Sign in to follow this  
windjamer

Wha Hoppen to the buried Plymouth??

You've all heard the story of George Washington's axe. Guaranteed original but the handle was replaced 3 times and the head was replaced twice. That would be the only way to properly restore miss Belvedere.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

...does anybody else find it little creepy that "Christine" by Kiss happened to begin playing on pandora as I opened this thread...?

Not all stared cars end up as rust buckets,

as I stated in the December 2009 post, they should have sealed it in a room in the courthouse. It probably would have been cheaper to do than digging a hole and buying that cement tomb and hiring a crane.

I was really sad when I saw the pictures of the disinterred car. I was a little kid living in Tulsa when it was buried, with great ceremony, as part of the celebration of 50 years of Oklahoma statehood. How the car would look when unearthed was always something back in the recesses of my mind.

as I stated in the December 2009 post, they should have sealed it in a room in the courthouse. It probably would have been cheaper to do than digging a hole and buying that cement tomb and hiring a crane.

I remember an early Corvette was sealed into a brick garage (all openings were bricked up) with the intent of staying in there for eternity. I believe it was in New England. Somebody bought it after many years of entombment and got it out, Except for dust it was in the same condition as when it entered storage. Does that story ring a bell to anyone? Urban legend?

Does that story ring a bell to anyone? Urban legend?

Dave, that story is part of the link that Roger posted above.

Thanks, Roger and Skyking, I totally missed Roger's link. How about all those dusty Corvettes in that building? the "Barn Finders" are restless tonight.

Terry Michales of Pro-Team Corvette eventually bought that walled-in Corvette and hyped the heck out of the story as he usually does. He eventually sold it for crazy money !

Parking Garage with 36+ corvettes~~~

Peter Max HAS a parking garage at an abandoned/converted newspaper building in NY full of these corvettes , one of each and every model year built up to the point he acquired them in 1989 ! He had planned to paint them all with wild-Max style exterior paint-jobs for his Corvette rolling art project.

It was a national news story when the public first got wind about it~~~

When the Corvette colectors heard about his plan there was such a fury that he has put his plan on hold for many years !

He also had IRS Tax issues at this time.

The cars have been sitting & rotting away in this parking garage collecting dust & going downhill ever since. Some are sitting on flat tires & rims. All still have their battery installed. Many have had parts stolen off of them.

Finally he erected a security fence to protect what remains.

The entire collection has been moved at least three times..

I believe today he still owns all these corvettes ! He seems to have forgotten all about them and his Corvette rolling artwork plans !

The cars have been sitting, esentually rotting away since 1989 !

22 Years !

Peter will not respond to anyone on the subject of these corvettes !

I know~~~ I have written & emailed him about them and their fate !

I told him that they were indeed rolling art when they were first built.

Painting them in MAX Style would only de-value them !

They really belong in the hands of corvette collectors !

We do not need any Peter Max Corvette Rollig Art Projects !

Do a google web search on Peter Max Corvette collection Art Project for more details !

What's your opinion on this Peter Max Corvette art project ?

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

joe_padavano said "Of course, Boyd Coddington is dead, so I'm guessing he isn't restoring the car". Has Boyd Coddington ever "restored" a car? All the cars that I've ever seen that he has done were hot rodded, chopped, channeled, sectioned, lowered, or all of the above. I understand his motto was " Anyone can restore car, but it takes a real man to cut one up." True?

Parking Garage with 36+ corvettes~~~

Peter Max HAS a parking garage at an abandoned/converted newspaper building in NY full of these corvettes , one of each and every model year built up to the point he acquired them in 1989 ! He had planned to paint them

Thanks for answering my questuon, Brad. Also the information on the entombed Corvette. I can see you frequent the Corvette forums too.

Here is an Amphicar I was involved in rescuing a few years back that you may remember. It was in 52' of water in a lake outside Boston (Stockbridge Bowl). It faired way better than Miss Belvedere and is now restored, living the good life in Florida! (seriously!!) Same guy who pulled it out was in it when she went down. Humf? Did that sound risqué? :o :eek: :)

The 1st pic is the actual magnetometer scan of it on the bottom (OK, I did some touch up for clarity!:D) The last is the scan as it actually appeared. The rest are exactly as she came out of the water. The engine wasn't even stuck. probably wouldn't have started as I think it was flooded! :D:D:D:D:D:eek:

post-31565-143138428745_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138428748_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138428752_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138428754_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138428757_thumb.jpg

post-31565-14313842876_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

John, how long was it down for?

