Period Photo Thread

This is a digital copy of a print owned by a good friend that we have been trying to positively identify the native American man cranking what is thought to be a 1907? Pope-Toledo car.

After spending many lunch hours browsing native American photo archives on line this image has never been located.

From comparisons I have arrived at this being a man known as "Iron Tail" who is most famous as the source of the facial image portrayed on the United States "Nickle" five cent piece. He later worked for William F. Cody Wild West Shows early in the last century. Cody was known to have a Pope-Toledo vehicle in that time frame. *See Pahaska post card image.

Can anyone confirm or correct my estimation?

Stude8

post-31139-143138167578_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138167583_thumb.jpg

Edited by stude8 (see edit history)
The city picture that was posted today... did anyone notice the 2 very rare mid 30s Checkers waiting at the light by the drugstore? I have never seen any mention that any survive. I say mid 30's or a little newer due to the abbreviated front fenders. The earlier Checkers had normal fronts.

I did get to see in person, a maybe "only one left" 1931 Checker at a local show. I was blown away by the quality, design, and deco features..as well as the large size. It looks like a formal limo. I was telling the driver that it reminded me of a mix between an Auburn and a Cord. He said the car belongs to his boss who owns a cab company, and his boss said these Checkers were designed by E.L. Cord ??

One of the most impressive cars I have seen around here, for sure.

03f6bc0b5583e63c_landing

F&J....... You may enjoy this I have good photo of one of those cabs in my files. Best, T-H

post-65489-143138167588_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure of the year this was taken, or details of the promotion, but here we have Colorado's governor Billy Adams ("Cowboy Billy") from Alamosa, on what appears to be a late 1920's Harley. That's Floyd Clymer with the dark suit and glasses. Photo taken at capitol in Denver. Can anyone help on the bike? I wonder how far he got on the 5 gallons.

post-65643-143138167949_thumb.jpg

It's still snowing so I decided to go somewhere warm. Our intrepid travelers are in the best automobile of the day. A circa 1905 Mercedes double chain drive with a huge set of front sprockets for really moving along. This car has it all, great lamps, fenders, baskets and a nice top. As twin6 always says, I think I could make room for this in my garage.

Who can translate for us? I assume they are viewing a mosque in the Middle East.

Note: Twin6 our very own in house translator got so warmed up by this desert scene, he says this; Probably translates to “middle of Persia (Iran), in front of the mosque of Koum.”

post-65489-143138167953_thumb.jpg

Edited by T-Head (see edit history)

Today for our lunch special we are going to this gorgeous little town that is the height of elegance. I'm sure as we slog thru the mud we can find some greasy spoon to have lunch at. I will make it up to all of you after we eat, I promise, a special show is coming.

post-65489-14313816796_thumb.jpg

After the peanut gallery erupted yesterday afternoon with photos of a bunch of kids with cars I thought today I would do women and cars. At the auto show, at the beach or wherever they are having fun with cars.

I am going to start out at the 1941 NY Worlds Fair with models and cars. So sports fans let's do women and cars but keep it clean or my keyboard with come beat yours up and kick you out of the club house and you will not be able to play with us anymore. Best, T-Head

post-65489-143138167962_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138167964_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138167966_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138167968_thumb.jpg

You guys and girls posting all these older, black & white

photos -- you just don't know what a pleasure it is

for the rest of us to see them. This has to be one of the

greatest threads ever on this forum. Thank you for

sharing all of your pictures.

Let's start the morning with the tow to beat all tow tucks back in that time...... none other than Big Bertha. Is this a custom built truck? Or can you identify the brand? Really study it...... This is quite a truck. Photo from 1940

post-65489-143138168181_thumb.jpg

The Oldsmobile Limited Roadsters are coming out of the woodwork. I found this one in a park like setting and I think it originated with Olds as the photo is marked by them under the running board. Photo dated April 12, 1910 which would lead me to believe it was not taken in Michigan as I do not think the foliage would be developed so much by that date so far north.

Compare with post # 571 a few days ago.

post-65489-143138168199_thumb.jpg

Edited by T-Head (see edit history)

Sorry, no Olds Ltd in this group, but there sure are what appear to be some fine automobiles. This is the garage of the provincial governor or nawab of Rampur, in India. I'd say he had a nice fleet. Can anyone shed light on what these are? I hope every once in a while we can sneak a few foreign photos in, without T-Head's coppers coming after us.

post-65643-143138168516_thumb.jpg

I believe the second car back in the Indian picture is a Lanchester.

Between the weight of the equipment on that big tow truck, and the weight of the truck it's hauling, its rear springs are fully compressed and its front wheels are almost off the ground. That must have been some load!

This is a marvelous thread.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I believe the second car back in the Indian picture is a Lanchester.

Between the weight of the equipment on that big tow truck, and the weight of the truck it's hauling, its rear springs are fully compressed and its front wheels are almost off the ground. That must have been some load!

This is a marvelous thread.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

You are right and just behind it is a Silver Ghost Rolls. T-H