LI Paint Shop Recommendation needed

BUICK59THECAR

LI Paint Shop Recommendation needed

I am looking to have my 1959 Buick painted and need a recommendation of a fantastic shop that can do the job on Long Island <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:State><st1:place><SPAN style=New York</SPAN></st1:State> The body work on the car is complete, the car is primed and ready for a two stage paint job in Black. I want a show winning finish.

Does anybody have a first hand recommendation for me?<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Thanks <O:p</O:pTodd<O:p</O:p

todd8055@gmail.com

</st1:place>

Many restoration shops capable of doing a "show winning" paint job, ours included, will not paint over someone elses body work. At a minimum they (or we) would want to completely strip the primer to see what is underneath. Most shops have learned this the hard way. Two years from now if there is a problem with the finish the customer is far more likely to blame the painter than the bodyman.

Guest Robin Coleman

I agree 100% with Restorer32. Many paints are incompatible with certain primers and will lift it off the body, which is called solvent popping. I have had people come to me wanting a finish paint job over rattle can primer. It is better to let a professional do the job from scratch. With the cost of today's paint you do not want to risk poor results.

Guest Skyking

Ditto to the above. You cannot get a quality paint job if the body work is not perfect. A friend of mine had a 55 Chevy painted. After the paint was completed the painter quit for personal reasons. My friend wanted me to wet sand & buff the car and put it back together as a favor. There were spots on the car where I could not use a block because the panel was too wavy. He learned a huge lesson on body work during my process. The car came out alright, but it wasn't top quality.

Guest ChopShopCustoms

Many restoration shops capable of doing a "show winning" paint job, ours included, will not paint over someone elses body work. At a minimum they (or we) would want to completely strip the primer to see what is underneath. Most shops have learned this the hard way. Two years from now if there is a problem with the finish the customer is far more likely to blame the painter than the bodyman.

right there with you my friend, but I would be happy to review the body work that is there and ensure it is to my quality and then paint over it... (which may require some additonal work )

I paint and restore in the Boston area if anyone is so inclined to contact me. and can provide references as well. My clients come from all over the US. thanks