Guest my3buicks

amazing condition then for that long under water

Here's a story about a Harley motorcycle that was dug up after 48 years underground in Belgium...

Editiepajot : LIEDEKERKE ? Harley-Davidson 48 jaar onder de grond

editiepajot_liedekerke_harley_foto_01_willy_appelmans.jpg?1256194450

Following is a very loose translation of the article (it's really pretty funny!)...

In the past month was September in Liedekerke a Harley-Davidson by David Weaver and Walter Walckiers extracted from the ground that are over stabbing forty-eight years.

How could this then?

* 1937 - 1941: In the workshops of Harley-Davidson Harley, a new W-series was born.

* 1942: America, a Harley in a wooden box and plugged shipped to Europe, especially to Belgium. Arrived get it back together and then the road.

This bike was in the areas of Liedekerke driving around the last pilot Grandfather Paul.

A reminder tells the grandson of David:

- He then drove it around a few years and can still remember some things like on one day that he was touring around the village where he lives (liedekerke). It consisted only of small streets and then he was the only one with HD, but he took a corner too fast and went so hard on the brakes and came to rest on the sidewalk outside the entrance to a pub! He dared anything else and then moving away to the bar to order a glass of beer.

Grandfather Paul himself said: - Amai azo ne moto in the time I drove it another 140 and my legs were behind the motorbike.

The '40 - '50:

But at that time was rather difficult to make ends meet and because they had 3 children at home than it was decided that the HD stand behind their house into a place!

There he stood still for years at a certain moment when the children grew and began to play regularly at the place where it was!

1960 - 1961: Daughter Rita, mother of David excavator fall from the motorbike while playing. Grandfather with many gestures and swearing saying: "Now it's done, da piece of iron out of here"

They will be a deep hole dug in the backyard and that's where the HD at the end of his life.

Until early 2009 in an OPEN HOUSE in Dilbeek

Among the many motorcyclists who together enjoy a cold Belgian beer, the stories on the table. Until someone starts telling me that in Pajottenland a Harley-Davidson has 50 years, 2 meters deep, in between a backyard chickens, is buried.

Many disbelief. Was it because Wally, that story told?

Still, someone came to ask him, "Wally, you are now at the slaver ofwa?" No he told Mario, owner of Harley-Davidson Capital Brussels. I've seen a picture of about 15 years ago in the possession of David Weaver, grandson of Paul Cobbaert. Those who treasure under the ground has stopped.

The motorbike is equally exposed and then the pit back view.

Their existence proved Mario asks, "So what? It can not go on lying there? "

So now the challenge. David persuade the engined was easy to dig, but Grandfather?

To convince him in his backyard from the chicken and pigeon behind his prize with his beloved animals, digging a pit to take out the HD?

Sure enough, after several months and continue to insist on a last bottle of gin which were dominant, they got the permission for the digging.

September 11, 2009 - Armed with all the necessary tools and the like, they are to 08.30us' am ready in the backyard.

08.48u:

David, about knowing where the HD is buried, begins to dig a square. The excavations began.

09.16u:

They will be a piece of iron excavated. Are we good?

This sounds like a side support from a Moto.

Later transpired was a simple ordinary iron table leg.

Still, we continued with full courage dig further.

09.37u:

Paul is spot Grandfather's see what they are doing.

This one is laughing at them in disbelief and watching.

And his wise words, "Alee boys, so dig a pit where nothing is. You sit there a little next hearing. "

After having explained to them about what direction they take, they start with half breath, now the major excavation work.

And then, 10.21u:

Yes, after 2 hours digging and first 3 meters next dug, they emit a band of the HD.

10.35 u: spokes, or what remains, emerge.

Now they do. This is why they are here.

A Harley-Davidson for almost 50 years buried.

15.34u: After 3 hours digging very carefully. And exposing it, even with brush and trowel.

15.57h: the first movement and then a rest break.

They will be carefully attached to a cord still quite a strong part of the framework. And become the first HD in the well corrected.

After this, using a pulley, pull it back the HD from the well.

19.46u: They have been working almost 10 hours, are devastated by this still very heavy task.

