92 Riviera GS ??

roadwarrior65

I was thinking of turning my 92 into a GS model. I thought I might black-out all the chrome and add duel exhaust. Similar to the 90's regals. Just wondering if anyones ever seen one done before, if you guys think it would look good, or if you think I'm nuts! Let me know, thanks....

Interesting. . .I thought the factory stopped making Gran Sports after '65, didn't they?

'75 was the last year for the GS/Gran Sport Rivieras. It was a ride and handling package. Prior to that there was also a Stage 1 engine option that could be ordered along with the GS's ride and handling package. Any car with a Stage 1 engine can be identified by a unique VIN. There is a complete "Gran Sport identification" article (3 pages) on the ROA website.

Guest Redwind89

The 89 and 90 Regal GS had the blackout grills and body moldings like the T-types. Then in 91 you got the front bumper with the fog lights, the ground effects kit and the black trim. It wasn't till 93 that they started to color code the grills. then in 95 they changed them again and you lost the fog lights and ground effect and just ended up with a normal looking Regal that had a GS badge on the trunk. I think it you want to try and make your 92 Riv look like a GS , you just go for the blacked out trim, the dual tailpipes and the two tone paint like the 90's Skylarks GS.

'75 was the last year for the GS/Gran Sport Rivieras. It was a ride and handling package. Prior to that there was also a Stage 1 engine option that could be ordered along with the GS's ride and handling package. Any car with a Stage 1 engine can be identified by a unique VIN. There is a complete "Gran Sport identification" article (3 pages) on the ROA website.

Yes, I know. I was kidding, my dad had a 75 GS. I just was just suggesting that '65 was the last of the good ones.

For several years in the 1990s, Regal 2-drs (with or without GS equipment) got the front end with integral fog lamps whereas the same model year Regal in a 4-dr got a "regular" front end. At that time, "GS equipment" was cosmetic plus the suspension and wheel/tire upgrades to include Goodyear Eagle GTs, not to forget any additional interior trim and ornamentation which would be unique to the GS option.

NTX5467

Looking at the 1990 Buick catalog in front of me, the Riv had a "Grand Touring" package available for it. I think it was just a ride/handling package.

The Regal GS had a number of items, including:

* Cloth reclining bucket seats w/console and armrest

* Black wide body-side moldings

* Gran Touring suspension

* Front air dam and aero rocker panels (coupe)

* 16 inch aluminum wheels

* P215/60R16 blackwall tires

* Fog lamps (coupe)

* 2-tone paint (sedan)

* Leather-wrapped steering wheel

In the late '90s, the Regal GS had the supercharged engine.

I was thinking of turning my 92 into a GS model. I thought I might black-out all the chrome and add duel exhaust. Similar to the 90's regals. Just wondering if anyones ever seen one done before, if you guys think it would look good, or if you think I'm nuts! Let me know, thanks....

Dual exhaust maybe, but black out all that beautiful chrome :eek: I'm leaning toward the "I'm nuts" assessment of your idea. I mean I get a thrill every time I touch those REAL CHROME DOOR HANDLES!!!! And that waterfall grille, OH MAN. I've even been considering ADDING some aftermarket chrome pieces to the window posts.

Well, you asked, and I'm only answering. ;)

Since these cars are fairly common in salvage yards.... buy a grill that has scratches and paint that.... either black or body color, save your original in case you don't like the painted version.

The Reatta people are using Camaro mufflers as replacements... Reatta had two outlet mufflers, but the exhaust system is identical to the Riviera except for about 8 inches of pipe under the middle. The Camaro muffler (V8 cars 1989-2002) had one in and two out... most aftermarket muffler manufacturers claim you can use any port as in or out. Do a search on Reatta for more information.

Also.. the firewall exhaust header on "C" series 3800 engines is very poorly made and can be improved but it must be removed to grind out the problem.... this discussion is also on the Reatta discussion.

Last, there was a touring suspension option on Rivieras and you could change the front sway bar to one from a Reatta, it would be larger.... a Eldorado or Seville may also be larger than the stock Riviera. The rear bar on all the similar cars is the same part number.

You also have lots of wheel options from other GM front drive cars.

I found a photo of the firewall side exhaust header. The exhaust exit is welded to the log and it looks like they made the hole with a can opener. Note the ragged excess material at the opening... this amounts to about 20% of the area. By removing that excess, the exhaust should be more efficient.

I also said this was "C" series engines.... the picture is from a "L" series 1991 so the problem carried over.

post-30596-143138155358_thumb.jpg