Sign in to follow this  
windjamer

Wha Hoppen to the buried Plymouth??

It was stuck in a vault in the front yard of the court house. Had some stuff from a ladies purse includeing a parking ticket (probley my first wifes ticket) in the glove box. Some gas and I think a case a beer in the trunk. Even I wouldnt tuch the beer:D Turned out to be a rusted hunk. I think someone started to clean it and was checking to see if it was restorable.:eek:

Found this online...

Since we weren't able to get an Autoblogger on a plane pointed at Tulsa last weekend to catch the unearthing of a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere buried underground for 50 years, we called Chrysler because we thought, hey, they built the car way back when, maybe they'll have someone on hand with a point-and-shoot. And they did. Max Gates from the Safety and Regulatory Communications department of Chrysler escaped his cubicle to attend the festivities surrounding the reveal of Tulsa's time capsule and "Mrs. Belvedere".

Of course, by now we all know that Mrs. Belvedere spent much of the last half century under water, her underground sarcophagus having been breached by mother nature and flooded countless times in the past 50 years. In Gates' pics, we get our first close up look at the extent to which the '57 Belvedere is ruined with rust. What's interesting is that there are no rust holes or rust spots, there's just a veneer of rust completely covering the vehicle making it look as if the car were plucked from its tomb and deep fried right before the unveiling.

We haven't heard any news about who correctly guessed what the population of Tulsa would be in 2007 and therefore has won the '57 Belvedere, nor whether it's been confirmed that car customizer Boyd Coddington will restore the vehicle before it's awarded to the winner. For the winner's sake, we're hoping he or she isn't given the car in this condition.

Found this online...

There used to be a website dedicated to the car (www.buriedcar.com) but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

We haven't heard any news about who correctly guessed what the population of Tulsa would be in 2007 and therefore has won the '57 Belvedere, nor whether it's been confirmed that car customizer Boyd Coddington will restore the vehicle before it's awarded to the winner. For the winner's sake, we're hoping he or she isn't given the car in this condition.

More from web searching:

TULSA, Okla. - The winner of a rusted 1957 Plymouth Belvedere that was unearthed last week from a leaky vault in Tulsa died in 1979, and the ownership of the car will pass to his closest living relatives.

When the car was buried in 1957, more than 800 people submitted guesses on what Tulsa's population — which was around 250,000 in 1957 — would be in 2007. Guesses ranged from zero to 2 billion, but Raymond E. Humbertson's guess of 384,743 was only slightly off the official U.S. Census count of 382,457.

Tulsa officials announced Friday that Humbertson had won the two-door hardtop Belvedere that drew international attention when it was pulled from the vault on June 15.

His nephew, Donald Humbertson of Woodbridge, Va., said that Raymond Humbertson died of cancer at age 57 and his wife, Margaret Humbertson, died in 1988. Raymond and Margaret Humbertson had no children, their nephew said....

Of course, Boyd Coddington is dead so I'm guessing he isn't restoring the car. Interestingly they buried a Plymouth Prowler in a new time capsule in Tulsa - using considerably better water protection!

John thats the puppy I was talking about. I think there are pictures of it on this web site. Boyd Coddington was there and of course had his fingers in it. I guess from what I read he thought he was going to start it right there in the vault. That took real intelligence,but what can you expect from him? Any way, if I remember there was talk of restoring it and also just leaving it as is in a mussium. I just got to thinking of it and wondered ,WAA HOPPEN?:D

Found more info:

Miss Belvedere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In November 2007, Humberton's relatives shipped the car to the New Jersey facilities of Ultra One, a restoration firm whose specialty product is a de-rusting solution which is designed to remove only rust while leaving the underlying metal, paint and decals intact. It is estimated that the stabilization project would take roughly six months or perhaps longer given the difficulty of removing the mix of cosmoline and mud which caked on the car; there are no plans to disassemble and restore the vehicle. There is, however, discussion regarding the return of the driveline and electrical system to operating condition.

As of June 2008, the preservation process was still underway, as shown in a video posted by the New Jersey Star Ledger, with the stated goal to preserve the car as an artifact, not to restore it to roadable condition.

In December 2008, Ultra One deleted all the topics in their forum regarding Miss Belvedere. Attempts to contact Ultra One for comment went unanswered. The vehicle condition and state of repair have been presumed unknown until May 2009, when Dwight Foster of Ultra One participated in a podcast and provided details and new pictures, showing the Belvedere's restoration to be still underway, the car's exterior having been virtually freed of its rust and mud concretions.

WOW! That aint no pristine Christine!

John, it would have been if they stored it in a room inside the courthouse back then. They should have put it in a sealed area inside somewhere. It probably would have still smelled new..........

I have it on good authority that the body is as thin and as fragile as aluminum foil--the car was coated in cosmolene on the outside, but nothing was done inside, it was just a production Belevdere that was put in the tomb. The inner panels are just in primer, some random spots got exterior paint, but very few and the body rusted from the inside out, what you see that looks like an intact body is a fragile shell. It's trashed, the stainless trim is about all that survived the entombment. When you are there at the site you can see that the river isn't that far away, a couple of blocks, and the water table high. They built an addition to the courthouse after the car was buried and all of the construction equipment had to go over that patch of grass, the top of the tomb was not far beneth the surface, so that didn't help.

It's hard enough to restore any '57-up Chrysler product, with those sub-standard bodies on those cars.

Well I won't swear to it, but somewhere, someplace, somewhen in the last 4 months I saw a picture that purported to be MS. Belvedere fully restored. Yeah Right. I was at that meet and there is no way that car is fully restored today. Not without a full, large lottery win and that is only the down payment and it would have to be a 12/24/7 operation. Yeah Coddington got his mitts on it for a bit and one of his goons busted a wing vent trying to get into the car.

if you want more info , just google , buried plymouth , i followed the whole saga from its disinterment (thats a fancy word for digging up) there is no way that car is restorable , even with pockets with no holes in them , from what i have seen the only things worth saving would be the stainless trim and some glass, looking closely at the pics the water had seeped in to above dash level, and all the panels above water level were paper thin . what a waste of a car.

So Boyd was going to bring it back...

Yea, they hired him to get the car running................he couldn't get his own cars running.:D

Boyd and his boys were little more than a circus side show at the unveiling, they tried to force open the hood, which didn't like that kind of treatment. But hey, it's not like they ruined something good.

It's a bit odd that this has turned into an opportunity to vilify Boyd Coddington, who had nothing to do with the burial and subsequent unearthing of the poor Belvedere. The guy is dead, leave him alone, for Pete's sake. Boyd made several fortunes in his lifetime. Not bad for a person of low intelligence. I'm not a fan of his butchery any more than the rest of you, but give him a break.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

:) Lets go back a little, anyone heard ANYTHING new since Dec. 09.??

You can find as near as up to date info in this blog:

Miss Belvedere (2009, gasoline, leak, 2007) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum

You can also find photos of the rust being removed from the car here:

For great rust removal Safest Rust Remover

I spoke to the folks at Ultra One just a few days ago about something else and the subject of the '57 Plymouth came up. As of that time the comments were it would be impossible to restore it. I didn't ask what its destiny would be, but there was some indication that it might be headed back to Tulsa for museum display.

FYI, the guy that runs Ultra One is a serious vintage car guy and if he says "unrestorable" I suspect it is exactly that.

Jim

A neat idea, bury a new car & dig it up 50 yrs later. Being as the burial wasn't as water tight as they thought, now it seems like a waste of a new car, especially now since that Plymouth is a collectible automobile.