x-100

1940 & 1941 Buick Brunn Bodied Coachwork

Trying to get this back to the top to see if we can raise more interest. So far it is Dave, Dale and myself and it looks like Sat will be the day. Lets try to do something either about 830 Am- to 9 AM or after judging (2-3 PM if we are lucky). Contact me by cell phone 860.558.6764. I will gather up my Brunn and other coachbuilt Buicks stuff.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Wish I could be there and wish that we could all hop into Dale's hotrod Limited and have John navigate us over to see the McCormick Custom Landau. Alas, none of this shall be and the mystery is preserved.

I am attempting to have at least the passenger side SWEEP SPEAR on.......Brunn clone style.

I don't know about HOT ROD, it's only 400 HP. The issue with it lacking TIRE BURNING performance is the 2.73 rear gear. Man would I love to have a 3.70, and with it coupled to the 700R low first couple gears, it would be a tire burner. Cheap me, don't want to spend the $1,000.00 for the gear.

My limited rides on all Vette aluminum suspension, 17" rims, 30" tall tires.

Ultra Leather interior, 6 mod colors, with sweep spear inspired leather headliner, so peek at that if you see it parked.

Love my driver Limited, Dad in heaven is looking down a SMILING, he was the proudest Buick guy I ever met.

My car is a driver, gets dirty, but is in great mechanical shape, it could go cross country everyday.

It's been on the road since 1997.

It does LOVE 80 MPH

I plan on bringing my two Buick hand built models. One is the 1945 parade float featuring the new 46 Buick, and one just finished, over 200 hours, my Art Deco semi-truck car hauler.

Pictures to be posted tomorrow.

Dale in Indy SORRY TO RAMBLE.

On the Fernandez & Darrin designed sedanca de ville, I recall sitting at a car show and hearing a man about 40 telling a friend that his family once owned that car back East and that as lads, they replaced the grille with a Rolls Royce grille, and had fun driving it around with one of them dressed as a chauffeur. Has anyone else heard that story and know if it has been printed anywhere? I would like to find out when that was, what they bought it for and what they eventually sold it for (maybe with the Buick grille back on it?). I personally think town cars really would have been politically incorrect after WWII when they were being depicted in cartoons as cars owned by crass industrialists...

Thought I would bring this back to the top.

It has been awhile since the last post and with the new update to the forums, I thought some

would like to read the thread again and see some of the great photos that have been posted.

It was the first thread I started in the Buick forums and one that I'm proud of.

My original intention to the thread was to find the owner of the 1941 Buick Limited Brunn Bodied Brougham.

In time I was able to locate the car and it's owner.

It's my hope that some day this Buick will reappear at some Buick Shows.

Maybe the 2016 Nationals???

The 41 Limited is not that far from Allenstown, Pa

post-101291-0-95808000-1432859454_thumb.

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

I have been in touch with the owner of the 1940 Townmaster, Mr. Slowick, and am hoping to have an article and photos of this car in the August 2015 issue of the Buick Bugle.

Pete Phillips

• Like 2

Now that would make a National even more interesting than ever, to have one or more of those beautiful Brunn customs in Allentown in 2016!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

Now that would make a National even more interesting than ever, to have one or more of those beautiful Brunn customs in Allentown in 2016!

Keith

Hopefully the powers to be are watching.

It would be great to see the Townmaster at Allentown!

Regarding the 1940 and/or 1941 Brunn Roadmaster convertibles...it was reported in the New York Times on May 26, 1940 that a Buick "Brunn body custom sports roadster on a standard Series 70 chassis [was] on order for Hood Bassett, son of the late Harry F. Basset." This would have been the car based on a 1940 Model 76C. There was also at least one 1941 Brunn Roadmaster with similar styling. Another report from the period indicates that Hood Bassett and several others were involved in a car wreck in Cuba "between Christmas and New Years, 1940-41." Mr. Basset apparently lived in the Miami area, so he might have been driving his '40 Buick when the Cuban accident occured. That bit of speculation leads to a totally unsupportable, but still intriguing possibility, that the '41 Brunn 76C carried the 1940 body, or was built as a replacement for the earlier car. Here's an old PR photo of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster. I wrote the 1979 Special-Interest article that is referenced in the recent summary of Brunn Buick customs, and the story that this car burned up on a North Dakota highway around 1958 was related directly to me in the 1970s by a pre-war Buick collector/enthusiast from Fargo. He told me he'd owned the car while still a teenager and that it was burned beyond repair.

Attached is an old PR image of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster "custom sports roadster"...

post-76738-0-63064500-1432959200_thumb.j

• Like 1

It would be great to see the Townmaster at Allentown!

Regarding the 1940 and/or 1941 Brunn Roadmaster convertibles...it was reported in the New York Times on May 26, 1940 that a Buick "Brunn body custom sports roadster on a standard Series 70 chassis [was] on order for Hood Bassett, son of the late Harry F. Basset." This would have been the car based on a 1940 Model 76C. There was also at least one 1941 Brunn Roadmaster with similar styling. Another report from the period indicates that Hood Bassett and several others were involved in a car wreck in Cuba "between Christmas and New Years, 1940-41." Mr. Basset apparently lived in the Miami area, so he might have been driving his '40 Buick when the Cuban accident occured. That bit of speculation leads to a totally unsupportable, but still intriguing possibility, that the '41 Brunn 76C carried the 1940 body, or was built as a replacement for the earlier car. Here's an old PR photo of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster. I wrote the 1979 Special-Interest article that is referenced in the recent summary of Brunn Buick customs, and the story that this car burned up on a North Dakota highway around 1958 was related directly to me in the 1970s by a pre-war Buick collector/enthusiast from Fargo. He told me he'd owned the car while still a teenager and that it was burned beyond repair.

Attached is an old PR image of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster "custom sports roadster"...

A story with intrigue, I like.

On 5/28/2015 at 10:41 PM, Pete Phillips said:

I have been in touch with the owner of the 1940 Townmaster, Mr. Slowick, and am hoping to have an article and photos of this car in the August 2015 issue of the Buick Bugle.

Pete Phillips

I realize this is a really old thread. A lot of the photo links in the earlier portions of this thread are now broken. I recently received some printed photos of the 1940 Townmaster from the owner by postal mail. He has provided me with some information and a couple of photos to do a story in the Torque Tube II. The scans of his printed photos that I have are not going to do the car justice in the Torque Tube II. Pete I assume you have some decent photos. Earl Beauchamp also indicated in this thread that he has some photos that he took. I would really love to get some better photos than the ones that I have. Pete and Earl, any chance you can share some photos with me? 

I may be able to help.

Send me a PM with your email address and I send you what I have.

Is the owner of the Townmaster the same owner of the past45 years or so?

15 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

I may be able to help.

Send me a PM with your email address and I send you what I have.

Is the owner of the Townmaster the same owner of the past45 years or so?

Thanks but I have already published the article about the Townmaster in the Torque Tube II. I received information from Pete Phillips and Earl Beauchamp in addition to what I received from the owner.

Yes, Mr. Slowick has owned the car for a long time.