riviera (1990) service manual at Reatta Data Page that you can view... it will be almost identical to your later Riviera.

Jim,

I've never seen a Service A/C light on that wasn't illuminated because a relevant code had been stored! The code could be in the BCM or the ECM so make sure you or the service tech check for both. When you say "garage", is that the local Buick dealer or someplace else? The reason that I ask is that by the early 90's GM was very good about monitoring the auto A/C systems and if there were issues, a code would be stored. The code diagnosis is pretty good and usually gets to the problem.

Tim

Thanks to you all. I'll try your suggestions on Monday. Tim, it was a non-Buick garage that worked on the codes, I told them I'd come to this forum, the members would tell me how to pull the codes and clear the "Service A C" and that I'd get back to them.

Thanks again and I'll let you all know when it warms back up to 70 degrees.

Jim