Why did this happen OR the brake bracket fron hell...

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

I'm in the process of changing out my hydraulic pump/abs unit.

I thought I was moving right along till I tried to remove two bolts that hold the hydraulic unit to the bracket. This is what happened. :)

(see attached pic)

I had to actually use a huge breaker bar to get the bolts to even move!!

Yep, they snapped clean off! :)

The book says 37 lbs to torque them down. Ya right!

I darn near applied 100+ lbs just trying to get them off!

What's up with these bolts? Why are they so dang hard to get out??

And yes, I read that you must use new ones but I still cant understand

why they are soooo hard to get out!

Good news is my company has a machine shop and they can easy-out them

for me. They're awfully tight though..... :)

Maybe I should just get another one from a junked car?

Which cars have the same bracket?

Or are new ones relatively cheap??

Your input please........

Thanks, Kit / 90 Reatta / 85 & 86 Fiero GT's

post-47927-143138145486_thumb.jpg

I have taken off the ABS unit [while still in the car] from the Teves unit. There are three long bolts that go thru the ABS unit from the side. [You also have to take off the 3 brake lines, which I read from a previous post that you already did].

Not knowing what you are trying to do, I am not sure why you tried to take off that bracket.

If you are trying to remove the entire Teves unit there are 4- 15mm nuts that you must turn off. They are located on the interior of the car where the steering column comes thru the floor/firewall. You will need a swivel and the socket must be a deep well.

You also have to remove the little clip that holds the brake push rod in place. That clip is very similar to the one found on the cruise control servo [if you want to practice].

Guest Kitskaboodle
I have taken off the ABS unit [while still in the car] from the Teves unit. There are three long bolts that go thru the ABS unit from the side. [You also have to take off the 3 brake lines, which I read from a previous post that you already did].

Not knowing what you are trying to do, I am not sure why you tried to take off that bracket.

If you are trying to remove the entire Teves unit there are 4- 15mm nuts that you must turn off. They are located on the interior of the car where the steering column comes thru the floor/firewall. You will need a swivel and the socket must be a deep well.

You also have to remove the little clip that holds the brake push rod in place. That clip is very similar to the one found on the cruise control servo [if you want to practice].

Believe me...after this happened I was wishing I had taken out the whole thing! :(

The reason I tried to take out the two bolts rather than the whole thing is because A) the FSM said to do this and B) the bracket would not have needed to have been removed if the bolts hadnt snapped off!

Kit

Before I called Jim Finn to ask him how to remove the Teves unit I also tried to remove those bolts. As both you and I know [and anyone else reading this] they are impossible to remove and that it is not nessesary for the removal of either the ABS block or the entire Teves unit.

You will not be able to remove that bracket at any salvage yard. I would repair the one you have as best as possible and replace back unto your unit.

Guest simplyconnected

Do my eyes deceive me? Is that LocTite around those bolts? If it is, put some heat on them. The bolts should turn out much easier during, and after heat. - Dave

Guest Kitskaboodle

Update:

I called a local Buick dealer and he said the bolts and the bracket are

no longer available. (talking about the ABS pump bracket & 2 bolts)

Looks like I reallly have to get my bracket fixed then.... :(

Also, where do ya'all get the bolts from?

Surely I'm not the only one who has gone through this?

Kit / 90 Reatta / 85 & 86 Fiero GT's