55 power steering pulley is pressed on?

Guest MV10

Is the pulley for the power steering pump on a 55 is pressed on the shaft? I think I vaguely remember somebody here mentioning it, but I'm not sure if it was the pulley or some gear further into disassembly of the pump. I'm replacing most of the stuff hanging off the front of the engine, so I figured while I had the belts off I'd remove the pulley and blast it and repaint it, but I removed the nut and it seems to be pressed on. If it's pressed on, I'll leave well-enough alone, the pump works and doesn't leak which is good enough for me...

It took some significant effort with the assistance of a turkey-leg style gear puller, but it came off. Hopefully after cleaning up the shaft and the inner surface it'll go back on a little easier than it came off...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I planned to do just that. A friend works for a commercial marine turbine repair company and passed me a jar of the anti-seize stuff they use for ship parts. The shaft is keyed but the pulley wasn't, that I could see. I'm wondering if some previous owner ground it off or something. Going to pick them up from my friend with the blasting cabinet later today, so I'll know soon enough.

Hi,

I am surprised that the hub is not slotted for a key. If the hub is not slotted for a key, then the issue of the hub spinning on the shaft comes to mind. Any local machine or motor shop and cut a keyway into your hub for you for a couple of bucks. Then installing a key will assure that the hub cannot spin on the shaft.

Buick certainly used a gazillion of these pumps, and maybe a key was not found to be necessary, but now--when it's apart--is the best time to fit a key to it.

--Tom