value of swap? Model A coupe vs Woody

How well is your coupe restored?

Will it score well in MARC MAFCA judging?

How does it drive, who did the engine? Is it a poorly restored car that handles poorly at 45? Does it drive like new holding 55 MPH all day long comfortably?

What kind of woody are you looking for? A pile of metal looking for wood might be an even trade for plain coupe. A restored woody bring close to $20K at the low end a coupe tends to be around $10k, yea I know some coupes get more- most get less.

In any event you are looking to change from a common car to a very desirable rare car. You best spend some time researching what are original woody parts as a bunch of repro stuff affects value and desirability. You got to make sure of what you are buying unless you have lots of extra $$$ in your pockets.

Home made woodies are usually not worth the packing crates they are made out of. BUT a real Henry Ford Model A woodie is a delight and worth way more than a coupe of comparable condition. As said by others above, make sure the woodie is "real" and be ready to pay a good bit if difference if it is. If not keep your coupe.

Want to echo the suggestion to determine that it is a "true" Ford wagon... there have been woodie-wagon body kits around (Some of them very nice) for decades...

Also, from a performance standpoint, the woody is probably going to be a lot more sluggish than your coupe, due to the weight of that wooden body.

Also, the Model A woody does not have glass windows (except for the windshield), only side-curtains.

Then there's the whole "condition" aspect...

What model coupe do you have ?

One final thing, IFRC - Ford didn't come-out with the station wagon until 1930.

Do your research...

Good luck !

not exactly so, Ford had "station wagons" from 1929 (page 81 Illustrated History of Ford, George H. Dammon), it was new that year, but Model T's from the mid teens were called "depot hacks" and a variety of body builders made them.

"The big style news of the year was the Station Wagon, a $695 vehicle that would set the pace for Ford as a leader in this type of vehicle from this point on. Actually, the production model was simply a modernization of the depot hacks, which had been produced for Model T chassis by several independent manufacturers for years. Similar to the depot hacks which enjoyed no degree of popularity, the crude but practical production Station Wagon also was not an immediate big seller."

So technically 1929 was the 1st year Ford made their own "station wagon" but there were "factory" (just not Ford) depot hacks made since the mid teens on Ford chassis.

That should muddy it up nicely :)

Jim,

My mistake... just looked it up in Jim Schild's "Original Ford Model A"; the wagon was introduced around February of 1929 as a '29 model.

( I'm glad to find I was mistaken, as I prefer the '28-'29 Ford over the '30'31...)

So, what makes the station wagon different from a Depot Hack ?

I believe Dodge Brothers offered a Cantrell-bodied Depot Hack before 1920 ?

Jim,

My mistake... just looked it up in Jim Schild's "Original Ford Model A"; the wagon was introduced around February of 1929 as a '29 model.

( I'm glad to find I was mistaken, as I prefer the '28-'29 Ford over the '30'31...)

So, what makes the station wagon different from a Depot Hack ?

I believe Dodge Brothers offered a Cantrell-bodied Depot Hack before 1920 ?

1917 was Dodge's first time at a truck, I believe. It would have been what they call the screenside (the name describes it perfectly). It was like a depot hack with screened sides. A depot hack is your basic "station wagon" (sometimes had seats, sometimes not), but without side coverings such as windows or side curtains. Your basic "station wagon" has seats and usually some sort of wood paneled body and side coverings such as windows or side curtains. Please someone correct me if I am wrong because I am very eager to learn new things or old things here. Here are some of their offerings for 1919.

post-37352-143138154781_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)