What Antique did you drive Today?

Marty Roth

Christmas day in New Orleans, a beautifully clear day with very cold (for us) temperatures, only reaching 49 degrees.

The triple-black 1970 Cadillac convertible was wearing her new wide-whitewalls, so we drove her to our son and daughter-in-law's home for lunch and the afternoon.

Late afternoon we drove the Caddy out into the country for Dinner with our Grandson, Daughter, and her family.

The DeVille "drop-top" has a trunk big enough to carry away a lot of gifts.

Here in Virginia, Marty has driven me nuts by rubbing in the fact that after a day of rain(yesterday and still today), we still have spots of snow in the yard and my back deck has about 6 inches looking at me through the back door!:(

Wayne

Yeah, doesn't it just make you want to smack him? :eek: :D

Just kidding Marty. It is nice that SOMEONE has weather they can go out in with an old vehicle. If Woodstock was available we still couldn't take him out since the DOH had to put salt on the roads for the weather we did have. With the run off of the melting snow, and the rain we had yesterday, it makes a nice brine that gets into every nook and cranny under a vehicle. Not something we would want to have to clean up after.

It is finally sunny today. :cool: Bill just left to go deer hunting at a friend's place. :) And poor Woodstock is still sitting up in the air with his jammies on. :(

Saturday morning, and every trash can up and down the street is overflowing with wrapping paper, and grandkids have new rollerskates and wave-boards and Remote-Control Gigantic race cars and pick-up trucks.

I back the sky-blue 1954 Cadillac convertible out of her garage (after lowering the top inside where it is still room temperature), and the kids gather at her polished flanks, peering over the gunwhales with comments of "Huge, ---Neat, ---is that a Transformer?, ----so shiny !!" A 30-something mom asks "are you the original owner?" - I was only 11 when this dreamboat hit the showrooms in October of '53, but I get the same question about the '14, '30, '34, and 1941 models - I guess I just look old , but that is a function of parenting -- Max Shulman would say "but I digress".

Took neighbor kids and grandparents around the neighborhood in the mid-fifties dreamboat, but too early, and too cold to stop for ice cream, and the snowball stand is closed for the season. The temp is only 47 (feels like 44), and going up to 55 this afternoon.

This past Wednesday, the '30 Packard was at the office Christmas Party - all shiny and festive, and is now safely and warmly tucked away in the display area she shares with a friend's Rolls-Royces, protected by alarm and fire-protection systems.

Decent weather for the coming week will encourage more old-car enjoyment -- we will do what we can to make up for our Northern Friends who must wait a few months for their oldcar driving enjoyment.

Happy holidays to Y'all from Gaston the GreenNosed Alligator who pulls Papa Noel's Batteau up the bayou with toys for the Cajun chirren.

Guest DeSoto Frank

Can't drive the old iron... PennDOT's been flingin' the Car-B-Gone like it was Christmas Candy ! :mad:

:(

:rolleyes:

Happy Holidays anyway !

:cool:

Guest mercman86

Its freezing cold and snowing like crazy here! I went to check on my baby at the shop. Still nice and shiny under her cover, just wating for spring to go for a ride. Almost froze my hands off last night after the wipers decided to stop working on my taurus. Good thing it was only the link that connects to the motor that popped off so the lil lady could see thru the snow to get to work.

I drove the 1934 Ford Fordor today to lay out the Birthday Tour for

New Years Day. All cars have a birthday on 1/1 and we celebrate the Birthday by leading a tour of about 60 antique cars on a 30 mile tour for Birthday pictures and dinner at a local eatery.

This year we'll stop at the local Airport for pictures in front of a 1934 Stinson

Tri-Motor and a 1941 Waco Bi-Plane. Of the the 60 or so participating vehicles,

40 will be Pre-WWII. Oldest will be a 1912 Cadillac or a 1913 Model T. This is

about the 30th year for this tour that started with just two of us who were not hungover and realized that traffic was lighter than normal, so we went for a ride. Now we have 60 or more following us and get a free picture of our car actually being driven!

Happy New Yeat to All, If you are in St Petersburg Florida on New Years Day

please join us, we've only been rained out once in the 30 years.

PaulDobbin@aol.com

Paul,

I know your group will enjoy that drive on the 1st - my best to Jim and Gail, John and Janet, and all the BBTR folks -- wish Dale and I could be with you.

Best to you and Inge for the new Year

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Guest windjamer

Paul I like your idea so much Im going to volinteer to set up a birthday tour in Sept. for my local club here in the frozen land of New york.

I'd been adjusting the brake on my 1906 Buick, but hadn't been able to test drive it to see if what I'd done had worked. Today it got to 46 and sunny, after a day of rain that had washed away the snow and salt, so I went for a test putter around the neighborhood. I came across a couple from California who were visiting her father, and they flagged me down. Turns out he has a '30s Buick, she has a '55 Porsche, he has a '55 Chev wagon, etc. I invited them over to my house, we dug out the '13 Ford and went joyriding. He'd never been in a Model T or any brass-era car; maybe I'll make a convert.

