1940 & 1941 Buick Brunn Bodied Coachwork

Guest x-100

It would be great to see the Townmaster at Allentown!

Regarding the 1940 and/or 1941 Brunn Roadmaster convertibles...it was reported in the New York Times on May 26, 1940 that a Buick "Brunn body custom sports roadster on a standard Series 70 chassis [was] on order for Hood Bassett, son of the late Harry F. Basset." This would have been the car based on a 1940 Model 76C. There was also at least one 1941 Brunn Roadmaster with similar styling. Another report from the period indicates that Hood Bassett and several others were involved in a car wreck in Cuba "between Christmas and New Years, 1940-41." Mr. Basset apparently lived in the Miami area, so he might have been driving his '40 Buick when the Cuban accident occured. That bit of speculation leads to a totally unsupportable, but still intriguing possibility, that the '41 Brunn 76C carried the 1940 body, or was built as a replacement for the earlier car. Here's an old PR photo of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster. I wrote the 1979 Special-Interest article that is referenced in the recent summary of Brunn Buick customs, and the story that this car burned up on a North Dakota highway around 1958 was related directly to me in the 1970s by a pre-war Buick collector/enthusiast from Fargo. He told me he'd owned the car while still a teenager and that it was burned beyond repair.

Attached is an old PR image of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster "custom sports roadster"...

post-76738-0-63064500-1432959200_thumb.j

• Like 1

It would be great to see the Townmaster at Allentown!

Regarding the 1940 and/or 1941 Brunn Roadmaster convertibles...it was reported in the New York Times on May 26, 1940 that a Buick "Brunn body custom sports roadster on a standard Series 70 chassis [was] on order for Hood Bassett, son of the late Harry F. Basset." This would have been the car based on a 1940 Model 76C. There was also at least one 1941 Brunn Roadmaster with similar styling. Another report from the period indicates that Hood Bassett and several others were involved in a car wreck in Cuba "between Christmas and New Years, 1940-41." Mr. Basset apparently lived in the Miami area, so he might have been driving his '40 Buick when the Cuban accident occured. That bit of speculation leads to a totally unsupportable, but still intriguing possibility, that the '41 Brunn 76C carried the 1940 body, or was built as a replacement for the earlier car. Here's an old PR photo of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster. I wrote the 1979 Special-Interest article that is referenced in the recent summary of Brunn Buick customs, and the story that this car burned up on a North Dakota highway around 1958 was related directly to me in the 1970s by a pre-war Buick collector/enthusiast from Fargo. He told me he'd owned the car while still a teenager and that it was burned beyond repair.

Attached is an old PR image of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster "custom sports roadster"...

A story with intrigue, I like.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/28/2015 at 10:41 PM, Pete Phillips said:

I have been in touch with the owner of the 1940 Townmaster, Mr. Slowick, and am hoping to have an article and photos of this car in the August 2015 issue of the Buick Bugle.

Pete Phillips

I realize this is a really old thread. A lot of the photo links in the earlier portions of this thread are now broken. I recently received some printed photos of the 1940 Townmaster from the owner by postal mail. He has provided me with some information and a couple of photos to do a story in the Torque Tube II. The scans of his printed photos that I have are not going to do the car justice in the Torque Tube II. Pete I assume you have some decent photos. Earl Beauchamp also indicated in this thread that he has some photos that he took. I would really love to get some better photos than the ones that I have. Pete and Earl, any chance you can share some photos with me? 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

I may be able to help.

Send me a PM with your email address and I send you what I have.

Is the owner of the Townmaster the same owner of the past45 years or so?

Thanks but I have already published the article about the Townmaster in the Torque Tube II. I received information from Pete Phillips and Earl Beauchamp in addition to what I received from the owner.

Yes, Mr. Slowick has owned the car for a long time. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
23 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I have recently met the longtime owner of the Townmaster  and thought  I’d bring this very informative and interesting thread back up. 

