Hood Ornament

AJFord54

I own a '54 Ford with the very rare deluxe hood ornament in NOS condition and it is installed on my car. I also own a beautiful rechromed original standard hood ornament. I plan to have the car judged for the first time at an AACA meet this summer. My question is: will I be penalized for showing the car with the deluxe hood ornament installed? Should I bring the regular ornament with me and show it to the judge? Is this a case where the documentation showing that it is an accessory available from Ford be helpful? Unfortunately, removing the ornament exposes a small hole in the hood required for installation.

Actually you would be asked to remove the hood ornament during judging. It didn't come from the factory with one in the trunk, well unless some worker threw it in there for the fun of it :D .

By having it loose you risk it being taken. :( Sorry, but that is the sad truth. We don't want to think people would do that. But two years ago someone took something from Steve M's car at Hershey. :mad: So there you have it.

Edited by Shop Rat
Changed showing to judging. (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking after posting - judging based upon how it came out of the factory - if you could order it with that option, it should be fine.

I'm not an AACA judge (yet), but I think you're right. Factory-authorized dealer-installed items are acceptable as well.

However, this is not true in all clubs, specifically NCRS judging (Corvette). When that club says, "like it came from the factory," they mean, "like it came from the factory." If you're the original buyer of a Corvette and you ordered it to have a luggage rack from Day 1, and it's on your paper work, and you drove off the dealer's lot with it that way, points will be deducted in NCRS. The factory did not install the luggage racks. They were put on by the dealer. This is what I was told when I was editor of C&P Corvette (now Corvette Enthusiast), so if I'm wrong, I'll delete my statement.

I'm not an AACA judge (yet), .....]

I am glad to hear that you are pondering joining us on this side of the hobby. You would be a welcome addition. :)

but I think you're right. Factory-authorized dealer-installed items are acceptable as well. .....

You are correct. If the factory authorized an item, for the make, model and year it is put in, and it was installed by the dealer it will not be deducted for unless it is not in good condition.

Keep in mind, there are no extra points to be gained by adding items that were available just because they exist. HOWEVER, points can be lost if the item(s) is/are not in good shape. Keep it simple if possible.