A fairy tale just for car collectors

R Walling

Once there was a very handsome auto collector that met a very beautiful young lady.

<O:p

He asked her to marry him.

She said NO!

And the auto collector lived happily ever after and went to junk yards and restored cars and went to car shows and drank beer in the garage with his friends and had all the money he needed to buy accessories and he left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted to.

<O:pThe end.

OK, so, here's the thing. They are things of beauty, and most of us reading this forum couldn't live without them, with their temperamental ways and beautiful bodies. They take a lot of money and care, and even with that, can leave you stranded at times. Many of them show their age, but are still wonderful to admire and travel with. You do have to take certain precautions, to make sure they don't freeze. They are adorned with shiny things, and those shiny things seem to get more expensive each year. The things they wear to touch the ground come in all colors and sizes, and besides being expensive in their own right, are a constant source of debate. When we have a really nice one, we love to show them off.

I'll let you decide which of the two I'm discussing here. Happy New Year to all.

I guess sometimes we just get lucky -

Dale gave me a gift certificate for an OVERDRIVE unit for the Packard

She LOVES touring and the people we have come to know along the way

Her first Valentines day gift from me was a set of AIR HORNS for her Toyota Crown Station Wagon, and that was back in 1970. Her engagement present (before the ring) was a new Ambassador Garcia reel for her offshore fishing.

She has encouraged our enjoyment (and spending) in the Old Car Hobby , and driving Monument Valley in a Vintage Convertible is a lot more fun than looking at a declining 401-K balance - in fact the cars have held and increased their value, while our investments have lost ground over the last 10 years.

Roger, this attempt at humor is understandable, but

SOME OF US ARE REALLY FORTUNATE TO BE ABLE TO SHARE THIS GREAT HOBBY WITH OUR SPOUSES--

I CERTAINLY AM

SO IS TRIMACAR

SO IS SHOP RAT

AND MANY OTHERS

I hope your experience is more positive than it sounds

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

.....SOME OF US ARE REALLY FORTUNATE TO BE ABLE TO SHARE THIS GREAT HOBBY WITH OUR SPOUSES--.....

That is so true Marty. This photo is proof of that. It is most of the folks that we started going to Hershey with from our Region here. There is one fellow in the photo, Rodger, who's wife Barbara had passed away. And his mother-in-law Jean is there but his father-in-law Charlie had also passed away. Another lady, Charlotte, lost her husband to cancer but her son is in the photo. The youngest guy in the photo was a college student from Russia that had been staying with Rodger for a year. They stayed with us in our RV.

I myself have walked every field at Hershey every year with Bill since about 1982 when we went to our first Hershey event. I have helped look for and carry parts. I am the one that spotted the must sought after correct running boards for our '39 Dodge. :) I paid $30 for a Radio Flyer wagon to haul a $1.00 tire he bought for the '39 Dodge when he just couldn't carry the tire any further. :rolleyes:

And over the nearly thirty years we have been married he has helped me many times with my horses and other pets. But the thing he helped with that has meant the most was my mom and dad as my mom battled cancer and as my dad slipped into dementia following her passing.

post-36313-143138150989_thumb.jpg

To Susan, (with apologies).

There once was a man who only wanted to collect cars. He was always working in his garage all alone. A very wise man told him that if he didn’t get married and get a family, there would be no one to even give him a glass of water on his death bed.

So he gave up his car collecting and got married, had several kids and many grandsons and daughters and lived till a very old age with his family, and on his death bed, he told the story about the man who warned him that there would be no one to give him a drink of water.

He then stated, “and now that I am dying, I'M NOT EVEN THIRSTY!”