1933 Packard club sedan super 8 auction

Looks pretty original under there to me also, Wayne. We like surface rust over weird paint for sure. I really like this car, could see it as the next logical step for me (original nice driver, love club sedans and also a Full Classic, love those '33 - 34s) if I ever do move up. Will be interesting to see what it sells for, as Ken has said before the closed cars can be great deals.

If anyone is able to get the auction results it would be great to know that. Just a couple years too early for me as I still have extortion, er, college payments to make for another year and a half anyway!

Happy New Years all.

I don't think it's that weird. The brass water jacket cover was left bare brass and the iron head was put on without painting it, so now it has surface rust on it. I think these are easy fixes and should not affect value much at all. I think the interior is largely original, and the car was probably painted back in the 1960's or 70's.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

One of the most popular years, 33-34, nice closed body style, Super 8, nice condition, yes, 30K would be a good price on this one I think. I believe there was a similar car (maybe not even a club sedan) that was for sale not long ago for over 50K.

You know, the thing that sucks on closed 1933 Packards is the front door window openings. The don't roll down like a normal car. It's two pieces of glass that are hinged at the front & back and they swing open from the center. It's difficult to get your arm out the window to do a hand turn signal. In the old days, I've heard of folks using 1934 sedan doors on 1933 cars since in 1934 Packard went to the normal roll down method.

Looks like one of our regulars is at it again. Check out the post in "antique cars in snow" on main forum!

"Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

(The Joker in the movie "Batman")

He seems to be a magnet for those high class rides.

• 1 month later...
Yes, Tom bought it. Looks like a really nice car.

Yes it looks like a nice car, but what about that engine?? Is there any evidence at all that the engine has been apart or at least had the bearings replaced? It's being sold with a "resale rebuild", which is what I call taking a spray can and making the engine look as though it's been rebuilt.

In all fairness, if I were a dealer, I would paint that engine, too, because it sure was ugly as you can see in some of the posted photos. But for $65,000 I would expect that it has a good, rebuilt engine. You may share your opinion if you disagree.

Seriously, I'd like to know what you think about original engines versus rebuilt engines for driving. My experience on two similar vintage Packards has been that original babbitt crystallizes, cracks and shatters. No matter how well the car runs, you don't want to run on original babbitt bearings.

--Scott