Sign in to follow this  
Ctskip

New guy here with 1940 suicide door field find

Hello all, my name is Skip and I live just east of Dallas, Texas. I've been into cars since I learned the cigarette lighter worked with the key off in a 1954 Merc. Don't ask.

So I was talking with my father-in-law mentioning that we needed a project. Something, so that when I come to visit (4 hrs away), I'd have something to do. He found this treasure. It'll be my 3rd Ford product, my 1st was a 59 T-Bird in 65 and then a 48 in 67. Now I am part owner in a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr in 2010. I must have my head examined. I got all excited when I saw the V-12. The body shape of the 40 caught my eye. Having never seen a V-12, never mind owning one, was a dream. Now I can see why they had overheating problems. In the last week I have expanded my knowledge of these fine automobiles immensely. I have noticed differences in every year, some slight, some very noticeable. Even the radios were different

This find was left outside and abandoned for some 50 yrs. She's straight and she's 99% there and in good shape. However the motor is missing the heads and intake along with I'm sure more motor parts are long gone. We have the block down. I'd really like to get the V-12 up and running but cost would be a major factor. Needing an interior,wiring, all glass and rubber and a paint job. Sinking thousands into a V-12 for power is (in my mind) questionable. While digging out this vehicle of the Texas sand, I also picked up a hemi/ transmission. And started thinking? (I know a costly move for me) about using the Hemi. I don't want to, I'd love to use the V-12 but it looks like parts I need are difficult to obtain. I could sell the Hemi and buy the parts for the V-12 if they were available. Maybe I should start with a later V-12 block/iron heads and go from there. I'd like some opinions. It was suggested that we put a 350 crate motor in her. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

I'll be lurking here for some time. Thanks all for your time.

Skip

post-65857-14313815762_thumb.jpg

post-65857-143138157623_thumb.jpg

post-65857-143138157625_thumb.jpg

post-65857-143138157627_thumb.jpg

Hi Skip, I have been working on a '40 for several years. Parts are available, especially mechanical parts. Be sure to check out the "sources" on the LZOC site. The four door sedans are not highly sought after but I sure have enjoyed mine. If you have questions, this site is really great and I would suggest joining the LZOC.

Norm

Skip - the iron heads are on eBay all the time as is the intake manifold. Once I have my 48 Continental Coupe finished I will have an extra set of heads. I have an extra intake manifold right now -- for the 48 model they use a four bolt carburetor rather than the three bolt that was used until 42 or 46 one of you guys that have owned them for a long time chime in. Skip, I am stationed with the Army in Germany and this forum has been a great help to me. What I cannot find on eBay someone on the forum has or one of the dealers. I just received a box of rubber parts and electrical wiring for my car. It came from New Mexico in 2001 and sat in a German barn until I traded into it (part of the trade was a 55 Dodge with a 270 hemi) last year. Join the LZOC and get some of the manuals. I am really enjoying putting this old girl back together. Oh, the old time overheating problems can be beat with new water pumps and a good inside of the engine cooling system cleaning. Contact me off list for the manifold - my postage is US not international. Harry

Welcome to the show my friend!! Type up a list of needs for the motor, I think most of us would love to help.... I for one would!! This site is great for people willing to keep those cars outta the hands of a chop-shop!

Daddio

As others have said, finding parts for the V-12 is really not a problem, especially since your car used the iron heads. Afterall, they made over a 100,000 of 'em! Having just finished restoring a car, I can tell you that if you take the time to clean out the block and radiator and follow some of the easy modifications that folks here can tell you about, your engine will be just fine. Do you really want to fix up a car and then plop a dime-a-dozen 350 in it? ;)

I agree with you CBoz...get the V-12 running, any one can have a V-8, wow them with a smooth running V-12. You'll be glad you did!!:D

I just got back form the inlaws and the Z is off the trailer and rolling.

Getting her on the trailer out of the woods is a story in and of itself. First we couldn't turn the front wheels straight so getting her on the trailer was a job in itself, Not only did we have to jack her up out of the sand, I had to remove the tires that were buried in the sand for 40 something years and flat then fill in the holes they left. I placed cinder-blocks on plywood under her frame for the her to set on while we looked for a set of rollers. We called it a day. I looked a bit closer at the tires once home and figured I had nothing to loose, so I put 25 lbs of air in them. I checked them two hrs later and they were still holding. The next morning they still held air. Pretty rough tires, but holding air thats all I cared about. FIL said the real test was when we dropped the car down on them. All it had to do was make it onto the 2 X 12's and she would roll onto the trailer. Hopefully the weight of the car wouldn't blow them out, it didn't. Now how to deal with the locked front end that was turned about 30 degrees to the right. What seemed like hours getting her on the trailer, we made it home just ahead of dark 30. We left for home the next morning, with the tires till holding air. Those are some sorry looking tires, but I didn't care, she was at the inlaws and on the trailer. Hurray.

