Wha Hoppen to the buried Plymouth??

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

It was stuck in a vault in the front yard of the court house. Had some stuff from a ladies purse includeing a parking ticket (probley my first wifes ticket) in the glove box. Some gas and I think a case a beer in the trunk. Even I wouldnt tuch the beer:D Turned out to be a rusted hunk. I think someone started to clean it and was checking to see if it was restorable.:eek:

Found this online...

Since we weren't able to get an Autoblogger on a plane pointed at Tulsa last weekend to catch the unearthing of a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere buried underground for 50 years, we called Chrysler because we thought, hey, they built the car way back when, maybe they'll have someone on hand with a point-and-shoot. And they did. Max Gates from the Safety and Regulatory Communications department of Chrysler escaped his cubicle to attend the festivities surrounding the reveal of Tulsa's time capsule and "Mrs. Belvedere".

Of course, by now we all know that Mrs. Belvedere spent much of the last half century under water, her underground sarcophagus having been breached by mother nature and flooded countless times in the past 50 years. In Gates' pics, we get our first close up look at the extent to which the '57 Belvedere is ruined with rust. What's interesting is that there are no rust holes or rust spots, there's just a veneer of rust completely covering the vehicle making it look as if the car were plucked from its tomb and deep fried right before the unveiling.

We haven't heard any news about who correctly guessed what the population of Tulsa would be in 2007 and therefore has won the '57 Belvedere, nor whether it's been confirmed that car customizer Boyd Coddington will restore the vehicle before it's awarded to the winner. For the winner's sake, we're hoping he or she isn't given the car in this condition.

Found this online...

There used to be a website dedicated to the car (www.buriedcar.com) but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

We haven't heard any news about who correctly guessed what the population of Tulsa would be in 2007 and therefore has won the '57 Belvedere, nor whether it's been confirmed that car customizer Boyd Coddington will restore the vehicle before it's awarded to the winner. For the winner's sake, we're hoping he or she isn't given the car in this condition.

More from web searching:

TULSA, Okla. - The winner of a rusted 1957 Plymouth Belvedere that was unearthed last week from a leaky vault in Tulsa died in 1979, and the ownership of the car will pass to his closest living relatives.

When the car was buried in 1957, more than 800 people submitted guesses on what Tulsa's population — which was around 250,000 in 1957 — would be in 2007. Guesses ranged from zero to 2 billion, but Raymond E. Humbertson's guess of 384,743 was only slightly off the official U.S. Census count of 382,457.

Tulsa officials announced Friday that Humbertson had won the two-door hardtop Belvedere that drew international attention when it was pulled from the vault on June 15.

His nephew, Donald Humbertson of Woodbridge, Va., said that Raymond Humbertson died of cancer at age 57 and his wife, Margaret Humbertson, died in 1988. Raymond and Margaret Humbertson had no children, their nephew said....

Of course, Boyd Coddington is dead so I'm guessing he isn't restoring the car. Interestingly they buried a Plymouth Prowler in a new time capsule in Tulsa - using considerably better water protection!

Guest windjamer

John thats the puppy I was talking about. I think there are pictures of it on this web site. Boyd Coddington was there and of course had his fingers in it. I guess from what I read he thought he was going to start it right there in the vault. That took real intelligence,but what can you expect from him? Any way, if I remember there was talk of restoring it and also just leaving it as is in a mussium. I just got to thinking of it and wondered ,WAA HOPPEN?:D

Found more info:

Miss Belvedere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In November 2007, Humberton's relatives shipped the car to the New Jersey facilities of Ultra One, a restoration firm whose specialty product is a de-rusting solution which is designed to remove only rust while leaving the underlying metal, paint and decals intact. It is estimated that the stabilization project would take roughly six months or perhaps longer given the difficulty of removing the mix of cosmoline and mud which caked on the car; there are no plans to disassemble and restore the vehicle. There is, however, discussion regarding the return of the driveline and electrical system to operating condition.

As of June 2008, the preservation process was still underway, as shown in a video posted by the New Jersey Star Ledger, with the stated goal to preserve the car as an artifact, not to restore it to roadable condition.

In December 2008, Ultra One deleted all the topics in their forum regarding Miss Belvedere. Attempts to contact Ultra One for comment went unanswered. The vehicle condition and state of repair have been presumed unknown until May 2009, when Dwight Foster of Ultra One participated in a podcast and provided details and new pictures, showing the Belvedere's restoration to be still underway, the car's exterior having been virtually freed of its rust and mud concretions.

Guest Skyking
WOW! That aint no pristine Christine!

John, it would have been if they stored it in a room inside the courthouse back then. They should have put it in a sealed area inside somewhere. It probably would have still smelled new..........

I have it on good authority that the body is as thin and as fragile as aluminum foil--the car was coated in cosmolene on the outside, but nothing was done inside, it was just a production Belevdere that was put in the tomb. The inner panels are just in primer, some random spots got exterior paint, but very few and the body rusted from the inside out, what you see that looks like an intact body is a fragile shell. It's trashed, the stainless trim is about all that survived the entombment. When you are there at the site you can see that the river isn't that far away, a couple of blocks, and the water table high. They built an addition to the courthouse after the car was buried and all of the construction equipment had to go over that patch of grass, the top of the tomb was not far beneth the surface, so that didn't help.

It's hard enough to restore any '57-up Chrysler product, with those sub-standard bodies on those cars.