Lamar, 

Our minds are working in the same direction. I was planning on doing the same thing.

Many of you may know I started this thread back in December of 2009 as a guest of the Forum.

It went on to be very successful, informative and rated 5 Stars by the members. 

I may have more info on the 1940 Townmaster in a few days.

Stay tuned.

1940 Buick Townmaster (1A).jpg

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, MCHinson said:

Thanks but I have already published the article about the Townmaster in the Torque Tube II. I received information from Pete Phillips and Earl Beauchamp in addition to what I received from the owner.

Yes, Mr. Slowick has owned the car for a long time. 

What issue was that published in?

Are copies still available?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

What issue was that published in?

Are copies still available?

Since I can't upload a .pdf to the Discussion Forum, I will post a link to that issue via Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sY0ZmWBYyJcesVQ-3AgKh7ZGTQQOXlQP&authuser=matthew.c.hinson%40gmail.com&usp=drive_fs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 10:08 PM, MCHinson said:

Since I can't upload a .pdf to the Discussion Forum, I will post a link to that issue via Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sY0ZmWBYyJcesVQ-3AgKh7ZGTQQOXlQP&authuser=matthew.c.hinson%40gmail.com&usp=drive_fs

Wow tha's quite a magazine!

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here is a photo (First Photo) that automotive historian Terry Boyce sent me thru Facebook.

The photo was taken by Boyce back in September 1979.

It shows the unique windshield formation of the Townmaster.

In the construction of the Townmaster, Brunn used the cowl, windshield. and vent windows of a 1940 Roadmaster Phaeton. The purpose of this was for the soft top roof that would rest above the chauffeur.

However, it's primary purpose was to give the windshield a lower rake and more sweep to the windshield.

When viewing the windshield of the Townmaster it is much lower, angled lower, and sweeps further in (pointed).

Note how close the sun visors are angled to each other compared to a windshield of a 1940 four door Roadmaster.

1940 Buick Townmaster Interior Front View 1978.jpg

1940 Buick Townmaster (1A).jpg

1940 Townmaster Interior and Chauffeur's Roof (4).jpg

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Didn't I see the Townmaster advertised for sale in the Bugle recently? At a very reasonable price, too.

The owner has been trying to sell it since 2018.

He has advertised it in Hemmings, The CCCA 's magazine for several years and now The Bugle. 

I have talked with the owner several times in the past few weeks.

It is nearly impossible to get up to date photos or an accurate description as the owner does not use a computer.

There is a possibility that the Townmaster may be going to new owners in Italy.

I hope not because of The Townmaster's history and that we most likely will never see it again if it does indeed go to Italy.

• Thanks 1

It is nearly impossible to get up to date photos or an accurate description as the owner does not use a computer.

Yes, it has been for sale for a long time but it is difficult to get information from him. When I profiled the car back in the Torque Tube II in 2020, it was difficult to get information. Luckily, the late Earl Beauchamp had visited him and had shared some photos that he had taken of the car. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Yes, it has been for sale for a long time but it is difficult to get information from him. When I profiled the car back in the Torque Tube II in 2020, it was difficult to get information. Luckily, the late Earl Beauchamp had visited him and had shared some photos that he had taken of the car. 

Your article in the Torque Tube II was very informative. I enjoyed it.

• Like 2

One page spread given to the 1940 Townmaster in the issue of

The Buick Magazine April 1940.

In my view it is a bad photo of the Townmaster.

It appears much shorter compared to the second photo of the same time period.

img4865_157068 (2).jpg

1940 Buick Townmaster (1).jpg

• Like 1

*UPDATE*

I spoke with the owner of the Buick Townmaster today.

It appears very unlikely the Buick will be going to Italy.

The potential buyer was making unreasonable demands from the seller to make the deal work.

In my view good news for this historical car.

1940 Buick Townmaster (4).jpg

Are there any extant 1941 Series 90 Brunn cars?