But he will be back above ground. David Weaver, aka "Big" and Walckiers Walter, aka "Wally" have their Harley-Davidson.

Re: Underwater Amphicar~~

This just goes to prove that the Amphicar makes a much better submarine than a boat !

There was one that was stuck on some rocks in the middle of the Deleware River.

Some NJ guy drove it in the swftly moving river & got it stuck~~~

This was not the first time he did this stunt !

The Amphicar sat in the middle of the river for over a month before It was finally dragged-out by a tow truck with a long cable!

Several prior rescue attempts had failed .

The local Police & Coast Guard were not a bit amused ~~~

This underwater Amphicar belongs in a museum next to the Swiss lake Bugatti , & Quarry lake Rolls~Royce S-G,

An older friend has often told us about a 1913 Ford Model "T" tourer that was pushed down a meadow marsh bank & underwater in Scullville NJ 50 years ago !

He swears it's still there !

Sad to say it sits in brackish partial salt water.

I seriously doubt that there is very much usable left there today.

:) Thanks for the new replys. I did see some pics. of her at a shop that was trying to clean her up. I have to agree with outhers, What a waste.

(Removed some unwarrented, short tempered stuff)

Sorry about the short temper! He did get a bad wrap (albeit not completely without merit) As he lives there, Billy should have known better if the conditions warrented.

My apologies are to you. (outstretched hand)

John

I now return you to your program already in progress....

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

John:

Channel 6 Action News reported this story on TV locally.

They made great fun of this fellow ! They also reported that he had several other mishapps with this very car before on this very same river !

Perhapps he has never mentioned this to you ?

The poilce were very annoyed with all his dangerous exploits !

So was the Coast Guard & State EPA & other State officials !

The News anchors made a big joke out of the entire episode, and your friend !

The river was running very fast that day as it was just after a very heavy rainstorm !

Taking an Amphicar out on the fast moving Deleware river that day was a poorly thought-out Stunt !

I know this area of the Deleware river very well : as I live and boat in this area of PA often !

The people involved are lucky to still be alive !

The owner and his two passengers had to be rescued from the stranded Amphicar in the rushing river rapids by a Coast Guard Search & Rescue Helicopter and a Coast Guard rescue jump swimmer dispatched from Cape May NJ

!

I still say this was a stupid & unwise stunt !

I'd bet the Coast Guard Rescue Helicopter crew would agree with me !

It took several failed attempts to finally remove this car from the river.

The owner also got in quite a bit of legal problems as a result !

I'd bet he didn't tell you this also ?

An Amphicar is better suited to calm lake water !

I once rode in an Amphicar in the late 1970s~~~ And I have owned boats for decades !

I now have a Donzi 18, Donzi Benchseat,

24' American Skier Eagle, and several vintage mahogany Chris~Crafts speedboats, along with a supercharged Sea~Doo PWC !

I have been boating all my life ~~~

Dad & I have rescued at least a dozen boaters over the years~~~

Several of these rescues were on our local PA & NJ news broadcasts!

We have risked our own lives several times doing so !

The Amphicar makes a very poor boat as it actually wallows in the water at very low speeds and has little extra safety freeboard to protect it from swamping !

Heaven help you if you are hit sidewayas by a boat wake !

The in-water Amphicar steering is marginal at best !

That is MY opinion as a lifelong boater !.

Other opiions may vary .

My Submarine statment was a JOKE !

We all know the Germans built U-boats too ; as well as the Amphicar ~~~

And if you are not very carefull an Amphicar can quickly turn into a U-Boat submarine and SINK !

The Amphicar is what it is~~~

An unusual automotive novilty !

I would never put it it in the same class as ANY real boat for safety and operation !

It would NEVER meet Goast Guard Safety flotation regulations today !

I did not mean to offend you, or your friend, or any other Amphicar owner !

Just calling it like I see it !

What he did that day was very risky and stupid !

~~~ He & his two female passengers could have been likely killed that day !

He may not have such good luck next time !

A fast moving large river like the Delaware is nothing to play around in with an Amphicar !

Especially near the rapids just after a big rain storm !

I hope your friend learned his lesson here !

People in my area are still talking about this Amphicar river rescue !

John: I accept your out-streached hand !

Be very careful in using you Amphicars on the water !