Well I won't swear to it, but somewhere, someplace, somewhen in the last 4 months I saw a picture that purported to be MS. Belvedere fully restored. Yeah Right. I was at that meet and there is no way that car is fully restored today. Not without a full, large lottery win and that is only the down payment and it would have to be a 12/24/7 operation. Yeah Coddington got his mitts on it for a bit and one of his goons busted a wing vent trying to get into the car.

if you want more info , just google , buried plymouth , i followed the whole saga from its disinterment (thats a fancy word for digging up) there is no way that car is restorable , even with pockets with no holes in them , from what i have seen the only things worth saving would be the stainless trim and some glass, looking closely at the pics the water had seeped in to above dash level, and all the panels above water level were paper thin . what a waste of a car.

It's a bit odd that this has turned into an opportunity to vilify Boyd Coddington, who had nothing to do with the burial and subsequent unearthing of the poor Belvedere. The guy is dead, leave him alone, for Pete's sake. Boyd made several fortunes in his lifetime. Not bad for a person of low intelligence. I'm not a fan of his butchery any more than the rest of you, but give him a break.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Guest Jim_Edwards
:) Lets go back a little, anyone heard ANYTHING new since Dec. 09.??

You can find as near as up to date info in this blog:

Miss Belvedere (2009, gasoline, leak, 2007) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum

You can also find photos of the rust being removed from the car here:

For great rust removal Safest Rust Remover

I spoke to the folks at Ultra One just a few days ago about something else and the subject of the '57 Plymouth came up. As of that time the comments were it would be impossible to restore it. I didn't ask what its destiny would be, but there was some indication that it might be headed back to Tulsa for museum display.

FYI, the guy that runs Ultra One is a serious vintage car guy and if he says "unrestorable" I suspect it is exactly that.

Jim

Guest Kingoftheroad

A neat idea, bury a new car & dig it up 50 yrs later. Being as the burial wasn't as water tight as they thought, now it seems like a waste of a new car, especially now since that Plymouth is a collectible automobile.

Guest 2fit661ca

...does anybody else find it little creepy that "Christine" by Kiss happened to begin playing on pandora as I opened this thread...?

Guest Skyking
Not all stared cars end up as rust buckets,

as I stated in the December 2009 post, they should have sealed it in a room in the courthouse. It probably would have been cheaper to do than digging a hole and buying that cement tomb and hiring a crane.

Guest Skip Jordan

I was really sad when I saw the pictures of the disinterred car. I was a little kid living in Tulsa when it was buried, with great ceremony, as part of the celebration of 50 years of Oklahoma statehood. How the car would look when unearthed was always something back in the recesses of my mind.

as I stated in the December 2009 post, they should have sealed it in a room in the courthouse. It probably would have been cheaper to do than digging a hole and buying that cement tomb and hiring a crane.

I remember an early Corvette was sealed into a brick garage (all openings were bricked up) with the intent of staying in there for eternity. I believe it was in New England. Somebody bought it after many years of entombment and got it out, Except for dust it was in the same condition as when it entered storage. Does that story ring a bell to anyone? Urban legend?

Guest Silverghost

Terry Michales of Pro-Team Corvette eventually bought that walled-in Corvette and hyped the heck out of the story as he usually does. He eventually sold it for crazy money !

Parking Garage with 36+ corvettes~~~

Peter Max HAS a parking garage at an abandoned/converted newspaper building in NY full of these corvettes , one of each and every model year built up to the point he acquired them in 1989 ! He had planned to paint them all with wild-Max style exterior paint-jobs for his Corvette rolling art project.

It was a national news story when the public first got wind about it~~~

When the Corvette colectors heard about his plan there was such a fury that he has put his plan on hold for many years !

He also had IRS Tax issues at this time.

The cars have been sitting & rotting away in this parking garage collecting dust & going downhill ever since. Some are sitting on flat tires & rims. All still have their battery installed. Many have had parts stolen off of them.

Finally he erected a security fence to protect what remains.

The entire collection has been moved at least three times..

I believe today he still owns all these corvettes ! He seems to have forgotten all about them and his Corvette rolling artwork plans !

The cars have been sitting, esentually rotting away since 1989 !

22 Years !

Peter will not respond to anyone on the subject of these corvettes !

I know~~~ I have written & emailed him about them and their fate !

I told him that they were indeed rolling art when they were first built.

Painting them in MAX Style would only de-value them !

They really belong in the hands of corvette collectors !

We do not need any Peter Max Corvette Rollig Art Projects !

Do a google web search on Peter Max Corvette collection Art Project for more details !

What's your opinion on this Peter Max Corvette art project ?

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

joe_padavano said "Of course, Boyd Coddington is dead, so I'm guessing he isn't restoring the car". Has Boyd Coddington ever "restored" a car? All the cars that I've ever seen that he has done were hot rodded, chopped, channeled, sectioned, lowered, or all of the above. I understand his motto was " Anyone can restore car, but it takes a real man to cut one up." True?

Parking Garage with 36+ corvettes~~~

Peter Max HAS a parking garage at an abandoned/converted newspaper building in NY full of these corvettes , one of each and every model year built up to the point he acquired them in 1989 ! He had planned to paint them

Thanks for answering my questuon, Brad. Also the information on the entombed Corvette. I can see you frequent the Corvette forums too.

Here is an Amphicar I was involved in rescuing a few years back that you may remember. It was in 52' of water in a lake outside Boston (Stockbridge Bowl). It faired way better than Miss Belvedere and is now restored, living the good life in Florida! (seriously!!) Same guy who pulled it out was in it when she went down. Humf? Did that sound risqué? :o :eek: :)

The 1st pic is the actual magnetometer scan of it on the bottom (OK, I did some touch up for clarity!:D) The last is the scan as it actually appeared. The rest are exactly as she came out of the water. The engine wasn't even stuck. probably wouldn't have started as I think it was flooded! :D:D:D:D:D:eek:

post-31565-143138428745_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138428748_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138428752_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138428754_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138428757_thumb.jpg

post-31565-14313842876_thumb.jpg