Dave, I should have gone to the very beginning of the thread which you started in 2009. I should have done my research. Thanks. 

• Like 1

I just ran across this thread and read through it. Super interesting! I've just learned about the coachbuilding era at school and running into this thread was a happy coincidence. 

Is there a source anywhere with a list of coachbuilders who used Buick and production numbers? I'd love to learn more about these coachbuilt Buicks. 

I saw Dave's short list of builders on the second page of this thread posted in 2010 and wondered if a more complete list existed. 

Love looking at the pictures of these custom Buicks!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

*UPDATE*

I spoke with the owner of the Buick Townmaster today.

It appears very unlikely the Buick will be going to Italy.

The potential buyer was making unreasonable demands from the seller to make the deal work.

In my view good news for this historical car.

1940 Buick Townmaster (4).jpg

Do we know what the owner is looking for? Thanks

42 minutes ago, Edwin The Kid said:

Is there a source anywhere with a list of coachbuilders who used Buick and production numbers? I'd love to learn more about these coachbuilt Buicks. 

I saw Dave's short list of builders on the second page of this thread posted in 2010 and wondered if a more complete list existed. 

Edwin

This site may be helpfull to you.

If you don't find what you're looking for, you can contact them, and they may have the info.

Coachbuilders, Coach Building, Coachbuilt Cars, Coachbuilding History, Encyclopedia, American Coach Builders & Coachwork, Carriages

A front view of the 1941 Buick Brunn Bodied Brougham Town Car, and a photo of the Brunn nameplate on the door by the cowl.

Note the absence of the Buick Grill Ornament. It was a common practice to eliminate the logos of the auto manufactures by the coach builders.

I have a Brunn nameplate in my collection of Buick items.

1941 Buick Limited Brunn Bodied Broughm Town Car _6.jpg

1941 Buick Limited Brunn Town Car  Brunn nameplate.jpg

• Like 2

I was giving serious consideration to buy the 1940 Townmaster.

I talked with the owner several times over the past few weeks and 

decided to contract with an appraiser to give me an evaluation of the car that included close to 100 photos. I was not looking for an appraisal but a pre purchase inspection on the car.

I am sorry to say the car is not in the condition to warrant the asking price of $70,000.

The Buick in its current condition is a driver.

I call the car a 20-footer. It looks good from 20 feet away but as you get closer to the car its problems become quickly evident.

In my view the car needs a total restoration. Most of the problems with the car are what you don’t see until you start looking under the hood, the undercarriage, and the interior.

Chrome, and bright work needs to be replanted or replaced. The paint is cracking and needs immediate attention in several places. Wet sanding and buffing would not bring out the paint. The windows have lost its laminate, and all the weather stripping needs to be replaced. Etc. etc.

The Townmaster is a prime candidate for Doug Sebold.

Not only could he return the car to its original glory, but it would preserve its history as well.

Hopefully the Buick will land in the right hands. I gave it honest consideration.

Here are two photos of the Townmaster.

First one is the 20-footer photo and the second one shows the car with its current owner, Dan Slowik.

Mr. Slowik has owned the car for 43 years. He has had the car the longest. The second longest time of ownership was 25 years. During that time, it was owned by the mother of the family who owned the Lilly Paper Cup Company. It sat most of the time on her Connecticut Estate.

These photos were taken on September 18, 2023.

They are the latest photos taken of this very rare and rarely seen Buick.

The photo of the owner with the Townmaster is almost as rare as many stories have been published over the years about the Townmaster but never showing Mr. Slowik.

I love this car I wish it could have worked out as I had hoped.

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

• Like 2

When there is only one of something how do you put a price on that?   It literally only requires one guy that wants to be king of the Buicks.

Btw,  restoring that these days would be a 300K adventure that I'm not sure anyone would embark on.   Best to clean it up and enjoy it the way it is.

• Like 2