Dynaflow question / small leak?

Guest 1950SuperPDX

Guest 1950SuperPDX

So I have a 1950 Super with Dynaflow. Functions perfectly, however it drips just a little. My understanding is that they are notorious for leaking. Its not much at all, the level hasn't even moved in 3 months and I drive it almost daily. I've also heard that if you start tearing into it to fix the small leaks more stuff just creeps up and causes more leaks...

what do you all think?

So I have a 1950 Super with Dynaflow. Functions perfectly, however it drips just a little. My understanding is that they are notorious for leaking. Its not much at all, the level hasn't even moved in 3 months and I drive it almost daily. I've also heard that if you start tearing into it to fix the small leaks more stuff just creeps up and causes more leaks...

what do you all think?

I think you should just put a piece of cardboard or a pan under the tranny and count your blessings..........Bob

I think you should just put a piece of cardboard or a pan under the tranny and count your blessings..........Bob

+1

Keep driving it.

Maybe try checking the torque on bolts related to your transmission...GENTLY!!!

If you hose anything up, the leak will be much worse.

If you stop driving it, the leak will be much worse.

I agree with everything that's been said.

If you still want it fixed, get ready to spend $1000 minimum (probably more--I wouldn't do it for that) to have the transmission pulled out of the car and resealed. Or, spend the better part of a week doing it yourself if you have the capability. You have to either remove the engine or the rear axle/torque tube assembly before you can remove the transmission.

Learn to live with a small leak and count your blessings,as was stated above.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest 1950SuperPDX

yea its no big deal. for a 60 year old all original car I can handle it. If it was the only car I had that I had to rely on then i'd probably have it fixed but its not so its no big deal.

Guest 1950SuperPDX
+1

Keep driving it.

Maybe try checking the torque on bolts related to your transmission...GENTLY!!!

If you hose anything up, the leak will be much worse.

If you stop driving it, the leak will be much worse.

Yea its pretty much my daily so its ok. I don't want to screw anything up. After all it only has 28k miles on it!!!

Read the article in the latest Buick Bugle about changing the torque ball seal. After reading that, I'm sure you will be happy to get out the cardboard and put it under the car. I changed one of those things once and it is no fun at all.

I say that cars are a lot like old people. When they get old, they get incontinent. Hehehehe!

Guest kaycee

:) One thing you can check and repair with very little effort is the Dynaflow pan gasket and drain plug gasket. If you can 'lay the car up ' for a few days with cardboard under it after running it and wiping the pan, etc. dry first, you'll at least be able to get an idea of where it's leaking from. As said in previous posts (and I've done this on the older Dynaflows with torque tube rear axles) it's no fun pulling one out and even replacing a front or rear seal, let alone rebuilding one, so If you can't find a leak at the drain plug or pan gasket and it's leaking a minimal amount I'd drive it and leave well enough alone.

:) kaycee

Dynaflows have a breather tube that comes out of the extension housing. I would verify that this is clear and functioning. If the transmission doesn't breathe it will leak anywhere it can.

(A little compressed air through the tube will work, you will need a small piece of rubber hose to accomplish this, as the breather tube is metal.)

My transmission doesn't leak when driven regularly, but will leave a small puddle if left to sit.

The torque ball however, didn't enjoy the trip to Colorado Springs and appears to now be in need of repair/replacement as my gas tank is covered with oil.....but that appears to be coming from the rear end side of the seal.

I'm not looking forward to either doing that repair or paying someone to do it. :(