T-Head

Period Photo Thread

Today we are going to watch the rest of the parade here in Kerrville TX. Afterwards we can then grab a sandwich at the coffee shop in the Blue Bonnet Hotel. After lunch let's take a quick trip over to Freer TX and stop at the City Hall and get a fishing license and go fishing there. Photos labeled 1940 and 1937.

post-65489-143138166815_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138166818_thumb.jpg

Paul, it was never identified to me. They started out with a garage and then got a Buick franchise. In '23 they got Olds and it was in the same family when I went to work for them in 1974 and then in 1985 when I bought the store. I will post later pictures in the future.

THIS IS THE #1 VIEWED THREAD EVER ON THE FORUM!

On the way back from fishing I have to take you to this neat gas station called The Happy Landing. The pumps are under the wings of the plane on each side and the rest rooms and office are inside, I think you will enjoy it. Photo 1936.

post-65489-14313816682_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138166822_thumb.jpg

The pride of Cleveland - here are a couple nice Wintons I'd gladly find space for in the garage. One for warm weather outings, and one for days like today.

post-65643-143138166824_thumb.jpg

post-65643-14313816683_thumb.jpg

After we go to the Happy Landing, I want to stop at that junk yard next to the factory. I spied what looks like a custom bodied, close coupled convertible sedan that looks to be salvageable. It is yellow and the top looks good plus it has a nice trunk on the back. I heard that it is a good Buick that a Doctor from the big city left here in town because he burnt the clutch out. I think we can fix it there and but some tires on it and drive it home. A little paint and we can have a nice car for vacation trips.

post-65489-143138166836_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138166838_thumb.jpg

post-65489-14313816684_thumb.jpg

Edited by T-Head (see edit history)

And for my final monday lunch special I am going to trump twin6 and his two Winton's. He and I are both here in snowy cold Vermont and I am going to raise him by three Pierce-Arrows in sunny and warm California. All are mid teens the last two probably model 38's with California Tops.

post-65489-143138166861_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138166865_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138166868_thumb.jpg

Well, with lunch on the agenda (or "dinner" as some call the noon meal), how about steaming over to The Forks Hotel, in Drake, Colorado. Not far from Estes Park, it was a favorite spot for Stanley owners and guests, and it is still in business today. Here are a couple photos with Stanleys from about 1908.

post-65643-143138166871_thumb.jpg

post-65643-143138166873_thumb.jpg

Red alert...... we just got a report of an out of control fire in downtown Hudson Minnesota and the boys are calling out all the stops and taking all the trucks.

We are hoping you fire truck experts can tell us all about what they are rolling out of the station. Photo from 1939.

post-65489-143138166901_thumb.jpg

The chief is on the scene and has called in a second alarm. All of Hudson's trucks are on the streets so the Underwriters Insurance Co. is sending in their early high speed American La France truck with the vacuum cup tires for high speed from the big city next door. Simplex designed this truck for them and it goes like the wind it is old but very fast.

The boys from West Hudson are hurrying to get their ALF ready and are oiling the chains and the valve guides for the trip as they had a bad fire last night.

A finally the Coppers are sending over their Patrol truck with sandwiches and coffee as it looks like it is going to be a long tough battle.

Please enlighten us on any details of these machines.

post-65489-143138166903_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138166907_thumb.jpg

post-65489-14313816691_thumb.jpg

Red alert...... we just got a report of an out of control fire in downtown Hudson Minnesota and the boys are calling out all the stops and taking all the trucks.

We are hoping you fire truck experts can tell us all about what they are rolling out of the station. Photo from 1939.

T - Kinda hard to tell from the small image but my guesses would be Mack 75BX, Mack E and American LaFrance, left to right.

So many great cars and images! Thanks to all who have shared so far.

Here's one of my favorite found photos, showing a proud owner with his speedy and massive 1910 Oldsmobile Limited Roadster.

Probably taken in South Bend, Indiana, per the photographer's stamp on back.

The lettering on the photo reads, "Olds Limited Mile A Minute."

post-31331-143138166958_thumb.jpg

I can't speak on all the fire trucks, but as you're looking at the firehouse, the truck to the left looks like a 1930's vintage Buffalo. Buffalo Fire Appliance Company built trucks in Buffalo, NY. The neighboring Fire Department has a 1931, and a good friend of mine has a 1937, and they both have the same front end.

