1956 Buick Jack Location

Guest johnnywolf66

Guest johnnywolf66

I finally found the correct jack and handle for my '56 special. Now, can anyone tell me where the jack is supposed to be located in the trunk? I haven't been able to find any anchors or tie-downs for it. Any help much appreciated.

Guest Skyking

If it's anything like the '55, which it probably is, the jack goes behind the spare tire and is fastened with a spring that includes a little handle to grasp it. There should be a small loop sticking out of the trunk floor behind the tire for the spring to catch onto. The jack base goes up against the inside of the wheel with a large wing nut and the lug wrench went into the back side of the well.

For the 55 and 56 Pontiac's and more than likely Buick's were the same: the jack bag was used when a continental kit was provided. I believe the jack base attached to the spare tire rim via a wingnut and bolt.

A metal plate would cover the spare tire well in the trunk and the jack and associated parts would be placed in the bag (compartments for each part including the base) and placed up on the right hand side hump. With a continental kit there was no spare tire in the trunk (the reason for the metal plate). This is how my 55 Pontiac is and I have all the factory paperwork documenting it. A factory original jack bag in good condition is fairly rare.