This wknd I went back and my FIL took her off the trailer with his tractor, lifting her ft end up and backing up till she rolled off . Great guy my FIL is. So I get there and we start opening the doors with some magic stuff that removes rust and penetrates. It works wonders I'll get the name for y'all. We took out prickly pear (mice use it to protect the nest from varmints). 150 lbs of crap and a radio bezel later, we got the seats out and interior/trunk clean of all foriegn matter. Sifting through carefully looking for that Spanish doubloon. Not even a penny did we find. Head studs and nuts, but nothing of any importance except the radio bezel Cool I thought. I'll take it

So the seats are out and the floor is drying out A bit of rust on the floor but that can be solved . One seat mount is shot, at least I have the other side to copy

I looked under the column at the ignition. Listening to what others told me I understood the column locked with a key. Someone had already removed the 3/16 ths pin from underneath the tumblers and they drilled out the ignition. I tried the penetrating fluid to no avail. Bigger bit was what I needed. It worked, I drilled and the metal plunger on the passenger side moved in and out, I knew I had freed it. The column freed and now I am able to turn the tires and steering wheel, Excitement over the little things is what makes it all worthwhile. So we moved the Z next to the building she be in, in two weeks. I gave my FIL the job of removing the window cranks and door handles and pull whats left of the interior paneling so we can have copies made, come time to do the interior.

My FIL wants to power wash the insides and let her dry in the Texas sun then move her inside the building to work on her. I'm chomping at the bit. My wife says the sailboat comes first and I explained to her not to dictate to me which is more important just now, I know that sailing season will be here soon and she needs the relaxation. I do also, but not now, this new project is on the plate now and I must get the ball rolling. How long it takes is totally irrelevant at this point. I'm under no obligation. Pure fun and enjoyment, thats what it's all about. It just seems that some, just don't understand.

I appreciate all the offers of help, thank you and believe me, I will be calling on y'all from time to time. Like this ignition is baffling me. There doesn't seem to be any wires to the back of the key housing (for lack of a better term) in any way shape or form. There is a switch to the right of the key assembly that looks like it turns (but doesn't). Only because it has splines that are indicative of a turn knob. I have a picture for y'all to chew on, if that'll help any. My camera found the ghost after taking this shot. Sorry. I'll finger out something. I do know this assembly has to come out away from the column and away from the dash board How will remain a mystery.

I'm home now and away from the Z. I do know there's a guy in town who has offered to sell us another disassembled V-12 motor, not quite complete and I am hesitating only because we haven't eliminated all the area from where the Z came from. Once we have thoroughly searched and turned over every leaf , so to speak will I consider buying parts that might be found elsewhere on the old farmstead. Soon will be spring and the rattlers will be coming out . You won't find me anywhere near a abandoned homestead with cars half buried no way, no how. So the hunt for the rest of the motor continues next wknd.

I do know she needs a wing window assembly and interior trim D/S, radio, three hubcaps and three beauty rings. Complete interior and right now set of heads with intake/carb, coil pack maybe a fuel pump along with a gas tank and some shock absorber parts. We'll be sending the motor out to have her boiled and magnafluxed and the crank ground and polished and pistons installed. The list is always being added to.

I want to thank y'all for your support and encouragement Other wise, I would of given up hope. I have joined the Zephyr club and ordered a book from Earl Brown. I have already talked with Heinz Shu . Very helpful and patience beyond all else. Thank you all I will try to be of help where ever and when ever I can be.

I'll keep the V-12 alive and something to be proud of. After all how many folks can say they own a V-12 Zephyr? It may not be the best, but she sure is pretty.

How many 1940 Zephyrs did they make anyway?

Thanks all,

Skip

post-65857-143138160339_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ctskip (see edit history)

Skip,

The steering lock is operated when the key is turned - it also locks the ignition toggle switch in the off position. I have attached a couple of pics which may help.

