Plymouth 1938

Guest claudiu1988

Guest claudiu1988

Hello,

I have a friend in Romania who has a 1938 Plymouth. Can you tell me if the rear axle is original to the. Also what do you think about the rims. I think they are not original to the car but to be sure I ask for you help.

Here are some pictures.

dsc00639w.jpgw800.png

dsc01543st.jpgw800.png

dsc00633x.jpgw800.png

dsc00627ys.jpgw800.png

Guest jpg1302

Hello ! (thanks claudiu1988)

well,this is my car,one rusty Chrysler Plymouth P6 or P6 Roadking (1938).I do not know exactly which model is,I ve search every piece of info I could find,but...no result.I have normal windows except the windscreen which can be opened(cracked).Original engine and gearbox...I hope.Different front and rear axle...the axles are from a comunist russian car named GAZ which in all those years (between the wars too)was built with Ford and Dodge license.(the link Site oficial al ARO M461 CLUB ROMANIA - Sectie a Retromobil Club Romania) I do not know how they manage to change the front axle...yes,the wheels are on 16.

Edited by jpg1302 (see edit history)

Guest jpg1302

I will try to search the serial number on the chassis,I do not find other numbers anywhere else on the car.Is there anyone else here who have a `38 plymouth?

Guest jpg1302

On my title is writen only some engine numbers.In that time,in Romania,papers ware make on the engine number...unfortunately. :(

- the car when I have just take it down from the trailer,bad shape..but not too bad :P

post-65466-143138148701_thumb.jpg

Have you gone back and tried to find the original axles? They may be under a donkey cart by now. In poor countries nothing gets thrown away forever.

Not just poor countries either. When my uncle died in 1989, he still had cars he bought new in 1970 and 1950, the tractor he bought in 1952, parts from cars his father bought in 1917 and 1938, and implements from the late 19th century that were on the farm when his father bought the place.

the serial# should be on the left front windshield pillar ,its on a plate that is either riveted or screwed on as for the front axle could you post a pic , even if it is original the ford wheels will fit , they had the same stud(bolt) pattern.

another thing i have found interesting is if it has a crank out winscreen it should be a 37 as that was the last year for them, 38 was a fixed windhield , yet you car has the 38 grill and front end , my guess is it a early 38 export model , which probably used a mixture of 37 and 38 parts

Guest jpg1302

Yes,it has this kind of widescreen.I think you have a point here...I could not find a`38 with this widesceen (all this time I thought that the P6 was with this kind of widescreen),my dash is strange too,I have the Logo in the middle and the guages outsides if you google seach a little you`ll find `37 coupe with this kind of dash(not all of them) and `38 coupe with dash nearly like mine.unfortunatley I`ve been lucky to find the ex-owner,and he does not know about technical problems.

post-65466-143138149287_thumb.jpg

post-65466-143138149291_thumb.jpg

post-65466-143138149293_thumb.jpg

post-65466-143138149295_thumb.jpg

Guest jpg1302

Well,in my papers its `38.I belive,the widescreen was fit there to be more cool or something.I would like to find more info about the export models.

Guest jpg1302

Does anybody know which is the original model of the door handle,window regulator handle(or parts of those)...and if those light bulbs socket are from the correct headlight.I do not understand where or how did the car have the doorlock.:confused:

post-65466-143138149717_thumb.jpg

post-65466-143138149722_thumb.jpg

The serial number was stamped on the chassis frame. It should be on the right (passenger) side around the area of the front axle.

The engine number was stamped on the left side just left of the rear front spring hanger.

These numbers are difficult to see at best.

Back then cars had one door lock on the outside located on the front passenger door.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest 38Plymouth

I own a 1938 Plymouth and I can be 100% certain that the wheels and diff are NOT 1938 Plymouth. Rusty OToole mentioned that they might be from a Soviet car, possible. I'm no expert on WW2 military vehicles but it looks a lot like Jeep or similar. Even the colour looks like olive drab. As for the body of the car, it is likely to be a P5, as the P6 or Deluxe has opening rear 1/4 windows and side mouldings. I can see no holes in the panels for these mouldings.

Good luck with the restoration.

Dallas

Guest 38Plymouth

Hi again, the handle third one down on the right of the picture is correct. It is an external handle for 1937/1938. Same handle on all Chrysler products in Australia. The mounting flange is also correct and they break easily as they are made from rubbish metal. The handle bottom left and above it looks like bonnet release handles but seems to be missing the shaft.

In your second picture, the top left flange is an external door handle mount and the flange just next to it and down slightly looks like the right shape for the boot handle.

As for interior door/window handles, I don't think any of yours are correct. I understand they were a type of 'bone' finish and were prone to deterioration. In both my cars I have used interior handles from a FJ Holden (an Australian made car) as the fittings are the same and they are made of steel and are chromed. So they look good, they work and only the purists know they are incorrect.

I hope that has been helful.

Dallas

...snip...

Back then cars had one door lock on the outside located on the front passenger door.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

The car would have only one outside key lock, on the front passenger door as Bill wrote.

However all doors had inside actuated locks. The door handle, when moved in the direction opposite that needed to open the door, should click into a lock position. On my 1933 that would be raising the door handle up. On the 1963 Dodge truck I once had it was pressing the door handle forward. Not sure what direction it would be on a 1938, but your inside door handles are also your inside lock controls.

Passenger door ?now that is wierd...why passenger?

The locking passenger door handle was to try to protect people from getting run over while trying to open their car. Harder to get hit when you are opening the car from the sidewalk.

Guest 38Plymouth

In Australia they only had one door lock and that too was on the passenger side, this being the left hand door. Funny, I always assumed that this was because we built our bodies locally (TJ Richards) but used US imported doors. That means if I get a right hand door from the US I can put a lock in that suits me better. The reverse would also apply for people with left hand drive cars!

Oh and on the subject of body numbers: The TJR bodies have it stamped on the left side on top of the cowl, visible when you open the left bonnet (hood) panel.

Dallas

• 4 months later...
Passenger door ?now that is wierd...why passenger?

This was a big safety issue for quite a while. Perhaps because roads were narrower (just my speculating), or some other reason, it was actually illegal in most areas to enter a car parked on the street by the drivers door. A lot of old movies show people entering their cars on the passenger side.

Regarding this hybrid '38 Ply, I just want to say that I don't think that it's an early '38 because it would have the "bug-eyed" headlights that were characteristic to the early '38s if it were.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest quicktilley66

i have a 1938 plymouth rear end complete with maybe wheels. i'll have to check the wheels. i just took it out of the car (1938 plymouth 2 door). u can contact me ay quicktilley66 yahoo. id sell it for $300 plus shipping.

• 4 months later...
Guest tilidoc

Cred ca stiu pe unde gasesti un diferential original,asta daca nu a dat cineva de el inainte.Am avut in curte o masina din asta dar din pacate l-a pacalit cineva pe tatal meu sa i-o vanda.