Any pictures of 1920-21 Overland 4 roadster?

Guest GlennL

Guest GlennL

I'm restoring an Overland 4 roadster and would like to see pictures of the interior of an original/correctly restored car. The seat frame is made of wood, and it had almost entirely rotted away before I got the car, so I don't have any patterns to follow. Any roadster body from this date that I recall seeing has had the seat entirely filling the body opening; however, in this Overland body there is "too much room" length-wise, so the seat back must have been 8-10 inches ahead of the back of opening in the body shell. I want to see what fills this space; parcel shelf? opening into trunk? I've attached a picture of the rear of the body in my shop, showing the long relative length of the body behind the doors. By comparison, the front seat section of a touring car body is 8-10 inches shorter than this.

post-65744-143138154673_thumb.jpg

Guest GlennL

Hi again. I've added a couple of pictures of the complete car before it was dismantled, to give a better idea of what I am dealing with. If you think it looks unrestorable, you are probably right; luckily I also have a running 1920 touring car that was chopped down into a truck, and it will get a body transplant from this car.

post-65744-143138155817_thumb.jpg

post-65744-143138155821_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello GlenL,

Right off the bat, sorry can't help with pictures of a 20 Overland roadster but..... Strongly urge you to Google and join the WOKR (Willys, Overland, Knight Registry). There are many pictures of models and years that might help you get an idea of the seating plan.

Further, My father has a 1928 Whippet Cabriolet the was in far worse shape than yours having sat on a beach till the wood wheels rotted from the sand and was able to get copies of the original blue prints for the wood in the rear section of his car. They have saved quite a collection of plans and prints from the original Overland Plant in Toledo, Ohio before they were to be discarded so try them out and who knows? At the very least you can make contact possibly with someone who has a similar car.

Dad also has a 1920 Overland touring that I love to drive when given the chance. He bought it in running (not fully restored) condition back in 67. It still has the original leather upholstery which is well worn and really should be replaced but it is a driver and a survivor which we have fun with.

Wish we were closer to see your car but Southern Ontario is a bit of a drive. Good luck with the restoration and look forward to updates, Doug.