Convertable tops

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer
:) Five maby six years ago,I tryed to convince a friend to take his Chevrolet Convertable to a national meet. He felt the car would not do well because the top was color matched to the car, red. Looking through my Nov. Dec. Antique Auto I notice several at the duel meet with color matched tops. I think you learn best with discussion, so how about some of you knowlagable folks joining in with a little discussion. :D Whats the skinny on convertable tops.:confused:

Having the correct convertible top color is somewhat easy as most factory documentation including the dealer albums state which color went with which top, model, series, canvas or vinyl. etc. If something appears odd which especially in the 50's everything was strange color wise, it is best that when the judging team captain approaches your vehicle tell him if there are any questions regarding the top. color, etc that you will show him the factory documentation.

Guest windjamer

Ron you are right,documentation is the all important safty net. But what about the guy that has no paper work. He bought the car and restored it to the best he could,it looks fine,but is it correct??I am by far not an expert judge I have 13 credits so Im just a beginer,but judging fot the past couple of years I have never had an owner come to me or my team capt. and start the conversation with((I have documentation) Have you? In my case if I have a doubt, I bring it to the attention of the team capt. Actualy Im just trying to stir a little intrest in our judging system. We have a cje for tires, is this covered in a seperate class??

Ron you are right,documentation is the all important safty net. But what about the guy that has no paper work. He bought the car and restored it to the best he could,it looks fine,but is it correct??I am by far not an expert judge I have 13 credits so Im just a beginer,but judging fot the past couple of years I have never had an owner come to me or my team capt. and start the conversation with((I have documentation) Have you? In my case if I have a doubt, I bring it to the attention of the team capt. Actualy Im just trying to stir a little intrest in our judging system. We have a cje for tires, is this covered in a seperate class??

wj, This would most likely be covered in an Interior CJE course since the interior judge looks at the inside and outside of a convertible top. You can take that at New Bern. :rolleyes:

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Guest windjamer

Thanks Susan. Like I said,if I have a doubt I ask the team capt. I dont want to penalize anyone because of a lack of knowlage on my part. At the same time I would hope that questions here will generate thought amoungst our members.

Ron you are right,documentation is the all important safty net. But what about the guy that has no paper work. He bought the car and restored it to the best he could,it looks fine,but is it correct????

Documentation and finding out what is correct is easy to obtain in today's world, especially with all the manufacture specific clubs and forms like this. If he likes it that is all that really matters.

If he restored it with the thought of having it judged in the AACA or brand specific club he learned a very valuable lesson: research prior to a restoration is just as important as the restoration itself. Chances are if the top is incorrect which is typically easy to document there are numerous other things incorrect.