Norm

post-47674-143138160767_thumb.jpg

post-47674-143138160776_thumb.jpg

Thank you, thank you. So that is what it is suppose to look like. Go figure. I found the small chrome handle while sifting through the crap in the car. Now it is beginning to become a bit clearer now. It almost makes sense now. Now the question is how do I remove this switch and cylinder so I can replace it. Then where do I get replacement parts for it? I can see the bolts through the bottom of the dash, but it looks like it must be slide off the column once the steering wheel is removed. There are so many parts I need. I'm not sure where to start. It needs all the rubber stuff. I've ordered a book from Earl Brown and from what I see I'll be needing several more. Can you recommend a few good books for this 1940 Z? Thanks again for the pictures.

Skip

Y'all must understand the farm I got this Z in has been abandoned for some 40 yrs and some of the vehicles have been there longer than that. Most were Mopar and a couple of VW's and a Chevy Caprice, mostly Chrysler products though. I feel fortunate that I was able to rescue this example of Lincoln history and it's 99% there. While rummaging around for parts that belong to this vehicle I happen to find another speedo cluster. Low and behold I find it says Lincoln on the top and V12 on the bottom. Now I scratch my head and wonder where could this other Lincoln be, if one exists there at all. I thought I eyeballed all the vehicles? My FIL calls tonight and tells me the owner believes there's a coupe further in the brush, not yet found, just east of the tractor. We're talking about 188 acres mind you. Then he tells my FIL that because the 1940 Lincoln wasn't complete, he could have the coupe to make up for it. I could kiss that old goat. After all, they were calling me a kid. I want to leave tonight and be there in the Am. My FIL says he'll look real good for it and he'll call me when he finds it. Do you think I'll sleep tonight? I doubt it. It's true what they say about the hunt being more than half the fun. I'm on pins and needles.

Thanks Rolf for the pictures. The cluster I have with me here is a 1941 model. There's one difference thats obvious to me. In your picture there is a odometer in the center circle. On the one I have here, there is no odometer. and it says V12 on the bottom of the outside circle, opposite Lincoln that has the turn signals on either side.

Skip

Edited by Ctskip
specifics (see edit history)

Skip - the most helpful books I have are 1: Repair Manual for Lincoln V12 Engines, 2: Authenticity Manual and 3: Lincoln Chassis Parts Catalog. I think these are all available from Earle Brown. Also helpful, if you have a Columbia Rear End are the Columbia books. FAXON in Riverside CA is another good source.

I haven't had to remove my lock assembly, but I believe you would have to completely remove the steering column and then remove the steering gears to slip the lock assembly off the bottom.

Norm

Skip, the reason you can't see the odometer(s) in the '41 cluster is that the disk with the needle has aged "yellow" and become opaque. The '41 cluster in the pic he sent has one of his new replacement disk.

Nasmith, thank you for the info. I'll see which one Earl Brown sent to my FIL Saturday morning. I'll be going there then . I will search the place till there's no clump of trees left standing with out my footprints on them, looking for the mysterious coupe. I'll never forgive myself if I don't give it my best shot. I appreciate the sedan, I know I'll enjoy it just as much as any other of my vehicles, maybe more so.

Peecher, You are so correct. I lifted the center disc and there were the numbers. You guys are right on the money. Thanks

Skip

I'm back from the in-laws. A very productive wknd. I got there Sat at noon and between the rain drops we pulled the off the fallen roof of a small out building that was leaning so badly, so that we could search under it. We found lots of goodies. The one major find was the coil for the V12 and one horn. One and a half pieces off the list. The coil is more than likely NG but at least I have one to exchange or rebuild if thats what they do with them. While my FIL was raking through the old car and lawn mower parts that were under the roof, I went for a walkabout. 188 acres is a good walk especially when there is more than abundant prickly pear that grows all over the place. Clumps of trees that have been over grown with brush and prickers so thick , you can't see in but two feet. I circled every clump and walked from neighbor to neighbor and no Zephyr. There were a couple of nice Chrysler's with wire wheels and a two 53/ 54 Pontiac's, two door ht. But no zephyr. At least I'll know I gave it my best and didn't count on anyone else to look for me. I know the way I look . So I'm pretty sure I have all the zephyr parts that this farm can give up. One of the guys who bought all 25 vehicles was telling me about a roof to a car he found when he dug one out to put a chain on the frame . He kept digging and though it was a car that was buried. It turned out to be a roof that was cut off a vehicle. It wouldn't surprise me if it were a car. The farm was a peanut farm. Thats why the sand is all over.

Made room in the building this wknd so we can move the Z inside. Maybe in a few weeks. I did get a bunch of old parts I was thinking of putting on Ebay, a horn ring for a 41 Z and some headlight glass and two headlight rims, etc...

Thanks for putting up with my adventure. I happy to have ths Zephyr that I have.

Skip