1953- 1956 Dyna Flow Transmission

Guest The Undead

Guest The Undead

Just learning on my 53 Buick Super!!! I don't know much about the DynaFlow but i would like to know for starters if the transmissions were the same from 53-56? Will either of these years bolt up to a 1953 322 Nailhead? I have the original 322 drivetran for my 53 but am having a lot of leakage from the front seal and torqueball of my Dynaflow repairs are gonna be costly... the cheap alternative i have without having to go the whole change of drivetran option is, I have a 56 Dynaflow that is said to be running good. I was told by an old school transmisson mechanic that the 56 Dynaflow will not bolt up to my 53 322 engine! is this for real? Any and ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!

Thanks,

Oscar

Guest kaycee

:) Hi Oscar,

I'll check my parts books tonight and try to get back to you later. The Dynaflow went to a vaiable pitch stator in the converter in '55 which required 'kickdown' linkage off of the throttle linkage, which wo'nt be on your '53 Super, but I'll try to find out if the '56 trans will bolt up to your block.

:) kaycee

Guest kaycee

:) Hi Oscar,

' Getting back to you. From the info that I got from my Buick parts manuals and my fifty years of experience on Buicks, I would just reseal your '53 Dynaflow. It does'nt look like it'll bolt up right, and If you could bolt a '56 trans in, you'd still want to replace the front and rear seals in the '56 trans for insurance.

You still have to pull the rear axle/ torque tube assy. back to install another transmission, so if yours is running o k except for the leaking why not 'drop it' and replace the seals and pan gasket in it? It does'nt mean it'll need a complete rebuild, and It'll be a lot less hassle. ( Probably a front and rear seal and a pan gasket). Please keep us posted. If you have any questions, repost here or e-mail or phone me.

:) kaycee

e-mail littleeight@att.net

Ph. 815 223 3919

Guest The Undead

Thanks Alot to Kaycee and Leif for your help and quick responses!!! I will take your advice and get it fixed! I will store the information that you guys gave me for future reference!!! Thanks again!!!

Oscar

• 1 year later...
Guest 1956 Nailhead

Oscar,

Do you still have the 1956 Dynaflow that is said to run good? If so, would you be interested in selling it? I have a 56-56R 2 Dr hardtop with a 322 that it will bolt right up to and I am looking for one. Please email me if you would be willing to sell it. You can email me at archangelva@aol.com

Thanks,

Jason