If I could ever figure out how to load the image, I could show you the front of the other Buffalo so that you could see the difference.

The middle truck is a commercial chassis, so that could be built by anyone (or even homemade), the third truck I can't tell because I can't see enough of it.

For Ex98thdrill; how to post an image, this works for me.

1 Left click on "New Reply" button.

2 Type your message text in the new area of "Reply To Thread" drop down box.

3 Scroll down to "Additional Options" menu, at "Attach Files" press "Manage Attachments" button, a drop down menu opens at left with "Browse" boxes.

*Sometimes it doesn't? If so, cursor up to "Preview Post" and press it, after the Preview opens THEN again scroll down to "Additional Options" menu at "Attach Files" and press "Manage Attachments" button, the drop down menu nows opens at left with "Browse" boxes.

4 Left click on top "Browse" button, a "Choose File To Upload" selection table opens showing locations on your workstation to select from. Left Click on the file you want to upload, cursor down to "Open" button, click on it and your file title name appears in the target browse box. Cursor to and press "Upload" button. Watch upload progress in lower left corner box, a blue line expands until it completes upload and "Done" text appears.

5 Click on "Minimize" (-) button to remove load menu, note your file name appears in "Attach files" box.

6 Last either press "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post" to submit or observe your message before submitting.

Stude8

test post = "Russ Snowberger and his Studebaker race car engine 1930"

post-31139-143138166968_thumb.jpg

More from your library.....

• A 1933 Studebaker
  • Parade in Hazleton, PA on Aug. 27, 1908
  • A photo from our Beach Creek truck scrapbook

The parade photo is my favorite photo thatI've seen since working in the library. I swear if you stare at it long enough the people come to life & the flags start waving!

-Chris

post-58582-143138167309_thumb.jpg

post-58582-143138167312_thumb.jpg

post-58582-143138167314_thumb.jpg

Edited by AACA Library (see edit history)

It is great to see more contributors and interesting old photos. Even the humble cars bring a smile to those who appreciate seeing automobiles of all makes and sizes as they existed in their day. So, here are a Buick and Metz on a rainy day in August, 1914. Photo is courtesy of Eric Haartz, who happens to own examples of each car. The site is main street in Cavendish, Vermont. The large brick mill building still stands.

post-65643-143138167352_thumb.jpg

I guess this is an easy guess as to what kind of car!

Nice Olds, I believe it is a 1911-12 Autocrat speedster or race car which is very well done. Do you know anything more about it Steve?

More from your library.....

• A 1933 Studebaker
  • Parade in Hazleton, PA on Aug. 27, 1908
  • A photo from our Beach Creek ruck scrapbook

The parade photo is my favorite photo thatI've seen since working in the library. I swear if you stare at it long enough the people come to life & the flags start waving!

-Chris

Chris, In the third photo, the engine, radiator and maybe the frame appear to be from a model 16 of 17 Buick from 1909-10, note the overhead valves. The rest is anyones guess as it looks like a four wheel drive made up from components.

Edited by T-Head (see edit history)

The first car to reach Miami Beach, Florida. It has the appearance of being from around 1910 so the press clipping date maybe wrong. I suspect after looking at a larger size photo that this maybe a 1910 Mercer with a non standard custom double bucket body (four seats).

post-65489-143138167358_thumb.jpg

post-65489-14313816736_thumb.jpg

It's always a treat to see Wintons, Pierces etc. but what about equal time for homemade vehicles? I'll bet followers of the thread have some choice examples to share. Let's hope these will spark some enthusiasm. It's safe to say these are the pride and joy of their makers, even if Ralph Nader might condemn them. The steering systems alone are frightful.

post-65643-143138167361_thumb.jpg

post-65643-143138167365_thumb.jpg

Today for lunch let's go to the new Pan American Airways building at the new Los Angeles Airport. There is a great lunch place there and then we can check out the planes afterwards. Photo from 1939

post-65489-143138167368_thumb.jpg

When we leave the airport I want to stop at this gas station around the corner that has unbelievable service.

post-65489-143138167369_thumb.jpg