The Buick brake needs a bit more work. But I'm getting close!

It's supposed to start snowing again this coming week.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Guest richentee

Yesterday dawned clear and cool (38) for Pasadena and more than a hundred car people in everything from a Trabant to a Tatra, including Marmons, Franklins, a Panhard-Levassor, three or more Pope Hardfords, three steamers, a White, a Stanley and a Locomobile, more Ford Model T's than you could count, a few Maxwell 2-cylinders runabouts, and too many Cadillacs, Lincolns and Packards to care about, not to mention Oldmobiles and Reos, but no Renaults, all gathered for a day of touring, gawking, talking and donut eating.

post-62206-143138151007_thumb.jpg

post-62206-143138151009_thumb.jpg

post-62206-143138151011_thumb.jpg

post-62206-143138151012_thumb.jpg

post-62206-143138151013_thumb.jpg

post-62206-143138151015_thumb.jpg

post-62206-143138151016_thumb.jpg

post-62206-143138151017_thumb.jpg

post-62206-143138151018_thumb.jpg

This Pasadena event sounds like what we do in Florida. Please post more details on what they do, or PM me PaulDobbin@aol.com.

I've been leading this tour so long (abouy 30 years) I'm running out of ideas. There is a lot of interest in this kind of event with two conditions,

#1 FREE,

#2 Somebody else organizes it. I don't worry about #1 but idea's that help

on #2 would be helpful.

Maybe I can post some pictures next week.

Recycle day today. Clear, chilly (26 degrees), no wind. I put 3 bags of newspapers on the '13 Ford runabout's running board behind the luggage rack, and 2 bags of plastics and glass on the floor next to the pedals, put on ski underwear and lots of layers. The car started on the third pull, and I trundled off. All the young offenders doing community service were enthralled. Their supervisor, an overweight deputy sheriff being paid to sit in a "Prisoners - Keep Back 500 Feet" van and do absolutely nothing, barely cracked a smile.

From there I went to get a haircut. Lots of interest from the staff and customers.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ, not quite thawed out yet

• 2 months later...

March 7, 2010 in New Orleans --

Not a cloud in the sky ---- 73 degrees ---- gentle breeze coming from the north over Lake Pontchartrain.

After taking the Metallic-Claret Chrysler Sebring Convertible back home and putting her top up, it was time to take our 1954 Cadillac Convertible for a brief cruise on Lakeshore Drive.

post-54863-143138183316_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138183319_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138183322_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138183324_thumb.jpg

Not a cloud in the sky ---- 73 degrees ---- gentle breeze coming from the north over Lake Pontchartrain.

After taking the Metallic-Claret Chrysler Sebring Convertible back home and putting her top up, it was time to take our 1954 Cadillac Convertible for a brief cruise on Lakeshore Drive.

You know we all hate you, right? :P

Saturday, March 6th - bright and relatively warm (high 40s - low 50s) here in New England. My wife and I spent the afternoon with my good friend Tom Laferriere talking cars and getting a couple of Packards out for some air. I had the experience of driving two outstanding low mile originals - a '34 Standard Eight Coupe and '33 Super Eight Club Sedan. Both great cars. My wife had her first ride in a rumble seat - a little on the cool side, but she seemed to be having a great time. Cannot get over how smooth these cars drive, especially the Super Eight. Now inspired to get the cover off of my car and get out there.

I know Tom has a standing offer for AACA members to drop in - worth the trip folks, you will not find a better host. Thanks Tom, for your hospitality, the chance to drive a couple very special cars, and a great early Spring afternoon! (Susan, once the cars come out, to me it is Spring in New England!)

Tom, I only wish we could afford that Club Sedan right now, somehow Mary would get used to those one year only front windows!!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
spelling of course... (see edit history)

Hi Steve, thanks for stopping by. It was fun and the video shows that...can you see the smile ear to ear? They are lots of fun to drive.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z922dGxDxBI&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z922dGxDxBI&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

post-37975-14313818335_thumb.jpg

My son and I spent the last week in New Orleans with my church group. We were helping rebuild houses in the lower 9th Ward and the upper West End, and stayed at a church in Westbank. So we saw a lot of the city.

I was struck by how few antiques I saw on the road, although the rough roads we saw accounted for a lot of it in many sections of the city (And I thought Pittsburgh/Boston/New York had rough roads! :eek::eek: ). It was in the mid-50s or higher every day but Tuesday, hitting the upper 60s twice (we left Saturday morning). There were even fewer sports cars. I saw only 2 modern Corvettes all week, including 2 nights spent in the Garden District.

