I'm looking for 6v. halogen headlights

R Walling

Guest cben09

It should be a available item from a vintage motorcycle suplier,,British,,,John Healy,,Middleboro Ma,,, dba / Coventry Spares,,Sells Vincent and Triumph spares,,really he does,,,Cheers,,Ben

All of the Ford guys in our club that put Halogen headlights in their 6 Volt cars had problems with night driving because the lights used more electricity than the generator could produce, hence the battery discharged over a long drive.

Most have replaced the generator with an alternator or gone back to conventional bulbs and spend time annually cleaning wire connections.

Is that a commom problem with other readers?

All of the Ford guys in our club that put Halogen headlights in their 6 Volt cars had problems with night driving because the lights used more electricity than the generator could produce, hence the battery discharged over a long drive.

Most have replaced the generator with an alternator or gone back to conventional bulbs and spend time annually cleaning wire connections.

Is that a commom problem with other readers?

Depends on the bulb and your generator. My 1933 Plymouth has a generator rated at 22 amps. I had the choice of 25 watt or 35 watt quartz-halogen bulbs to plug in as replacements for the original bulbs. I did the math and figured out that neither my generator nor my headlight switch was designed for enough load to run the 35 watt bulbs so I installed the 25 watt ones which draw about the same power as the #1000 incandescent bulbs that many people would use. And, of course, the #1000 bulbs draw more than the #1110 bulbs that originally came in the car but not enough so to be a problem.

I did replace my wiring harness but I haven't done any real electrical maintenance in 10 years. If you need to clean your wire connections each year there is something wrong. Maybe too much current through the contacts? I could see why you might need to clean your reflector periodically unless you've had it done by Uvira.

How good can those antique car headlights be?

However this is a bit of a thread hijack as I believe the original poster was looking for replacements for the #6006 PAR-56 sealed beam headlights on a bit newer car than mine or a Model A Ford.

Guest martylum

Hi-I recently bought a set of 7" sealed beam style 6V halogen lights from Bill Hirsch. See his website for pricing. In my electrical testing of the 49 Chrysler system I find the bulbs draw about 20 amp so you'll want a stout 6V generator to keep up with them.

Martin Lum

Guest DeSoto Frank
Hi-I recently bought a set of 7" sealed beam style 6V halogen lights from Bill Hirsch. See his website for pricing. In my electrical testing of the 49 Chrysler system I find the bulbs draw about 20 amp so you'll want a stout 6V generator to keep up with them.

Martin Lum

Martin - do the Hirsch units have the same rounded profile to the lens as the original sealed-beams ?

How long have you had yours ? Are you happy with them ?

( Up until now, the only composite 7" "sealed-beams" I've seen have been the flat-faced Hella "Euro-style" lights, which look strange installed in a 1940's-'50s fender...)

Thanks,

De Soto Frank