1940 & 1941 Buick Brunn Bodied Coachwork

It would be great to see the Townmaster at Allentown!

Regarding the 1940 and/or 1941 Brunn Roadmaster convertibles...it was reported in the New York Times on May 26, 1940 that a Buick "Brunn body custom sports roadster on a standard Series 70 chassis [was] on order for Hood Bassett, son of the late Harry F. Basset." This would have been the car based on a 1940 Model 76C. There was also at least one 1941 Brunn Roadmaster with similar styling. Another report from the period indicates that Hood Bassett and several others were involved in a car wreck in Cuba "between Christmas and New Years, 1940-41." Mr. Basset apparently lived in the Miami area, so he might have been driving his '40 Buick when the Cuban accident occured. That bit of speculation leads to a totally unsupportable, but still intriguing possibility, that the '41 Brunn 76C carried the 1940 body, or was built as a replacement for the earlier car. Here's an old PR photo of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster. I wrote the 1979 Special-Interest article that is referenced in the recent summary of Brunn Buick customs, and the story that this car burned up on a North Dakota highway around 1958 was related directly to me in the 1970s by a pre-war Buick collector/enthusiast from Fargo. He told me he'd owned the car while still a teenager and that it was burned beyond repair.

Attached is an old PR image of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster "custom sports roadster"...

post-76738-0-63064500-1432959200_thumb.j

• Like 1

It would be great to see the Townmaster at Allentown!

Regarding the 1940 and/or 1941 Brunn Roadmaster convertibles...it was reported in the New York Times on May 26, 1940 that a Buick "Brunn body custom sports roadster on a standard Series 70 chassis [was] on order for Hood Bassett, son of the late Harry F. Basset." This would have been the car based on a 1940 Model 76C. There was also at least one 1941 Brunn Roadmaster with similar styling. Another report from the period indicates that Hood Bassett and several others were involved in a car wreck in Cuba "between Christmas and New Years, 1940-41." Mr. Basset apparently lived in the Miami area, so he might have been driving his '40 Buick when the Cuban accident occured. That bit of speculation leads to a totally unsupportable, but still intriguing possibility, that the '41 Brunn 76C carried the 1940 body, or was built as a replacement for the earlier car. Here's an old PR photo of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster. I wrote the 1979 Special-Interest article that is referenced in the recent summary of Brunn Buick customs, and the story that this car burned up on a North Dakota highway around 1958 was related directly to me in the 1970s by a pre-war Buick collector/enthusiast from Fargo. He told me he'd owned the car while still a teenager and that it was burned beyond repair.

Attached is an old PR image of the 1941 Brunn Roadmaster "custom sports roadster"...

A story with intrigue, I like.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/28/2015 at 10:41 PM, Pete Phillips said:

I have been in touch with the owner of the 1940 Townmaster, Mr. Slowick, and am hoping to have an article and photos of this car in the August 2015 issue of the Buick Bugle.

Pete Phillips

I realize this is a really old thread. A lot of the photo links in the earlier portions of this thread are now broken. I recently received some printed photos of the 1940 Townmaster from the owner by postal mail. He has provided me with some information and a couple of photos to do a story in the Torque Tube II. The scans of his printed photos that I have are not going to do the car justice in the Torque Tube II. Pete I assume you have some decent photos. Earl Beauchamp also indicated in this thread that he has some photos that he took. I would really love to get some better photos than the ones that I have. Pete and Earl, any chance you can share some photos with me? 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Dave Gelinas (XP-300) said:

I may be able to help.

Send me a PM with your email address and I send you what I have.

Is the owner of the Townmaster the same owner of the past45 years or so?

Thanks but I have already published the article about the Townmaster in the Torque Tube II. I received information from Pete Phillips and Earl Beauchamp in addition to what I received from the owner.

Yes, Mr. Slowick has owned the car for a long time.