63 fury 727 torqueflite bellhouse bolt pattern

Guest 63fury

Maybe someone can help. I'm curious to find out what engines 62 thru 65 will bolt up to the 727 torqueflite 63-65 bellhousing I can't really find any info as far as what size motors will actually fit in my 63 fury either. Oil pan clearance, header clearance to the fender wells hood clearance etc. What kind of issues will I be running into if I try to slide a 361 or 383 in. Currently has a 318 poly in it. Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

If it has a 318 then any 318, 340 or 360 will bolt up.

There are 3 different bellhousings slant six, small V8 and big V8.

The 360 requires an externally balanced torque converter. There may be other differences to starters flex plates etc but I'm sure a later engine will fit with a little work.

To use a 361 or 383 you will need a different transmission, they are big block engines as are the 413 426 and 440.

The poly head 318 has a lot of potential. The head design is better than the later wedge head.

But if you just want to bolt in the later engine, the Mopar 360 crate engine is an excellent engine and a real bargain. I think you can get 300 or 350HP models. This should be all the power you need and will not overload your suspension, brakes, etc in fact the later engine is lighter than the poly by about 50 lbs.

Thanks Rusty,

Just what I needed to get started. I'm gonna have to pull the engine and tranny out of the top. Where would be the best spot to grab ahold of my 318 to pull it. Intake or exhaust manifold/

Tranny bellhousing? I'm using a 2ton picker with a load leveler . should I invest in a lift plate for this or just go for it?

Again I appreciate the help,

Dan

Thanks Rusty,

Just what I needed to get started. I'm gonna have to pull the engine and tranny out of the top. Where would be the best spot to grab ahold of my 318 to pull it. Intake or exhaust manifold/

Tranny bellhousing? I'm using a 2ton picker with a load leveler . should I invest in a lift plate for this or just go for it?

Again I appreciate the help,

Dan

Go to the oarts store and get (or make it yourself) a steel plate and a big eyebolt. Drill holes through the plate to match up with the carburetor bolt pattern on the intake manifold. Install the eyebolt in the center and there you go.

post-37352-143138158324_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138158328_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I would rebuild the original engine if possible. They are very durable, it is quite possible you may be able to replace rings, bearings, timing chain etc without boring the cylinders.

In any case parts are available. I don't know if PAW still sells a kit for these but they did a few years ago.

Many parts are the same as the LA 318 which was made until the early 90s.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. If anyones interested I've got the tranny rebuilt. All new internals and pump. The engine just made it. I went with a 360 bored .030 over, flat top pistons for a little more compression, an elgin cam with .302 lift for a little more torque, port and polished heads, and I finally found some headers that will fit my fury from TTI exhaust. I've almost got the front end finished. Those lower control arm bushings for the torsion bars are a son of a gun to get out. A really big friggin hammer and alot of determination got em out though.

Here's my next questions for the guys that have been around the block. What external parts will swap from the 318 poly to the 360 LA i.e. valve covers, oil pan, pulleys, brackets etc.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Polysphere heads have weird valve covers with sort of a zig-zag pattern on the lower edge, so those won't fit the LA motors. The other stuff I am not sure about but I'd be shocked if it did fit the LA.

I think Offy was going to repro their old LA finned valve covers... They look real old style instead of modern custom covers. I was able to find an orig set for one of my cars.