1939 Headlight lenses

airbrushguy

I don't have a set of lenses in front of me but from memory they should have GUIDE MULTI BEAM" on them at the bottom. There is a flat across the bottom of them and there is also a Left and a Right that can be found at the top of the lense. If no one else has chimed in by tomorrow I'll dig one out and measure it.

Danny

Y

Terrific, thanks for helping me not to buy something useless to me. However I still need lenses and I'm guessing the part number is not on them, so could someone give me an exact measurement/pic that would help me to identify them when I do find them?

Thanks again

Going by the part numbers quoted it seems that there is no Left hand versus Right drive lenses. Maybe that explains all those highbeam flashes at night from oncoming traffic here in Australia ;)

Danny

If you look in the linked post above you will see a list of RH lens numbers ;)
Y

Terrific, thanks for helping me not to buy something useless to me. However I still need lenses and I'm guessing the part number is not on them, so could someone give me an exact measurement/pic that would help me to identify them when I do find them?

Thanks again

The numbers are cast into the lens
If you look in the linked post above you will see a list of RH lens numbers ;)

The numbers are cast into the lens

The link provided refers to a need for a difference in lenses for Right hand drive cars as opposed to Left hand drive cars. Logically it would make sense to me that there would be a different set of lenses for each but I think that the part numbers referred in the link do not relate to what side of the road one drives on, hence the comment "it seems that there is no Left hand versus Right hand drive lenses" given that US and Australia used the same parts.<O:p</O:p

There is a left side of the car lens and a right side of the car lens. They are different and as such carry different part numbers followed by the LH and RH.

I don't believe that the LH & RH in the info supplied refers to which side of the road one drives on.<O:p</O:p

Each side lens has a recess that is off centre at the top. One side is to the left of centre and the other is to the right. There are slotted holes in the bodies at the top and off to centre. One side is the left of centre and the other side is to the right of centre. There is a clip that locates the lens to the body such that the correct lens only will go on its correct side. The correct side lenses recess will correspond to the correct side slotted hole.<O:p</O:p

Anyway AirbrushGuy, after Xmas Dinner, I’ll dig out a set of bodies and lenses and take a few pictures of it all and post them. (Anything to avoid helping clean up the mess) I’ll measure them up and hopefully answer the original question. The above means didly squat with out the correct sizes.<O:p</O:p

Merry Xmas All !!

Danny:)

Lunch over.

Measuring the lenses across from side to side is 7 1/2". From top to bottom is 7 1/4" and as per Barney, 7" round at the ring. If you have the reflector buckets, the lenses are the same shape and size.

A couple of pics.

1st pic: Back of lenses. Note the recesses for the clip.

ND pic: Front of lenses. Note Multibeam_Headlamps_Guide

If you look hard you can just see the Right and Left above the Guide Multibeam.

3rd pic: Main bodies with slotted holes for clips as per pic 4.

4th pic: Lens in retaining ring with W holding clips and alignment clip.

Good Hunting,

Danny

post-37069-143138150352_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138150356_thumb.jpg

post-37069-14313815036_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138150363_thumb.jpg

post-37069-143138150366_thumb.jpg

One related thought...... when I purchased my 1939, a fellow BCA member, more fluent in '39 commented that my headlights were on wrong. The aim ajustment hole was to the outside. (see attached photo before I corrected them)

After looking at many pictures of Buicks I noticed that it was not that uncommon for others to make the same mistake.

The hole in the side of the headlight housing (with the silver plug) goes toward the center of the car. If you have the headlight mounted backwards, then the lenses will be on the wrong side.

post-30596-143138150473_thumb.jpg

One related thought...... when I purchased my 1939, a fellow BCA member, more fluent in '39 commented that my headlights were on wrong. The aim ajustment hole was to the outside. (see attached photo before I corrected them)

Barney

Did it make any noticeable difference to the beam pattern after you changed them ??

Danny

PS The "highbeam flashes at night " was humour. I've travelled hundreds of miles in a '39 at night here in Australia with the Multibeam lenses and don't remember being flashed.

I can't say switching the lights made any difference in beam patters....... I seldom drive at night and the amount of light put out by the original set-up is poor in my opinion.

I polished the reflectors and have checked the wiring. I don't feel confortable driving at night.

One big reason is deer...... the last 2.5 miles to my house is two lane road and we have lots of deer.... as you know they blend into the background and for some crazy reason choose to dart in front of your car at the last minute.

Archived