buzzflood

What is this Seville part?

I removed this semi-transparent white plastic case from somewhere behind the dashboard of a 1976 Cadillac Seville. Inside the case are circuit boards. I didn't make any notes when I removed this piece, and I have no idea what it is. Can anyone identify it? Thanks very much!

post-64529-143138146682_thumb.jpg

post-64529-143138146689_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply! The photos I initially posted were inadequate. At the time, I was unable to open the case- I was concerned that I would break the tabs forcing it open. But, with a third hand and some coaxing, we got it open. The new pics I’ve posted show the circuit board that was inside the case.

The circuit board itself is labeled '5965202 Guide'; I could find nothing on that part number. The white relay is labeled:

603-146

CDE 1077

I could find nothing on that. The black relay is labeled:

GUIDE LAMP

6AD

US PAT 3768158

I found nothing on the part number. GUIDE LAMP apparently refers to the headlights. The patent number refers to a 'Buzzer Manufacturing Method', so I guess that relay is for the 'lights left on' warning buzzer.

That's as far as I've gotten. I don't know what to call this unit, or what other functions it might have. And, I don’t know what I’ll be adjusting when I turn that adjusting screw in the third pic. I appreciate any help you can give me.

post-64529-143138146963_thumb.jpg

post-64529-143138146969_thumb.jpg

post-64529-143138146975_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

At first glance, it looks like a headlamp dimmer and sentinel unit. I'll see if I can find the numbers. Headlamp dimmer used to be called Guide-matic. HTH, Jeff

• Like 1

Yes, that's what it is. While you can diagnosis problems with these with the schematics, Cadillac would always say they were not servicable. The interior part number aren't listed. The '76 units were considered the '1st design' or '1st type'. They fit '76-77 all models only. HTH, Jeff

• Like 1

Yes, that's what it is. While you can diagnosis problems with these with the schematics, Cadillac would always say they were not servicable. The interior part number aren't listed. The '76 units were considered the '1st design' or '1st type'. They fit '76-77 all models only. HTH, Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the great information! I really appreciate it.

Buzz

• Like 1

Some more information. This is the guide-matic or 'Twillight Sentinel' unit that mounts to the panel just below the steering wheel. It is supposed to to be 'matched' to the photo cell that is at the top of the dash.

The system uses the photo cell to automatically turn on/off the headlights (much like todays cars) and also to automatically dim the headlights from 'bright' to 'normal' when an on-coming car headlights hit the amber sensor in the grill.

These were used from 71 on up.

• Like 1

hi

1977 seville

what are these ?=

guide me thanks

00000000.jpg

11111111.jpg

I was just wondering if that part was causing your headlights and taillights not to work cause I’m having that problem with my 1976 Cadillac eldorado and I noticed the headlight switch plug was plugged into the back of that box do you have any idea what can cause this problem I check the fuse and it’s good really need help with this