I hope there are many more like you taking advantage of these great weather conditons that we just didn't see. We all envy you, Marty!:)

..... (Susan, once the cars come out, to me it is Spring in New England!)

We saw a lady out today with the top down on her convertible. :eek: :cool: I think that it is still a bit cold at between 55 and 60 degrees to do that. I would say something about her hair color but ..... :D

Guest DeSoto Frank

Well, since you asked... :D

I had my '28 Ford Special Coupe out today; washed some of the winter road-rash off of her...

In the course of my errands, she rolled-over 80,000 miles... :cool:

The weather here in coal-country has been very nice the last few days- sunny, with highs in the upper 40's... no precip until Thursday...

Hope to get a few more driving days in with the Flivver before the weather turns wet.

Still too much salt and "anti-skid" residue for me to think about taking the Rambler out... :(

Dave,

Thanks to you, your son, and your church group for the volunteer work.

I wish you had contacted me (PM, Email, etc) so I could have taken you to lunch, and introduced you to some of the local AACA folks.

We are in town unless we're touring.

I get to Canal-Winchester on occasion to visit old-car friends.

It has warmed up in Maryland finally and most of the snow has melted. First I took out my '40 Buick and then decided to start up and drive the '51 Ford woodie. It hadn't been run for about 6 weeks but started easily. I drove about 10 miles and when I was getting close to home I started smelling something. I pulled in the driveway and turned it off and opened the hood. The fuel pump, which is on intake manifold toward the rear of the engine had started leaking and gas was running over the head and dripping onto the exhaust manifold. The engine was warmed up and the gas was actually steaming on the engine. It must have been my lucky day because it didn't catch on fire. Ater it had cooled I started it and found the fuel pump was shotting a small stream of gas out a port in the pump. I have heard this happens when the diaphragm fails. Whew! glad there was no fire.

Marty, your '41 Cadillac convertible is a beauty. You sure have a great collection of cars!

Edited by michel88 (see edit history)

Woody Michel,

Thanks for your generous comments, and WOW !, thank goodness you averted a fire for the sake of your '51 Country Squire, as well as yourself - we need all the good members we can keep. Isn't Owings Mills where they televise "Motorweek"? I've been a fan ever since they were on Public Broadcasting, prior to Speedvision.

Good sunshiny-morning to all from Fort Meyers, Florida. Another 80 degree day for metoday. I am spending a couple days with my parents, so Dad just had to show me all the local sights. He was all excited about his retired friend's early brass car, so we drove around the neighborhood looking for Blue Bird Lane. :confused: Rounding a corner, lo and behold, we ran up on Ted warming up his T driving down a side street.

We followed Ted back to his house. He was driving a 1918 Ford T roadster, top down, driver smiling. Ted no sooner stopped when he jumped out of the right door, the only door:) and invited me in for a ride. Oh yes. he loved pushing that old T around the corner streets, hardly ever pulling back on the hand throttle. The little T had a shiny black paint job and was running like a top. After my ride he invited dad to ride along. I could swear that the right rear tire spun when he let the clutch go. More evidence was the fact that the tire in question had very little thread compared to the left one. After everyone got their ride, Ted pulled her back in the carport and closed the "garage", a very large chain attached to the concrete floor with big locks and also another big chain "corralling" the little car inside the car port. WOW! Of course anyone stealing this little car, even without the chains, would have to use a roll back truck. After-all, how many people today know how to operate a car with a middle floor pedal that serves as a reverse gear? :D

Fun times to see my older family and friends turn back into kids! ;)

Back to Virginia tonight. Everyone says that my funny way of speaking (tongue) needs to be back in its element..red neck town! :cool:

So, I guess I've worn out my welcome.

Wayne

Guest DeSoto Frank

"Back to Virginia tonight. Everyone says that my funny way of speaking (tongue) needs to be back in its element..red neck town!"

That's because there's so few native Southerners left in Florida - they're outnumbered by "transplants" ! ;)

( Personally, I always loved the way my Virginia relatives spoke... Albemarle, Greene, and Augusta Counties :) )

Was that a stock T you were tearing around in, or did it have some period speed parts ?

Edited by DeSoto Frank (see edit history)

Was that a stock T you were tearing around in, or did it have some period speed parts ?

Is was bone stock Frank. The fellow had gotten the radiator repaired in the past. He had also just gotten two new front tires put on. Took the fellow 4 hours to put them on. :eek::D

He told Dad's buddy, please don't come back anytime soon.

Wayne

Is was bone stock Frank. The fellow had gotten the radiator repaired in the past. He had also just gotten two new front tires put on. Took the fellow 4 hours to put them on. :eek::D

He told Dad's buddy, please don't come back anytime soon.

Wayne

Sounds like he lacked a rim spreader. In the old days, the fellows would time how long it took to fix a flat and be proud of a quick fix. 4 hours would be an embarasment. :o.... Dandy Dave!